Thread: Using Backdrop stand as Lightstand

Default Using Backdrop stand as Lightstand

What do you guys think?

I'm looking at getting heavier lightstands for use. About 6kg load.

A manfrotto 1004/1005 cost abt $170, while a pair of backdrop stands which feels rather steady is only about $100... but of course no load info on backdrop stand.

IS this commonly done by many or a really bad idea?..thx
    Anyone was similar experience?
    Last edited by saberlancer; 11th June 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Default Re: Using Backdrop stand as Lightstand

Those with no-load info are the cheap kind, and should not be used to hold weight of our expensive equipment.

I ever bought a set of backdrop stand with bar at only $120.00. These are good if you move around (mobile). But I never try mounting them with my expensive equipment, cos I don't think the cost of those stands equate to my equipment cost.

I saw the manfrotto stand, very durable. With load info as per mentioned, it is meant even to sustain weight +/- around 1 kg more? But of course don't try unless you are sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RefPhoto View Post
    Those with no-load info are the cheap kind, and should not be used to hold weight of our expensive equipment.

I ever bought a set of backdrop stand with bar at only $120.00. These are good if you move around (mobile). But I never try mounting them with my expensive equipment, cos I don't think the cost of those stands equate to my equipment cost.

I saw the manfrotto stand, very durable. With load info as per mentioned, it is meant even to sustain weight +/- around 1 kg more? But of course don't try unless you are sure.
    Those china made backdrop stand set uses 2 heavyduty aircushion light stands as the main supports, if i am not wrong. Perfectly capanle of holding lights well.

Yes I've used x2 backdrop stands for lightstand use. Only $100 for a pair makes gd value.

Default Re: Using Backdrop stand as Lightstand

Depends on how you use. Straight forward usage the floor standing, ok.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket