Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photographer's Etiquette (Again)

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    I've seen ppl shootin outdoors in mid-day with flash upwards towards sky and no bounce...waste battery...
    it's not their fault. the bouncecard (or whatever) had fallen off without them noticing.
    sigh.

Skill, positioning and anticipation of movement.Those are the key elements in good event photography.Not always the huge equipment.Certain shots are better taken with a small digicam or rangefinder.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by insignificant.i
    The official photographer for that event was using canon 300D as well.....
    Silver with grip? And a 580EX?

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    haha, quite possibly. Then there's this photog with a Kodak DCS-series SLR shooting an event near the fountain at Bugis Junction. During a break he's trying to shoot this cute kid, with the flash angled 45 OUTDOORS, no omnibounce, nothing....

Regards
    CK
    probably he's using the sky as the "ceiling" to bounce

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    I was at an event at the Police Academy today, where a carnival of sorts was going on and the President was also there. So anyway, I was taking a few shots with my 300D when this photographer using a D100 (I think its a D100), asked me "Like that also can shoot ah?" in a very sacarstic manner. He was referring to the way I angled my shot. And before that, him and another photographer (they both seemed to know each other) using a 1-Series camera kept purposely (cause they knew I was taking) blocking me and shoving me aside. Its quite disturbing that photographers like them can have no sense of politeness or any sense of etiquette. Ah well, just needed to get this off my chest.
    Your blood pressure goes up when u get angry. No good for ur heart.
    When u frown, u get frown lines and expend lotsa energy and flex lotsa muscles.

Either u ignore them and waste no energy or if u insist, all it takes is just 3 muscles to extend ur middle finger to them with an expressionless look.

I lazy to tok much to idiots these days.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    probably he's using the sky as the "ceiling" to bounce
    That's one heck of a mighty fine 'ceiling'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    well..the photographers from the press were very nice, they know each of us got to get the shot so they will quickly snap and move away for the next photographer to shoot

it was just that offical photographer who dont seems to know that he was blocking everyone

somemore it was not the first time...next time i see him again i got to complain to the organiser liao (hope he is not from CS )

wat's more, he is very trigger happy, when the VIP were talking on stage, he can snap dozens and dozens of shots (for the whole 30min!!), then trying out differnet lenses and different ways of bouncing the flash...looks like he failed to get the exposure properly, but this irritates the VIP until he got to turn his face away from him

he also got a tendency to shoot at continous mode without realising that his flash cannot catch up...may be that's why he cannot get the exposure properly
    U noe wad?

That sounds EXACTLY like what I did when I was a noob with my 300D. Nowadays, I try to pre-focus, estimate distance, raise up, 1-shot-1-kill.

U can fire 100 shots and spot on 1 shot. But you are still nothing compared to a 1-shot-spot-on guy.

As a sniper, I guess u know this principle by heart liao.

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    I do both video and photo. Sometimes when I cover events (Video), there will be one clown photographer who will constantly pop up in front of my video camera, blocking the shots. The other photographers will steady pom-pi-pi, either stand bedside me or a distance away. Video is very different from photo, as recording is constant and any disruptions can destroy the whole video.

One case: Wedding... the bride and groom kneel down to offer tea to parents. Emotional moment as the mother is "giving" away daughter... I am only a metre away, recording the emotion... suddenly one of the relative with DSLR zoom in between me and the moment... "Lai lai... pai zhao! Bu yao ku leh..." BLOCK ME!!!!!!!

There goes the video and the moment... destroyed by a hobby photographer... the professional photographer was offset at a 45deg angle getting the shot. Steady one...

Conclusion... Rookie photographers... check your blind spots before getting the shot. Others may be at work.

www.amaranthine.com.sg
    Well, for this I got a suggestion.

Just fire off the most curt words u'd said in ur life, "Scram." and give him a nice butt with ur butt.

In an event, I'll usually let the official photographer have the courtesty of the first shot, I'll take the second. Any idiots butting in between the 1st take and my take with have the nice honour of 1 flash overwhelming their miniscular built-in flash.

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Silver with grip? And a 580EX?
    so that's you......

No I was asking if that was you, haha.

It's really unfortunate that you ran into such people. Unfortunately, yours isn't the first such story I've heard. It is very annoying when people give you advice (in a condescending manner) when you didn't even ask for any. I do understand why some photographers always seem to fight for position. I guess it's their ricebowl and they need to do what it takes to get that shot. But during their downtime, it's their behaviour towards other photographers that's really annoying.

