Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Highway

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Sorry boss, the framing doesnt really work for me. If you want to emphasise on the roads, I feel its better if you crop away the flats. The star-lights on the lamp post(if that's what they call it), adds more interest to the picture however my eyes seems to be more attracted to it than the roads. It could have been done better. Cheers!

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I agree with hazmee about the cropping and star burst, and it could be better if there was more red lights on the left side, also you might want to try a rear curtain sync flash to get a hint of cars.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    119

    Default

    what is the bright light in the centre barrier

  5. #5

    Default

    15s exposure at f8? that's good... may I know the ISO setting? the long exposure causes the lights to be starburst. Nice overall shot, just wished the sky wasn't that empty. Good job.
    Saiful Bahar - "I don't care what equipment you use... but what you produce"

  6. #6

    Default

    Nice shot, but I would like to chop off 10% of the sky, and make sky less noisy.
    If the car in the middle didn't switch on/off its lights and caused the broken curve,
    it could be better.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saifulbahar
    15s exposure at f8? that's good... may I know the ISO setting? the long exposure causes the lights to be starburst. Nice overall shot, just wished the sky wasn't that empty. Good job.
    The sky will be that empty at that time of the night.

  8. #8

    Default

    Thks guys for the comments

    hazmee: point noted. thks.

    ortega: just a pity that there wasn't enough cars going away from me to generate more red streaks, i was really hoping more would come at the time the picture was taken haha.

    jhansolo: the bright light in the centre barrier is actually a blinking warning light(to alert drivers to the barrier, i suppose).

    saifulbahar: the ISO setting is ISO 50. i suppose if there were stars in the sky it might look better but pity there's wasn't any at that time.

    dRebelXT: i actually tried cropping out the top part of the empty sky before i posted the pic, but it just didn't look right to me, so i stuck with the original

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saifulbahar
    15s exposure at f8? that's good... may I know the ISO setting? the long exposure causes the lights to be starburst. Nice overall shot, just wished the sky wasn't that empty. Good job.
    Just add another criteria for the starburst effect; the aperture should be small enough (e.g. f/11 onwards). The smaller the aperture, the more pronouced the starburst effect.

    Trivia: Lenses with even-numbered aperture blades will produce a starburst with the same number of points as the number of blades, while lenses with odd-numbered aperture blades will produce a starburst with a number of points that is double the number of blades.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Just add another criteria for the starburst effect; the aperture should be small enough (e.g. f/11 onwards). The smaller the aperture, the more pronouced the starburst effect.

    Trivia: Lenses with even-numbered aperture blades will produce a starburst with the same number of points as the number of blades, while lenses with odd-numbered aperture blades will produce a starburst with a number of points that is double the number of blades.
    Really? Now i know... Thks for the trivia too

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Try taking it a bit earlier and focus the composition more on the lights.... some ambience light (sunset) will prob enhance the photo..But then may not get the light trail due to traffic jam!

  12. #12
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    I'm not so picky in the composition of this piece. I'm more picky over this type of overdone shots. Even if you have the perfect (perfection don't exist, but just make it an assumption here) composition of this piece, what will this kind of postcard-like shots achieve?

  13. #13
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    I'm not so picky in the composition of this piece. I'm more picky over this type of overdone shots. Even if you have the perfect (perfection don't exist, but just make it an assumption here) composition of this piece, what will this kind of postcard-like shots achieve?
    After some considerations, I'd decided to recall on my comment. It's probably not fair to make such a comment.

    I don't know how to remove the post. Anyone could provide some form of assistance?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    what's done's done.. dun bother... YOu shd be able to edit your thread though...

  15. #15
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    what's done's done.. dun bother... YOu shd be able to edit your thread though...
    Apparently I can't edit any of my post made before the software update. None of my previous post made before yesterday could be edited. I doubt you can to.

  16. #16

    Default

    Bro can teach how to take this kinda pic....i using D70s

  17. #17
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helfizad
    Bro can teach how to take this kinda pic....i using D70s
    hihi, helfizad Clean ur private whisper.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default

    private whisper sounds hyper corny.

    haha no one answer the hansolo guy? i think the center star burst is from road works..seems the guard rail of the upstream traffic side is under construction...and some constructionsite Boss has most prob assigned one worker to OT.....?

    wooah Ah Pao that is some trivia man. very, very interesting!! heh!
    one needs a shutter speed long enough for light streaks frm cars, but is there a way to achieve this without having starburst? find that really really really postcardy-clichey. ( not just this pic, all of my night landscapes are too!

    regards
    Doug

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    WAT? WAN TO STALK MI AH? LOLZ
    Posts
    1,916

    Default Re: Highway

    wah... my di pan - CCK

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Highway

    Quote Originally Posted by helfizad
    Bro can teach how to take this kinda pic....i using D70s
    Just mount your lens on a tripod. shoot using manual mode and try say F11 at 10 sec or F16 at 20 sec or so, it will gives you a nice smooth light trails..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •