Thread: Insect thingie

Default Insect thingie

Took this today using my new Canon S2. Using the 0cm macro mode on a tripod. Was a killer cause wind was blowing the grass all around.

Would like some tips on composition as well as any other comments. Thanks.

bugger a little blur too centralised and the white thingy in background bugging me. tighter crop + little sharpening, tweaking would be nicer.

Hmm... so something like this??

better off to be trusting your own eyes on the angles etc. hmm in my eyes for this situation, it ends to look nicer in b&w. just my thought. Get closeup (lens) since u like macros.

i got 2 hoya +4's which I tried to use but using telezoom + macro lens + tripod, it's still near impossible to take a clear sharp shot. Any tips??

Perhaps cloning off the white thing in the background would be better than having such a tight crop.

To address the sharpness of your pic, use a bigger F stop for Aperture, eg. F8 and a faster shutter speed, and with that also use a flash for your shots.

I'm not sure what is the S2 IS's performance for Super Macro mode, but generally at very close distance, the image quality of a camera may not be tip top.

Interesting subject. Good effort in making a sharp image, despite the wind blowing.

Composition-wise, it's too dead center. The background can be defocused further. I would have tried to take the picture from the top, with the ground as the background. Or from the ground, looking at its back.

Hi sci, just wondering, wouldn't a bigger F stop cause the background to be clearer? Wanted the background to blur out.

I'm not so keen on the S2 Super Macro mode either, but I haven't really found a good set up with the S2 that takes good Macro pictures. Tried using 2 x Hoya +4's but super duper shaky. Focusing distance with the Normal Macro mode + the +4's is around 20-25 cm.. and margin for error is like around 1cm so I'm wondering whether anyone else has a better idea cause I'm a bit lost. =(

Thanks, will try out the larger F stop + faster shutter next macro shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sci80899
    Perhaps cloning off the white thing in the background would be better than having such a tight crop.

To address the sharpness of your pic, use a bigger F stop for Aperture, eg. F8 and a faster shutter speed, and with that also use a flash for your shots.

I'm not sure what is the S2 IS's performance for Super Macro mode, but generally at very close distance, the image quality of a camera may not be tip top.

Thanks ccube. Still relatively newbie so would love to learn from the pros here.

1 question about taking it from the back with the sky as the background, how do you take such a shot without the object turning out all dark? I tried to get a back shot but all I got was a dark outline. Same goes for similar angles I tried out. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by ccube78
    Interesting subject. Good effort in making a sharp image, despite the wind blowing.

Composition-wise, it's too dead center. The background can be defocused further. I would have tried to take the picture from the top, with the ground as the background. Or from the ground, looking at its back.

Blog Entries

some fill flash will bring out more details and colour from the image.