Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Health Promotion Board Digital Competition 2005

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Health Promotion Board Digital Competition 2005

Hi on your second post.

Which competition are you talking about?

If you're genuinely interested in obtaining comments on that other thread, perhaps you could also let us have the link to the thread as well as the T&Cs (if they are not already exhibited). Not everyone can see every single thread and you may be too quick to allege biasness.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCat
    To yqt,

Respect your stand regarding this issue and for sticking to your words.

However, as a side note, take a look at another recent thread in CS on the topic of competition. You would notice that some of the people who has stood up and voice out against HPB's unfair T&Cs and did not take part has NOT done the same for another competition with unfair T&Cs. Seems to me that to these people, prizes & who is the organizer of the competition plays an important part in how they view the importance of their rights. How to convince organizers to change to a fairer system of T&Cs when the same people who complains about them vocally don't follow up with the correct actions?
    In such a case, even if PSS were to pull out of every competition with unfair T&Cs, it won't have any effect coz photographers would still take part and organizers wun see a need to change the T&Cs at all. Quite a sad irony.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    I have to agreed with you on most of your posting. I do hope the politician from your home country is not from SG. I would hate to have someone like that running my home.
    No, not from Singapore. And it was long ago - nowadays politicians aren't that honest anymore. (Countries/societies show some parallels to the evolution of clubs. Singapore is still young, IMHO one reason why it's doing comparatively well.)

Sad to say, most org, gov or private wants to have the most returns with min. cost. And yes, they all want to cover their behind with an armour plate and at all cost reguardless of who is disadvantaged along the way.
    But we as consumers also look for the cheapest prices for our desired camera/lens/prints, while demanding best service and no-questions-asked warranty. That's just the way things work.

I do agree with your concerns in general, but I think there are bigger fish to fry. There's so many things to improve that affect people everyday; focusing on some insignificant event (in the bigger scheme of things) like this photo competition appears somewhat pointless to me.

Being the perimer club with the highest public profile amounst photo clubs here, it would be unrealistic for PSS to say they are just a private club and nothing else, not when their logo have appeared on many major national photo competition, workshop and seminar.
    Let me give a counterexample: Osama bin Ladin is one of the highest-profile persons/brands on this planet, with overwhelming coverage in national and international media. Yet few people would expect him to represent the world's Muslims.

These expectation is know as public expectations and moral obligations.
    Morals? Ethics? In cut-throat, kiasu Singapore? You got to be kidding

Quote Originally Posted by MadCat
    To yqt,

Respect your stand regarding this issue and for sticking to your words.

However, as a side note, take a look at another recent thread in CS on the topic of competition. You would notice that some of the people who has stood up and voice out against HPB's unfair T&Cs and did not take part has NOT done the same for another competition with unfair T&Cs. Seems to me that to these people, prizes & who is the organizer of the competition plays an important part in how they view the importance of their rights. How to convince organizers to change to a fairer system of T&Cs when the same people who complains about them vocally don't follow up with the correct actions?
    In such a case, even if PSS were to pull out of every competition with unfair T&Cs, it won't have any effect coz photographers would still take part and organizers wun see a need to change the T&Cs at all. Quite a sad irony.
    Hi MadCat
    Are you refering to the Canon Photo Marathon? Well the only term that I find a little uncomfortable with is #3. It says something like this: " We have to let the organisers use any submitted photograph for whatever purposes without any compensation to the photographer. "
    My take is that Canon is a money making company, this competition is use to do PR as well as for marketing purpose ie: create awareness, how many Canon/Nikon/other brands user for an event like this, create a market presence, get some pictures!!!, etc. For them to have this clause is, though uncomfortable, just something they want in order to cover their behind.

For this competition, Basically what Canon is saying is " We're running a photo competition, we'll do the org.ing work and you can have a field day shooting but we'll have the right to use any submitted photos for any purpose and in return we'll give you a prize if you win." Though I would have like that they ask me first, pay me or give me credit for it, at least there is no mention of model release, no mention of defending Canon in a law suit. Hopefully, slowly, we'll see some imporvement.

But I'm sure that they'll not use my images. Why? Maybe because my pix sucks but mainly because Canon will not use an images shot by a Nikon!!! And you can be sure that when I join something like this, it'll more be for the fun of shooting with some friends as the format seems interesting and fun. And all I have to do is let Canon use my images if they want to and nothing else, no loose ends to worry about in the future.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    No, not from Singapore. And it was long ago - nowadays politicians aren't that honest anymore. (Countries/societies show some parallels to the evolution of clubs. Singapore is still young, IMHO one reason why it's doing comparatively well.)
    Thank goodness!

But we as consumers also look for the cheapest prices for our desired camera/lens/prints, while demanding best service and no-questions-asked warranty. That's just the way things work.
    That's why I say " sad to say " Everyone of us are looking for the best deal, for me I try to ask for the best deal but I have to be reasonable. Have always done that.

I do agree with your concerns in general, but I think there are bigger fish to fry. There's so many things to improve that affect people everyday; focusing on some insignificant event (in the bigger scheme of things) like this photo competition appears somewhat pointless to me.
    Maybe you're in a position to improve things "in the bigger scheme of things", you have a wok that can fry bigger fish. I don't but I'll do whatever I can, in my own small little way, on issues that I do know about.

Let me give a counterexample: Osama bin Ladin is one of the highest-profile persons/brands on this planet, with overwhelming coverage in national and international media. Yet few people would expect him to represent the world's Muslims.
    People do not expect or even want Osama bin Ladin to represent the Muslim world because they do not belive in him. He's not respected by the world at large. PSS is respected by most, it is being sought by many org and gov stat board to help out with things photography. It is a diff ball game all together.

Morals? Ethics? In cut-throat, kiasu Singapore? You got to be kidding
    I'm sorry if you view Singapore in this way. I'm sure many here will not agreed with you.

Anyway, to each their own. We're all ind. with our own views. PSS have their own views and I have my own. With my postings, people can draw their own conclusion and the same goes for PSS and the rest of us. We're all judged by our words and actions.
    Cheers
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910