View Poll Results: After reading this, will you still donate to NKF?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, why not?

13 5.33%
  • No, not any more

207 84.84%
  • Not sure now

24 9.84%
Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3456710153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Consolidated NKF Thread

I must say, it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling to read the highlights of the cross-examination by davinder singh. One can almost feel the overpaid CEO squirm. Perhaps his resignation(better yet, sacking) will restore some much-needed credibility to the NKF.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    yes, they need volunteers. hehe!
    When I first attended my business lecture, my business lecturer heard abt the rumours flying around and clarified that all organisations, Non-Profit, For-Profit organisations, NGOs, etc all need money to survive. And it is definitely legal and legitimate to hold cash or asset reserves for such organisations.

Understandably, we all heard about how NKF had to turn away paitents in the 1980s to their certain deaths due to lack of funds.

No doubt they had come a long way, accumulating large cash reserves through proper financial planning.

Being a structured organisation, there is a need for rank and file, CEO, Deputy President and so on. However, being a social, welfare and charity organisation, does it justify the CEO drawing an exhorbiant pay that is like 10 to 100 times the amount of an average salaryman or even the low income earners who are probably drawing like $200/mth?

I'm just waiting to see more juicy details being revealed. Hopefully the contractor who made the claim of 'gold toilet bowls and taps' would appear with the all copies of the order by NKF, contract and invoice and serve justice to the masses. Its the public's blood money after all.

Naturally, after rumours are all verified in court, NKF had effectively destroyed whatever's left of my confidence in them. I'm definitely behind SPH and the journalist in this case.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

this news makes me hate NKF even more. never liked donating to them...
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Got Mrs Goh Chok Tong as the patron of NKF, what do they have to fear?
    That's what I fear.... To lean on the support of a popular patron, a powerful political tool, to get their way for 'justification' of public's blood money.

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    There was a report in New paper about some charity and making ends meet but still have to pay for GST incurred. Maybe Mr DUrai would be kind enough to donate his bonus to help them .... hmm ... maybe not ... anyway ..... "what is 1.8 million when he can get 10 over million just from the show alone. U all too stingy liao lah ...." Should pay more of the donation to the CEO ! kekeke
    1 million out of 10 million doesn't seem like a huge amount in comparison.

Unfortunately, if we do a breakdown on cost savings analysis, this 1m can be used to cover OTHER administrative overheads including maintainence and purchase of dialysis machines (that costs something like a few hundred K?) which can be used to better serve the public.

This is probably one of the biggest scandal to hit town. Unfortunately, by sueing SPH in order to 'protect its reputation' (a familiar tag we hear once every 5yrs?), we effectively see Durai shooting himself in the foot by opening a can of worms. Which might be a good thing for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Quick, everybody, pull out your donations NOW! Too bad if the kidney patients SUFFER or DIE (who asked them to get kidney disease in the first place), we MUST show these GREEDY CEOs a thing or two! Its a matter of PRINCIPLE. All those TV stars who continue to donate their time, they must ALL be real SUCKERS right?

Folk on this forum saving up for 1DM2's and D2x's, not batting an eyelid when buying $2000 lenses, begrudging a few hundred bucks to help some kidney patients, on a matter of principle?? Puh-leeez.......

Why does it surprise anybody that the NKF, the behemoth that it is, is run like a commercial concern, with well paid staff, bonuses and the like? Why does that influence you in any way in deciding whether or not to donate time/money? Prior to the formation of the NKF, most end-stage renal patients died quickly due to lack of access to dialysis, now most DO have access. If those results don't speak for themselves then what does? So what if they adopt hard-sell tactics? Is everybody so thin-skinned that your sensibilities are insulted? They are in the business of saving lives, if I were them I couldn't care less if you were offended by in-your-face charity drives.

Sorry if I'm being brusque, I find this whinging really pathetic.
    Dude, we are looking at a CEO well-paid of a monthly salary of approximately $20K with a 12mth bonus when regular salarymen are earning $2 to $3K on the average, taking home an average of 3mths bonus in these bad economic times.

$20K? 12mth bonus? Over $1m in earnings? Wad's the justification for it?

The court extracts make the CEO look very evasive, particularly in regards to whether he flew first class on NKF funds or not. I wonder if the two folks who lost court cases due to this will fight it out in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    blame the CEO not those who needs the help/service.
    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Does everyone here realize that by not donating to the NKF anymore, it is the kidney patients that suffer the most? Yes, I agree the management has to get their things done correctly, but don't let this serious matter judge your emotions........the matter has been brought into the limelight and these people will hopefully be dealt with, and changes made.

My father was a kidney patient for 12 years, I have seen how it can wreck your body and your mind as well.......take a look at the kidney treatment centers, it could be more important to you to see the patients who are saved! This awareness may be more important than just your dollars.........

Hong Sien
    I believe all of us would feel greatly for kidney, cancer paitents.

Unfortunately, to ride on sympathies of the public for blood money that part of it goes into unnecessary and extravagant indulgence is really cheapshot, hitting ppl under the belt where it hurts most. Appealing to their hearts and sympathies for what it seems like indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    I know about that one too, but that thats not what my point was........blame the managment yes, but not the organization. There are thousands of patients under their care..........

HS
    Yes, but I guess dat u know very well that if the CEO cuts his annual earnings by almost 50 to 60%, every staff who is rumoured to hold 6mths bonus have their bonuses shaved by 75%, wild indulgences and extravaganzas sliced by 40%, ur father (and effectively, other paitents) would have EVEN BETTER care?

thats why when i heard that their staff got alot of pay from my friend who work inside b4, i stop donating. my friend also cannot tahan the pay system that she left, because those money was 4 needy, not inside their pocket.

But my friend say, the staff strongly feel they deserve such pay, y? Cos, they crack their brains to get those money and event etc going...........WHAT A LOUSY EXCUSE.

Seriously, is it so hard to get the money and events going? I really doubt it. Ok fann today you do the peacock dance ok. Zoe you roll roll dice! audience u love it. Adam, you sing song lah. Easy.
    Last edited by swampthing; 12th July 2005 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I've already long ago stopped donating to NKF. Everytime I see NKF, I off the TV and/or just avoid those flag sellers.
    Same here. Anything NKF, I will avoid.

The key reason was the S$180m reserve funds they had. Not becoz of their Indian CEO, until today's papers. Another reason to avoid.

I had been contributing to The School Pocket Fund , managed by the striats times. At least I can see where the $$$ goes to and their operations are funded by the papers (as I presume).

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Got Mrs Goh Chok Tong as the patron of NKF, what do they have to fear?
    I read that she left the courts half way during the trail yesterday.

Perhaps she too was disappointed and surprised ?

NKF CEO Salary is $25K per month. He get 12 months bonus. I have been donating to NKF for a long time. Guess what? This month will be my last donation to them. His salary is already way too much and now we know about his ridiculous bonus. This is way too much. Anything about garmen people salary is shocking. This will be my last dollar to them.

I don't mind paying $1million annually to a guy who can generate a $100 million for me in return. I don't understand what's the "hypes" about. The money from donations are re-invested. Pirority is to save more patients who can't afford their treatments.

Society always support the underdogs. This is no exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    some food for thought...if our donations are being put to good use..ie. helping the needy patients, then who is paying the ceo 12 months bonus?
    I believe the donations collected have been put to good use, as in subsidizing medical bills and dialysis costs of kideny failure patients. That I believe has never been in doubt as many have benefited from it. However, it is a known fact based on a newspaper article some time ago that NKF has a huge reserve in its bank account. Now that's where you can ask who has been or what has been paying the salary and bonus ...

What's worst .... they bring out the personal exprience of the patient and keep telling people what they need is your support blah blah blah ..... I mean , look at their "marketing strategy" exploiting innocent patient for the so called "benefit of the kidney patient" pui ... then most of the money goes into the bonus of staff and best ... their CEO 12 month bonus package despite the economy downturn for the past 2 years.

An extract from the ST

Davinder Singh : $1.8 million , I wonder what is wrong. $1.8 million. Should the man who takes $50 out of his pay packet of $1000, leaving $950 for him, his wife and his children, with no savings, should he not know that some of the money is going or has gone into a $500,000 to $600,000 pay package for you ?

MR DURAI : Surely he knows. (My foot !! still has the cheek to say that !! If he knew, he would've throw the money in HIS face ! )

this whole episode is going to hurt the needy most, not just kidney patients..

donors will be less willing to donate to other charitable organisation as well.

I feel that I should not be too hard on the CEO. Yes i am shocked at the fund's usage. But then i have to say that we cannot pay peanuts for a good CEO. It's like we do not wish people to exploit our (not referring to myself though) skills as photographers, it's the same with him.

He is employed to lead the organization, he is not a person who had chose to give up all his physical wants and needs. If NKF is not able to pay him for what he's worth, maybe they should not have employ him in the frist place. Then he could have earn his 12 mths yearly bonus and benefits else where.

But then again we can't just put any Tom dick or Harry in his position, it might cause even greater chaos than now.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I don't mind paying $1million annually to a guy who can generate a $100 million for me in return. I don't understand what's the "hypes" about. The money from donations are re-invested. Pirority is to save more patients who can't afford their treatments.

Society always support the underdogs. This is no exceptional.
    I agree with you. If he can generate a larger sum in return for the money he is being paid, he is well worth the money.

Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3456710153055 ... LastLast