Especially those who openly criticise your equipment.

I remember when I was just starting out, I scrimped and saved for my first SLR set, a Sigma SA-300n. $630 was a hell lot of money in those days (still is!). Then this pro walks up to me, points and say, "this one yours, ah? I think you better go and sell it lah". Needless to say, being a young beginner then, that was a real blow to me. From then on, I developed an aversion to photographers, especially those with expensive equipment. Took me a long time to break away from that kind of thinking.

But it wasn't all bad news for me, though. Shot a wedding for a relative using a prosumer digicam, and a $299 Olympus film ZLR. Yup, I got the sneers again, but the wedding couple really liked my shots and to me, that's all that matters.

Nowadays, when I run into intimidating, condescending photographers, I just smile it off. You say my camera is crap, so be it, lorrrr...

Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

came in a little late....but please refer to my thread

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=140794

obviously there are some PROS too, who think nothing of etiquette, i've got a (nikon) witness too!

nikon witness...
    hahaha but bro i wasnt there le...

hahaha...

Default Stiff competition can lead to foul play

Hi all,

Sarcasm, mockery, pushing, shoving, monkey faces, middle-finger gestures, etc, seem to suggest something. Putting down the competition.

In another recent thread titled "Newbies and events/wedding photographers" in the Kopitiam subforum, I said "Events and weddings just seem to be the favourite flavour of the pie in S'pore, and no wonder, the pie is getting smaller for everyone. (It's already very small.)".

See http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....5&postcount=23

I'm sure you would have seen other camera-users taking snapshots of the said event on an unofficial capacity. Few months from now, a few of these snapshot hobbyists may upgrade themselves to the status of freelancers or even professionals. Then, with an official/press pass hanging off their necks, they will either stand beside you or step into your way.

Everyone is trying to outdo, outperform, outwit, and outlast the other. Some will inevitably, mostly due to their insecurity, strike below the belt. You scream unfair, but there is no umpire in this photography "game" of trying to get a shot, or the best shot. Nobody will raise a red card and send the offending photographer off the event. Etiquette and whatever acceptable rules we make up for ourselves can't be enforced and policed, so some will play foul.

We don't live in a world of completely nice people. We just have to cope and live with it.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Hi all,

Sarcasm, mockery, pushing, shoving, monkey faces, middle-finger gestures, etc, seem to suggest something. Putting down the competition.

In another recent thread titled "Newbies and events/wedding photographers" in the Kopitiam subforum, I said "Events and weddings just seem to be the favourite flavour of the pie in S'pore, and no wonder, the pie is getting smaller for everyone. (It's already very small.)".

See http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....5&postcount=23
    If you have the skills, then this wouldn't bother you a lot, would it? The professionals aren't bothered, so why bother yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    I'm sure you would have seen other camera-users taking snapshots of the said event on an unofficial capacity. Few months from now, a few of these snapshot hobbyists may upgrade themselves to the status of freelancers or even professionals. Then, with an official/press pass hanging off their necks, they will either stand beside you or step into your way.

Everyone is trying to outdo, outperform, outwit, and outlast the other. Some will inevitably, mostly due to their insecurity, strike below the belt. You scream unfair, but there is no umpire in this photography "game" of trying to get a shot, or the best shot. Nobody will raise a red card and send the offending photographer off the event. Etiquette and whatever acceptable rules we make up for ourselves can't be enforced and policed, so some will play foul.

We don't live in a world of completely nice people. We just have to cope and live with it.
    Huh? This world is all about besting others, you mean topping the classes, doing what others can and better is called insecurity?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If you have the skills, then this wouldn't bother you a lot, would it? The professionals aren't bothered, so why bother yourself?

Huh? This world is all about besting others, you mean topping the classes, doing what others can and better is called insecurity?

I didn't realise that I "sounded" bothered. I'm not bothered. I just wrote what I saw/experienced, perhaps a truth that some don't realise or don't want to hear of.

What's "besting"? I don't understand how being genuinely good in one's craft can lead to insecurity. In the case of the rude photographers who mocked the thread starter with "like this also can ah?", I don't believe he was feeling secure, that means insecure.

It's an unspoken truth that many photographers, professional or otherwise, are actually secretly insecure about their abilities. It's in Singapore, it's in Australia, it's everywhere. Most interestingly, it's almost always the male photographers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123