Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

  1. #1

    Default RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Hi,

    Can you please help me convince which camera i should buy for product shooting?
    Preferably Nikon brand. As well as lenses that would fit the purpose. My boss allocated a budget $1,000 - $1,500 :-)

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    Products shoot is not only about camera, how to set up the lighting is important. How to place the products etc

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    I'm assuming that your product will not be too big.. In fact, any models in Nikon's DSLR catalog will fit your needs. As for lens, even the kit lens (18-55 or 18-105 that comes as a bundle with entry level DSLR cameras) will do nicely.

    As for other more important equipment (imo, more important than camera) is the lighting. You may want to read up more on this complex topic of lighting up the product/subject.

    Product shoot (or any other type of shoots) is not just about the equipment, it's also about knowledge of lighting, positioning and composition. If lacking of the knowledge, even the best equipment can't help in delivering good photos.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 29th May 2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Perhaps hiring a photog to do that would be better

  5. #5

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Thanks Sky,

    Maybe my question should be like this; What model do you recommend in upgrading my nikon D70 (kit lens) for products (apparel) shooting? As for the lighting set-up i have 2 century 300i light box. Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Quote Originally Posted by ogie1023 View Post
    Thanks Sky,

    Maybe my question should be like this; What model do you recommend in upgrading my nikon D70 (kit lens) for products (apparel) shooting? As for the lighting set-up i have 2 century 300i light box. Thanks again!
    Just use your Nikon D70.
    If you are shooting apparel, just use your kit lens is fine too. Or get a Tamron 17-50. Also get a macro lens (40/2.8 or 60/2.8) to shoot the details. And use the remaining money to get a mannequin.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th May 2014 at 10:36 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Thanks for the reply daredevil23, but unfortunately i think my d70 calls for replacement alr got a black dot just right on the center and my battery lock is loosen. :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Just use your Nikon D70.
    If you are shooting apparel, just use your kit lens is fine too. Or get a Tamron 17-50. Also get a macro lens (40/2.8 or 60/2.8) to shoot the details. And use the remaining money to get a mannequin.

  8. #8
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Any of the Nikon DSLRs will serve your needs for product photography. Got hot shoe to mount trigger? That's all you really need. If wanna be kiasu then one with PC Sync cord as well just in case the wireless trigger or hotshoe breaks down but unlikely la.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Quote Originally Posted by ogie1023 View Post
    Thanks for the reply daredevil23, but unfortunately i think my d70 calls for replacement alr got a black dot just right on the center and my battery lock is loosen. :-(
    Then clean your sensor and use tape to fix the battery door. Why are you wasting so much energy on something that makes only about 20% of the actual shoot? A new body won't make any difference if your light is bad or your composition is off.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ogie1023 View Post
    Thanks for the reply daredevil23, but unfortunately i think my d70 calls for replacement alr got a black dot just right on the center and my battery lock is loosen. :-(
    Use a blower to blow off the dust on the sensor and use duct tape to secure the battery.

    Of course, if you simply need an excuse for a company sponsored camera, your budget can yield at a Nikon D7100. Or, if you can really charm your boss, a Nikon D610.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Use a blower to blow off the dust on the sensor and use duct tape to secure the battery.

    Of course, if you simply need an excuse for a company sponsored camera, your budget can yield at a Nikon D7100. Or, if you can really charm your boss, a Nikon D610.
    TS's budget only 1-1.5k

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS's budget only 1-1.5k
    Oh... Then 2nd hand?

    Heh...
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Oh... Then 2nd hand?

    Heh...
    D7100 2nd hand is around 1.1k not much left for lenses.

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: RECO FOR PRODUCT SHOOTING

    proper set up is more important than what camera and lens you use.

    D70 and kit lens is just fine, if you want a new camera, D3200 and kit lens set up is more than enough.

    FYI, I'm use the continuous lighting set up. and only one light.

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •