Thread: Marina Bay Sands and Flyer

Default Marina Bay Sands and Flyer

Hi guys. My first picture upload in this forum, so please don't flame me. I was encouraged by mardellion to post my pics here, so I'm looking for areas to improve in.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, post-processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Just wanted to have a picture of the beautiful skyline with MBS and flyer together

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

It was late at night at gardens by the bay east.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think the pic can definitely be improved, whether in the shot itself, or in post-processing. Just not sure what I should be doing, as I'm a newbie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Marina Bay Sands and Flyer

Composition doesn't work. Why is there a need to have the MBS and Flyer in one photograph? The MBS is "lost" in the cluster of buildings and the Flyer is too close to the edge of the frame. Compositional balance is thrown off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Composition doesn't work. Why is there a need to have the MBS and Flyer in one photograph? The MBS is "lost" in the cluster of buildings and the Flyer is too close to the edge of the frame. Compositional balance is thrown off completely.
    Thanks for the honest comments Kit! I came across the scene and I wanted to capture as much of it as possible. How would you suggest I improve the shot? I admit there's not much breathing space for the Flyer. Should I try not to have both of them together ?

The river bank is so long, just walk along the river bank to find a best angle to "move" the flyer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    The river bank is so long, just walk along the river bank to find a best angle to "move" the flyer.
    Thanks catchlights! So you mean I should walk further right or left? For example, go to the Marina Barrage bridge ? Or further right to the visitor centre so that the Flyer is more towards the center?

Edit:
    Would it have been better to frame it such that the MBS is moved to the left a bit so that the building on the left is not peeking out behind the MBS?
    Last edited by lostfan; 1st June 2014 at 09:48 PM.

technically fine. though the composition needs some clarity. Untangle the clutter, the foliage, the lights, the clouds, let go of some details, what do you want us to see? be specific. the skyline? then what makes a skyline? the silhouette? etc. When you clear your own mind and set out towards that, your photograph changes.

Quote Originally Posted by lostfan View Post
    Thanks for the honest comments Kit! I came across the scene and I wanted to capture as much of it as possible. How would you suggest I improve the shot? I admit there's not much breathing space for the Flyer. Should I try not to have both of them together ?
    I can't(and should not) be telling you what to do. Its really a learning process where probably half the fun of photography is. Cityscapes photography are usual non-utilitarian, that means they will be judged on the aesthetics mostly. You need to make a study on how to work that scene. Its not only about the MBS and Flyer, there are other buildings and elements in the scene and you cannot ignore them. Like I said before, MBS is "lost" to the background of buildings. Flyer is too close to the edge of the frame and the lighted elevation of the Ritz Carlton is a major distraction when you overlap those 2 together. These are the things you should look out for. You should be looking out at these little details instead of preoccupying yourself with just 2 structures.

Blog Entries

Agree with what catchlight said, u have to walk further right so that the flyer actually fills up a gap between the cluster of cbd buildings and suntec buildings. I think it is fine to include the flyer as part of the skyline, but they have to be more spaced out so that it is less constricting.

I would also suggest that u may perhaps want to go further down. I'm not too sure where u stood to shoot, probably on the cycling path, and that is where you are going to get all the plants and grass at the bottom of your frame as distractions.

Try also to shoot earlier when the sky isnt so dark and give some room to the left and right of the frame. Verticals are off. And i'd suggest in this case to go with a cooler temperature as your cloud appears yellowish and "dirty".
    Last edited by nitewalk; 7th June 2014 at 08:26 AM.