Thread: Over Paris II

Default Over Paris II

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Your thoughts of it, what do you see further from this? It came as a pair with Over Paris I

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    The photography of Hiroshi Sugimoto and his series seascapes was the impetus for this photo(series actually) He saw the water and the air, the calmness of the scene. This is almost a post modernist take of his classic series, though with a contemporary twist. Planes, chemtrails, plumes, are such details hidden in the vastness of the photograph. In this sense, we unframe the image, capturing a field as large as the horizon. The details that were once there, or still existing, become part of an underlying notion of space and time.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    It was amazing, it was beautiful. I saw the first scene, then I ran across the cabin to see the other side.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    This was taken at the same time, at the same location as the other photo, yet.... yet.

Name:  over paris cliff2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  66.1 KB

Default Re: Over Paris II

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Name:  over paris cliff2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  66.1 KB
    Compass! WOW!

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but i can imagine what the other two images are ie. if you saw what i saw.

i shall explain myself if it does not concur with your interpretation.

it is a composition that leaves a lot to the imagination (or relies solely upon viewer's imagination)

as I am unschooled in the classics of photography
    and also not very imaginative

I find it almost dull. I will be the first to admit my impression is a reflection of my own uncreativity.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by tengk View Post
    Compass! WOW!

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but i can imagine what the other two images are ie. if you saw what i saw.

i shall explain myself if it does not concur with your interpretation.
    yes please.

I post rationalize so much sometimes I loose myself and the picture suddenly means so much that it collapses onto itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    it is a composition that leaves a lot to the imagination (or relies solely upon viewer's imagination)

I find it almost dull.
    From Orhan Pamuk
    "I thank Allah that I, the humble tree before you, have not been drawn with such intent. And not because I fear that if I’d been thus depicted all the dogs in Istanbul would assume I was a real tree and piss on me: I don’t want to be a tree, I want to be its meaning."

Why compass? Simply a clue to my interpretation.

The calm , the serenity that you saw in such a large scape , i can imagine how you must have felt upon realising this moment and the need to retain a momento of this encounter.

Your capture of sunny side and later on the exact opposite night side, made me think. At that moment, you may have actually photographed the east and west on a planetary scale! Which brings me to speculate that your next 2 images may be the south and the north of our Earth from the heavens!

I hope you now understand why i got ahead of myself and tried to predict ("what do you see further from this") the next 2 images.
    After your 2 images of calm and serenity (since it has nothing to do with N-S,E-W), maybe(again i am ahead of myself) maybe the next two in the series are turbulence and chaos!
    Interestingly, the higher we go, even chaos seems orderly. Everything starts to look beautiful. Maybe that's why those beings up there do not see the sufferings and chaos as clearly as on the ground.

These moments, many of us probably slept through and never gave it a further thought. Thanks to you, at least i have. When i get a chance to look out again i shall ponder this moment or maybe i/we should just sit under a tree and not try to extract too much meaning out of it.

I look forward to your parts 3 and 4.

While "The Langoliers" has a dark side to it, it is in the end hopeful, afterall it is the start of a new day.
    Last edited by tengk; 2nd June 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tengk View Post
    At that moment, you may have actually photographed the east and west on a planetary scale!

Interestingly, the higher we go, even chaos seems orderly. Everything starts to look beautiful. Maybe that's why those beings up there do not see the sufferings and chaos as clearly as on the ground.
    That's what I picked out, and thank you for that!

I will probably not post the others, its a series and may become banal after awhile. I could of course share these with you! Currently I am still finding my view from my finder, and until then, my work might appear jerky, or maybe that's the beauty of it. I might post one more, of a different style, just to get some feedback?