Thread: Windows 8 question

Default Windows 8 question

Hi all

I bought a new PC recently running Windows 8 and I feel that it's inconvenient to open jpegs and raw files.

Previously, in Windows 7, jpegs are open using windows picture viewer (hope I got the name right) and if I clicked on RAW files, my CS5 would open it for editing.

But in Windows 8, all photo files are opened by whichever program I've chosen as default. If I've chosen CS5, all photos would be opened as though I want to do editing.

Are there any settings I didn't do right?

Thanks!

Default Re: Windows 8 question

Am sure you can change it, like any other previous versions of windows:

Choose the apps Windows uses by default
    Applies to Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1

A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular type of file, such as a song, movie, photo, or webpage.

For example, you might have more than one photo-editing app installed on your PC. You can choose one of them to be the default app that starts whenever you open a photo.

To open the defaults page

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Search and apps, and then tap or click Defaults.

Choose default apps by file type or protocol
    You can fine-tune default apps based on the file type or protocol. For example, you can have all .jpg image files open using one app, and .bmp image files open using a different app.

The default you choose will only apply to your account and won't affect other accounts on this PC.

On the defaults page, tap or click Choose default apps by file type, or Choose default apps by protocol.

Tap or click a current default app,
    – Or –
    If there is no default, tap or click Choose a default.

Tap or click a new default app.

Note

When you change a default app for a file type or protocol, you can't leave it blank. You must select a new app.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/w...s-uses-default
    FYI, this is how I found the answer: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+8+open+files+with

Default Re: Windows 8 question

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Am sure you can change it, like any other previous versions of windows:

FYI, this is how I found the answer: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+8+open+files+with
    haha, got it, thanks a lot!