Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographer's Etiquette (Again)

Dun worry lah at least you have a camera... I dun have any leh... Always borrow friend one...

PS. Anyone care enough to donate to this poor girl?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Hi n0d3,
    Can to shear with us how you angled your shots, why does he need to make such a comment, a photographer should know to shoot a subject, sometime the variation of angles can be unlimited, (off cause some angles may not works well.)

Ones should not comment on others how the way they shoot openly, this is unethical, if you are the official photographer you can demand them to get out you way, because you have responsible to have a good coverage of the event.
    Nah, I was just experimenting with my framing and stuff. What ticked me off was that he had to comment on it in such a sacarstic manner. I mean I would be okay or even happy if he told me nicely that why it didn't work/what else would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    hmm..are they photographers hired to cover this event? if that's the case, they should have the priority because it is their duty to get the shots.

but how about this case?

An event organiser invited the press to this event, there were lots of photographers and videographers present. They are supposed to take photo and video for their editorial works.

In addition, the event organiser also hired a photographer to cover this event....after the photographers & videographers from the press stationed themselves, this official photographer came to the front and blocked everyone behind.

In this case, who should get the priority? Both have their jobs to do, but should the official photographer give way to the invited guests from the press?
    Hmmm, not sure if they were the official photographers though. Yeah the example you cited is a bit thought provoking. Hmmm.

hmm..are they photographers hired to cover this event? if that's the case, they should have the priority because it is their duty to get the shots.

but how about this case?

An event organiser invited the press to this event, there were lots of photographers and videographers present. They are supposed to take photo and video for their editorial works.

In addition, the event organiser also hired a photographer to cover this event....after the photographers & videographers from the press stationed themselves, this official photographer came to the front and blocked everyone behind.

In this case, who should get the priority? Both have their jobs to do, but should the official photographer give way to the invited guests from the press?

i don't see any problem if every photog practises professionalism and respect for others.

Deregistered

but how about this case?

If I'm the official, I will move forward, block them or not depends on their luck, because I will need to get my shots, by hook and/or by crook. If they have to kiss my butt while I get the shot, so be it.

But I will not stop nor purposely block them from taking shots, if I ever block, it's definitely because necessary. And them being from the press, should understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i don't see any problem if every photog practises professionalism and respect for others.
    well..the photographers from the press were very nice, they know each of us got to get the shot so they will quickly snap and move away for the next photographer to shoot

it was just that offical photographer who dont seems to know that he was blocking everyone

somemore it was not the first time...next time i see him again i got to complain to the organiser liao (hope he is not from CS )

wat's more, he is very trigger happy, when the VIP were talking on stage, he can snap dozens and dozens of shots (for the whole 30min!!), then trying out differnet lenses and different ways of bouncing the flash...looks like he failed to get the exposure properly, but this irritates the VIP until he got to turn his face away from him

he also got a tendency to shoot at continous mode without realising that his flash cannot catch up...may be that's why he cannot get the exposure properly
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

well..the photographers from the press were very nice, they know each of us got to get the shot so they will quickly snap and move away for the next photographer to shoot

it was just that offical photographer who dont seems to know that he was blocking everyone

somemore it was not the first time...next time i see him again i got to complain to the organiser liao (hope he is not from CS )

wat's more, he is very trigger happy, when the VIP were talking on stage, he can snap dozens and dozens of shots (for the whole 30min!!), then trying out differnet lenses and different ways of bouncing the flash...looks like he failed to get the exposure properly, but this irritates the VIP until he got to turn his face away from him

he also got a tendency to shoot at continous mode without realising that his flash cannot catch up...may be that's why he cannot get the exposure properly
    he sounds more like a newbie than a professional

Deregistered

Did you see how the photographer snapped Poledra when she was being interviewed to go on Computer Times (aka DL). *snap, snap, snap, snap, snap...*

One shot doesn't work always, but if keep machine gun for 30mins, I guess anybody also can be TL

I noticed that press photogs tend to shoot in bursts, maybe 3-5 at a go, and they do a few bursts. Probably to get the shot. I was covering the tsunami memorial for Expo as a freenlancer, and there were a couple of the photogs from zaobao with Canon 1Ds (1D plural, not the Ds ). While they were not rude and don't push/shove around to do their stuff, I do notice they like to shoot in bursts.

You see them in news footages too, when the VIP or some other subject comes in. The number of flashes going off is amazing. 20 photogs with 5 bursts each = 100 bursts of the flash, and that's not counting the preflashes if any

Regards
    CK

Account Suspended

I do both video and photo. Sometimes when I cover events (Video), there will be one clown photographer who will constantly pop up in front of my video camera, blocking the shots. The other photographers will steady pom-pi-pi, either stand bedside me or a distance away. Video is very different from photo, as recording is constant and any disruptions can destroy the whole video.

