Thread: David....

Default David....

Just want to see if anyone have any comments on the pic. Does it work for you and why? TIA for comments.

Don't think i did any PS etc.. The sky is really that dark as there was very dark clouds and rain soon after...

What's that thing sticking up from his feet?

Did you crop? I think you should go wider to include more sky or landscape. Just my 0.2cent.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    What's that thing sticking up from his feet?
    Good qn... i also dunno leh... must see if i have any shots that is not silouhette....

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Did you crop? I think you should go wider to include more sky or landscape. Just my 0.2cent.
    Don't think i cropped as i thought wider will have more distraction...

Blog Entries

tight crop works for me, but perhaps a little more headroom and a more majestic sky to match, this sky is gloomy

Ya man... it rained almost immediately after i shoot this...

i thought the gloomy sky was a major plus point to the picture. the statue depicts David before the battle with Goliath, if you have a wider angle it may just seem like David moving into a certain kind of darkness with light coming from behind, that's rather dramatic.
    Last edited by eikin; 16th July 2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling error

Blog Entries

tell me if I am wrong but i think this statue was to celebrate david's victory,
    anyway I think positive, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    tell me if I am wrong but i think this statue was to celebrate david's victory,
    anyway I think positive, to each his own.
    nope. michelangelo's version is depicting the moment before the battle.

here's a website with a simple explanation on that http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~rbloem/david.html

Thanks eiken for the info... btw, this DAVID is one of the other 2 copies, it;s the one on the hill and thus i can have the sky as backdrop... I did not get to see the original David as the musuem staffs went on strike so i went for outlet shopping with my wife!!

In any case, i doubt taking the original DAVID would turn out better than this version...like Eiken has mentioned, i took it partially also for the dramatic lighting condition... hence, using silouhette...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Thanks eiken for the info... btw, this DAVID is one of the other 2 copies, it;s the one on the hill and thus i can have the sky as backdrop... I did not get to see the original David as the musuem staffs went on strike so i went for outlet shopping with my wife!!

In any case, i doubt taking the original DAVID would turn out better than this version...like Eiken has mentioned, i took it partially also for the dramatic lighting condition... hence, using silouhette...
    yes, have to agree with you totally that the original 'David' will be 'out of context.' it's kind of funny when the original is put inside the museum (and out of its original context) and a duplicate put in the place of the original. it's understandable how they want to protect the original work (from weathering and human destruction) but it does put a question mark on the original intent of the work (as one to be displayed publicly in a piazza) i always find the concept of 'museum' a very wierd western invention

yup... there's also a commercial angle to it mah... move into musuem can charged MONEY!!

actually, i am a sucker for art work eventhough i dunno much but i like to see and think about how the artists draws etc and how it's like to be in their times...

Sometimes, when i see some of the FAMOUS paintings (ie Mona Lisa), i find that it's not that great (at least to me) and something placed obscured corner may be nicer....

It also bring me back to the issue of photography... sometimes, we worshipped photogs because of their certain FAMOUS photos but we have neglected others who have equally or better photos but maybe less famous....

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    It also bring me back to the issue of photography... sometimes, we worshipped photogs because of their certain FAMOUS photos but we have neglected others who have equally or better photos but maybe less famous....
    well, that's a fact of life. chance makes life interesting. ... think OT too much liao

Any more comments before i remove this shots....TIA!

Any more comments before i remove this shots....TIA!

a twilight shot will be more spectacular.

twilight? prob will not work since i shooting silhoutte...