Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olmpus E-300 or Canon 350D?

I asked a similar question right here sometime ago. So I'll share some of my own views and experiences.

Olympus E-300 or E-1, Minolta D7D, Fuji S3Pro, Pentax *iST D, Nikon D70,D70s, Canon 350D are all very capable cameras.

There are very good lenses for all the above cameras. At some range, some brands are more cost-effective than others, but reverse will be true for other range. It's quite blanket statement to say which brand has cheaper/better lens, and more often than not, stem from biasness of brand loyalty.

Some pointers on my part:
    1) Learn more about all the cameras that are within budget through research on net and magazines. Try not to be swayed by sales pitch and passionate brand loyalty. It's quite easy to detect based on the tone adopted by the reviewer.
    2) Personally handle your shortlisted choice
    3) Understand your needs (size, weight, ergonomics, pontential investments on lens)

The beauty (and sinful part) of DSLR is lens upgradibility. As I mentioned, all cams have their arsenal of respectable lens. But, the key difference is availability. If you forsee yourself upgrading, you have to examine it's availability of lens. Some cams have extremely good and cost-effective lens at certain ranges, but with few shops carrying it, thus at the mercy of their pricing. The option of buying 2nd hand is also much lower. The resale value is also much lower, and time taken to sell your lens is also longer. All these have to be considered.

The important thing is at the end of the day, you have to make informed decisions. I know a few professional photographers who do not use mainstream brands. But they know exactly what they want in a cam, and what lens they will use. They buy one shot, and that's it. But if you're learning and experimenting, you are likely to bump around learning from mistakes (wrong lens for wrong purpose, wrong range etc), then you really need to examine carefully the issue of availability.

Just my 2 cents.

(P.S. Oh yes, 350D, when mounted with a battery grip, does not feel like a toy, even in the hands of pros. My pro-friend was commenting on how beautiful it works with a heavy lens plus flash. Not trying to be defensive here, just trying to give more information for informed judgement)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I'm not talking about the OM system - may it rest in peace - but previous generations of Olympus DSLRs, like the C1400 series and the E10/20 series. While equipped with fixed lenses, they were marketed as "systems", with accessories like expensive tele/wide angle convertors that couldn't be used on newer generation cameras.
    i think you are pretty confused about the 4/3 system. it is a entirely new setup of system by several major companies in making a "common body mount" with "common lens mount" that is other than canon or nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    (P.S. Oh yes, 350D, when mounted with a battery grip, does not feel like a toy, even in the hands of pros. My pro-friend was commenting on how beautiful it works with a heavy lens plus flash. Not trying to be defensive here, just trying to give more information for informed judgement)
    You are probably right.

I did not handle the 350D with a battery grip, plus a flash and a heavy lens. But neither did I handle the E-1 with a battery grip, a flash, and a heavy lens. I do not want a heavy lens. And I am very much an "available light" person. To me, it was not just the body. Having come from using Canon 1V, Leica R, Contax RTS, the whole package felt like a joke to me. I am sure that the 350D is capable of making great pictures. No doubt about that.

But it just did not feel good in my hands. Others will of course differ.

Just as a matter of interest. My hands are smallish, and I thought in fact the 350D would be ideal. But it just did not feel right.

But do not take my reply as an endorsement of pushing E-1.

As what shinken said. All are capable of making good pictures. Just chose the equipment that you need and is happy to work with.

Definitely. To each his(or her) own. I illustrated with flash and heavy lens not because they are needed so that 350D doesn't feel like a toy. I illustrated because how (solid) weight can sometimes become an issue (though not always, especially for ppl with solid muscles )

E-1 is definitely very inviting, together with Fuji S3Pro Yum yum. Photography is really a sinful hobby for ppl like me...

Quote Originally Posted by student
    You are probably right.

I did not handle the 350D with a battery grip, plus a flash and a heavy lens. But neither did I handle the E-1 with a battery grip, a flash, and a heavy lens. I do not want a heavy lens. And I am very much an "available light" person. To me, it was not just the body. Having come from using Canon 1V, Leica R, Contax RTS, the whole package felt like a joke to me. I am sure that the 350D is capable of making great pictures. No doubt about that.

But it just did not feel good in my hands. Others will of course differ.

adding my part... I've handled and played with a E-300 with a battery grip... the grip felt very wobie and loose mounted on the body... the controls were good, but I didn't like the menus on the LCD... personal preference.

ok, let's leave the part about the heavy lenses and big flash out... the thing with DSLR is, you WILL Eventually get one or two additional lenses... be it the top graded one or just normal one, then will only you realise, how limited choice you have. I'm saying this because this is wut my friend (who owns a E-300) says. and another thing is, the kit lens with the E-300, is not tat amazing, the one that comes with the E-1 felt more solid, and bigger appeture too...

Noise level, google a bit, and you'll probably see that the Oly DSLR have slightly worst noise control in their images where, the 350D win hands down on this area...

thou, one merit point on oly, most of their Zukon Lenses are weather seal, even the oly extension tube, have rubber rings around the mount... good stuff... but you'll need a E-1 to fully utilize the weather seal stuff,... ... ... then again, who really needs a fully weather seal body?... I don't... but weather seal lenses are good to have...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123