One case: Wedding... the bride and groom kneel down to offer tea to parents. Emotional moment as the mother is "giving" away daughter... I am only a metre away, recording the emotion... suddenly one of the relative with DSLR zoom in between me and the moment... "Lai lai... pai zhao! Bu yao ku leh..." BLOCK ME!!!!!!!

There goes the video and the moment... destroyed by a hobby photographer... the professional photographer was offset at a 45deg angle getting the shot. Steady one...

Conclusion... Rookie photographers... check your blind spots before getting the shot. Others may be at work.

www.amaranthine.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    I noticed that press photogs tend to shoot in bursts, maybe 3-5 at a go, and they do a few bursts.
    yup...it is fine if they know what they are doing, with battery pack and push up the ISO, no problem for the flash to keep up the speed

that "official" was using a sigma 500 (no battery pack) with the flash head pointing at the ceiling, so u can see the flash only fire once or twice when he burst 3-5 shots at a go. I can bet the last few shots will be under without the flash firing
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

yup...it is fine if they know what they are doing, with battery pack and push up the ISO, no problem for the flash to keep up the speed

that "official" was using a sigma 500 (no battery pack) with the flash head pointing at the ceiling, so u can see the flash only fire once or twice when he burst 3-5 shots at a go. I can bet the last few shots will be under without the flash firing
    haha, quite possibly. Then there's this photog with a Kodak DCS-series SLR shooting an event near the fountain at Bugis Junction. During a break he's trying to shoot this cute kid, with the flash angled 45 OUTDOORS, no omnibounce, nothing....

Regards
    CK

Deregistered

haha, quite possibly. Then there's this photog with a Kodak DCS-series SLR shooting an event near the fountain at Bugis Junction. During a break he's trying to shoot this cute kid, with the flash angled 45 OUTDOORS, no omnibounce, nothing....

Regards
    CK
    I've seen a lot of photographers shoot this way nothing surprising. When the ceiling is like 20m high, they can still happily tilt straight up and fire.

Regards
    CK
    I've seen ppl shootin outdoors in mid-day with flash upwards towards sky and no bounce...waste battery...
    eat. drink. shoot

Very common lah, this kind of people. I've gotten funny looks and sacarstic comments from dslr users when they see my film camera before. I think its a guy thing, comparing equipment.

I think this now depends on how good the official photographer is. Event is not only about the photos you can take. Most people want photographers to be unobtrusive so if you can find a compromise with the press and be their friends, then you'll have a better life with your "team" than having a "competitor". Who knows you guys might cross path again... or next time you find yourself standing on the opposite fence. Of course, as this post have pointed out, there are photographers who think high of themselves so go ahead and screw them back.

Quote Originally Posted by av98m
    Very common lah, this kind of people. I've gotten funny looks and sacarstic comments from dslr users when they see my film camera before. I think its a guy thing, comparing equipment.
    Its not that common lah. I'm a DLSR user but I respect any photographer, even Nokia/Motorola/Ericsson users. It is just about the attitude and not the equipment.

but how about this case?

Normally the press photographers only cover news worthy pictures, once the got the pictures they want, they will stop shooting, and although they from different medias, but they know each other and would not mess with each other.

As for the official photographer, he/she needs to cover everything so all should have same priority, all should give and take.

The official photographer that you saw, maybe is the event organizer found him/her from CS here, those $100 that kind.

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    I do both video and photo. Sometimes when I cover events (Video), there will be one clown photographer who will constantly pop up in front of my video camera, blocking the shots. The other photographers will steady pom-pi-pi, either stand bedside me or a distance away. Video is very different from photo, as recording is constant and any disruptions can destroy the whole video.

One case: Wedding... the bride and groom kneel down to offer tea to parents. Emotional moment as the mother is "giving" away daughter... I am only a metre away, recording the emotion... suddenly one of the relative with DSLR zoom in between me and the moment... "Lai lai... pai zhao! Bu yao ku leh..." BLOCK ME!!!!!!!

There goes the video and the moment... destroyed by a hobby photographer... the professional photographer was offset at a 45deg angle getting the shot. Steady one...

Conclusion... Rookie photographers... check your blind spots before getting the shot. Others may be at work.

www.amaranthine.com.sg
    eeeeh!

i heard of a videographer(full-time some more),
    that physically ZOOM in from another wedding photog friend.

guess its not just the rookies and/or photog.

The official photographer for that event was using canon 300D as well.....

My sympathy goes to you. Next time if you meet with this kind of situation, this is what you can do, or at least what I'll do:

1. Take a snap shot of them and post them here. We 'mark' them and let them know this is not right. Please don't do it the next time round. So what if they have pro cams? Making them 'malu' is the way to cure this kind of 'disease'. Singaporeans are scared dead of embarassement.

2. Post some super pics of yours and challenge them here. We'll all be the judge.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast