Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Unable to print Jpg file

  1. #1

    Default Unable to print Jpg file

    My son gave me some jpg photos to print for him, however it cannot print out. I tried to check it in the photoshop but to no avail. In photoshop I could not see metadata of these photos. I tried to save it into bmp or pdf file, it just could not print out. The photographer may have inserted some code to prevent printing. As no hard copies print out were given to him by the photographer, now he is facing the problem how to print out the photos. I would like to seek you expert advice to solve this problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    73 kb of 800pix size of jpg file, what you intend to print on?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwong90 View Post
    My son gave me some jpg photos to print for him, however it cannot print out. I tried to check it in the photoshop but to no avail. In photoshop I could not see metadata of these photos. I tried to save it into bmp or pdf file, it just could not print out.
    Please explain what happens exactly, step by step.

    You open the image in photoshop, choose File > Print, and click 'PRINT' on the print dialog box, the printer responds, but a blank sheet of paper comes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwong90 View Post
    The photographer may have inserted some code to prevent printing.
    AFAIK, this can be done with PDF files, not JPG.

    What printer are you using? Drivers updated? Tried printing another image and it works fine?

    Have you tried another software? E.g. default image viewer of whatever OS you are using, Preview/Windows Photo Viewer...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    I am using iMac and Canon MG8170 printer. The file I attached earlier the original file size is 5.5Mb.

    I transferred all jpg files into CF card. I plugged the CF card into the printer. Some files can print but some can't print. Those can't print metadata missing those can print metadata is available.

    I checked all those jpg files that can't print in photoshop but they show just as normal only metadata cannot be seen. I convert them into bmp and pdf files, they just can't print out. I tried to print direct from computer using photoshop or preview they just couldn't work in whatever format also.

    My printer work fine with whatever files I created. Perhaps my son wedding photographer had coded some of these jpg files during PP to prevent others from printing.

    I need your expert view on this issue. Thank you

  5. #5

    Default

    Perhaps try draggin the image to the computer instead of printing direct on the printer with the CF cards. I once encounter this with my own CF card/card reader. Instead of printing from the card/reader, drag it out to the comp and it works for me. Hope this helps

  6. #6

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwong90 View Post
    Perhaps my son wedding photographer had coded some of these jpg files during PP to prevent others from printing.
    Like I stated above, this is not possible lah... unless the photographer is Jason Bourne and has knowledge of some secret NSA/CIA tech that us mere mortals are unaware about.

    If it works fine with whatever you created, try this?

    1) Open jpg file in PS
    2) Cmd + A (to select all)
    3) Cmd + C (to copy)
    4) File > New > Click OK
    5) Cmd + V (to paste)
    6) File > Save
    7) File > Print > Click Print

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Hi the main problem is that you are printing from CF card just print from your iMac it will work fine

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,387

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwong90 View Post
    I transferred all jpg files into CF card. I plugged the CF card into the printer. Some files can print but some can't print. Those can't print metadata missing those can print metadata is available.
    You just discovered one of many good reasons NOT to use the CF card direct printing. Plug the reader in your computer, open the files with PS or any other imge viewer / image editor and print from there. Done.
    There is little need to point to other people or suspect something funky. Just use common sense and use the same method that you also use for other prints.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Like I stated above, this is not possible lah... unless the photographer is Jason Bourne and has knowledge of some secret NSA/CIA tech that us mere mortals are unaware about.

    If it works fine with whatever you created, try this?

    1) Open jpg file in PS
    2) Cmd + A (to select all)
    3) Cmd + C (to copy)
    4) File > New > Click OK
    5) Cmd + V (to paste)
    6) File > Save
    7) File > Print > Click Print
    Thank you for your suggestion. Finally it works from computer direct to printer. But still unable to work from CF card direct to printer. Using many other CF cards to try, it wouldn't work also.

    Thanks to all others who provide your valuable views and suggestions to help to solve this problem.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Finally understood what you were trying to do!

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwong90 View Post
    But still unable to work from CF card direct to printer. Using many other CF cards to try, it wouldn't work also.
    It still doesn't work because it was not designed to work like that.

    My understanding is that direct printing from CF card was designed only to work with original OOC (out of camera) files. The software in the printer will only recognize and print files that can be authenticated as specified by Canon:

    Here's an excerpt from the specs for a similar printer:

    - Printable Image Data
    This machine accepts images taken with a camera compliant with the Design rule for Camera File system (Exif 2.2/2.21 compliant), TIFF (Exif 2.2/2.21 compliant). Other image or movie types such as RAW images cannot be printed.

    http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...=tcm:13-715784
    If it has worked with modified/generated image files for you in the past, you got lucky (your edited files remained EXIF compliant after exporting/resaving), but you can't always expect it to work with files from other sources as the files may not have been created the same way, and it falls outside of the prescribed usage.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 11th June 2014 at 03:32 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    This whole sorry mess is summed up in one phrase - ask the most relevant person involved in the situation and do not go all over the world looking for answers. If you had adked the photographer ....The other one would be a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Unable to print Jpg file

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    The other one would be a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Aka geh kiang...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •