Thread: Advice on visual design elements in portrait photography

Default Advice on visual design elements in portrait photography

Hi All.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my portraits.

I am hoping you can point me in the direction of finding out more on how I can learn about effectively using elements of visual design in portraiture photography. A photographer who commented, mentioned things like using triangles and dominant lines and posing the arms in accordance to certain lines and this extremely foreign and I haven't much knowledge about these conceits.

After some research, I understand that these are concepts that are the basis if visual design. While I have been constantly reading up on the elements of photographic composition ( which seems similar and yet differs vastly), I believe the success of some photos I have produced incorporate these ideas of visual design even without me realizing. Hence, I would like to find out more to incorporate them consciously in my photographs instead of chancing upon them after the photos are taken.

All the resources online about visual design simply explain what these elements are (eg form, shape, lines etc) and usually point towards its use in landscape/macro photography. I'd really like to know where and how I can learn to incorporate all this into portrait photos. Are there any books/videos/tutorials?

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,
    Norman

Default Re: Advice on visual design elements in portrait photography

Hi Norman,
    You can try going beyond photography, and read books/articles regarding portrait painting. The history of portraiture spans centuries, and things like principles of composition are quite universal across media. It can also be interesting to see the approaches the great artists took to deal with common challenges such as making the subject look "powerful" or "beautiful".

Quote Originally Posted by gprana View Post
    Hi Norman, You can try going beyond photography, and read books/articles regarding portrait painting. The history of portraiture spans centuries, and things like principles of composition are quite universal across media. It can also be interesting to see the approaches the great artists took to deal with common challenges such as making the subject look "powerful" or "beautiful".
    Hi gprana.

Thanks for the advice. Shall definitely look into it!

Much appreciated.

hard light makes people look more powerful especially if the jawline is played up.

soft light usually makes people look more approachable
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

I suggest some books on portraits, composition and painting.
    Lots of the techniques we know/use now were developed by the early painters.

i second what pinholecam bas said. you can visit your nearest public library and look for photography books. those really old ones not the recent ones.

let me dig up some nice books and get back to you on that

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    hard light makes people look more powerful especially if the jawline is played up. soft light usually makes people look more approachable
    Noted Shizuma. Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I suggest some books on portraits, composition and painting. Lots of the techniques we know/use now were developed by the early painters.
    Hi pinhole can.

Thanks for the tip. Will go look for more material. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by itazra View Post
    i second what pinholecam bas said. you can visit your nearest public library and look for photography books. those really old ones not the recent ones. let me dig up some nice books and get back to you on that
    Hi itazra.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it!

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

[QUOTE="zaren;8886124"]some nice tips... http://blog.talenthouse.com/2012/07/...ashion-photos/[/QUOTE
    Thanks Zaren! Shall go and see.