Thread: Lightroom Mobile Viewing

Default Lightroom Mobile Viewing

Hi all. Does anyone has any experience with Lightroom Mobile?

I created a collection of about 526 photos and synced it onto my iPad in around 2-3 hours. After the photos are fully synced onto my iPad, it took a good 2-4 seconds for an image to load. I can successfully slide through 3-4 images that are sharp sometimes, then the next image will have the spinning wheel which takes another 2-5 secs before it gets sharp. This is a pain when I am trying to share the images with my friends and relatives as they have to wait for it to load.

And also I noticed that it needs internet connection too when I am viewing the images. I tried turning off data and wifi and it won't load. I thought the images are already synced into my iPad? The whole reviewing process should be fast and smooth like when I am viewing my camera roll on my iPad. Or am I missing something? Someone please enlighten me.

Default Re: Lightroom Mobile Viewing

I don't use LRm, but these might be some reasons:

Performance

If you're using an iPad 2 or iPad Retina, the processor in these iPads are a little older. They both have the same processor, but the iPad Retina could be a little slower because it displays twice the number of pixels.

Syncing data can take time. A basic benchmark is approximately 1000 images per hour when using a fast connection.

Info from: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...obile-faq.html
    Also, the way LRm works, is via Smart Previews:

After yesterdays release of Lightroom mobile, I want to reiterate that when you sync a collection of images from Lightroom on the desktop to Lightroom mobile we are syncing Smart Previews – not the entire raw files. This means that you should not think of Lightroom mobile as a “backup solution”.

There are a number of reasons for using Smart Previews in today’s workflow including; bandwidth, speed, performance, and storage space. So although you might have thought that Smart Previews were only useful for working with off-line files, now you know that they were designed for and specifically optimized to be used on a mobile device.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2014/04...-previews.html
    You can try to enable offline editing and download the entire collection as described, and see if that helps:

You can use Lightroom mobile when you're not connected to the Internet, but first set your collections to offline mode. To work entirely offline, select the three dots at the lower right of a collection window, and choose Enable Offline Editing. Select Download to download the entire collection to your iPad. To sync data, however, you need an Internet connection.

Info from: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...obile-faq.html

Thank you very much. Solution 3 worked for me. But 900 plus mb for 500 plus photos is quite a bit. It would be good if adobe allows user to chose if they would like to edit their images on the iPad. Because if not like in my case where I only wanted to select, reject and show images to my friend, then it could generate smaller files that for my iPad and not take that much space.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDevil View Post
    Thank you very much. Solution 3 worked for me. But 900 plus mb for 500 plus photos is quite a bit. It would be good if adobe allows user to chose if they would like to edit their images on the iPad. Because if not like in my case where I only wanted to select, reject and show images to my friend, then it could generate smaller files that for my iPad and not take that much space.
    Glad it worked!

Actually, the file sizes sound quite reasonable to me. For example, if you exported high-res jpgs at a similar resolution (2560 pixels on the long dimension) so that it still looks good and sharp on a retina ipad, at high quality (85-90%), the file size would be on par (or even larger). The bulk of the file size is probably image data, so even if they had an option to export in a format only for image review, unless the image dimension/quality is drastically lowered, the file size may not be reduced by much.

If file size is a priority, the alternative now would be to export your collection as lower resolution JPGs (you can adjust the dimensions/quality) to achieve your ideal file size.

True. Now I got another problem. Not sure if you can help.

I have a whole list of preset folder containing presets in the Develop Module. When I go to Preference and click on ‘Show Lightroom Presets Folder’ the folders in there does not contain any presets. But in Lightroom, when I roll my mouse over to the presets it works. And also when I right click on the preset folder in Lightroom, I only got 2 options which is NEW FOLDER and IMPORT. When I click on the presets, I only have 3 options which is NEW FOLDER. Apply on Import and EXPORT.

The only folder that is normal is the USER PRESET FOLDER. I created a test preset and upon right clicking on it was normal. My objective is to clear all the other presets in the Develop Module and create my own presets. But when I right click there is no delete on anything like that. Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDevil View Post
    True. Now I got another problem. Not sure if you can help.

My objective is to clear all the other presets in the Develop Module and create my own presets. But when I right click there is no delete on anything like that. Any idea?
    Sounds like the default presets (at least starting from LR 4), were not meant to be deleted by end users. Some have found workarounds, but will be restored with each update. Suggest to just leave it, not a big deal if you just leave the default presets collapsed.

As you've discovered, the presets are embedded with the Lr aplication package (Mac) and the Develop.lrmodule (Windows). This means that they'l reappear again when you install the next Lr update.

via: https://forums.adobe.com/message/4402575
    Found via: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lightroom+delete+preset+folder

Yup. The defaults cannot be deleted. Just got to love with it.