Thread: looking to get into photography

Default looking to get into photography

Gonna get my first camera, was looking at Fuji x100 or Sony rx100. Which one should I get? Only got budget for 2nd

Default Re: looking to get into photography

Um.. then maybe you answered your own question already.

In any case, the RX100 is better as a general camera since it has a zoom lens unlike the X100 which is a fixed 35mm focal length camera. I'm guessing you would find the RX100 a lot more convenient when walking around unless you want to train your composition using a fixed focal length lens.

Quote Originally Posted by spongebear View Post
    Gonna get my first camera, was looking at Fuji x100 or Sony rx100. Which one should I get? Only got budget for 2nd
    Buy what you can safely afford, keep in mind you will need others accessories in the future: tripod, filters, 2nd battery, 2nd memory card, camera bag ...
    If you can't afford now then save more money, prices always drop sooner or later.
    EOS

Do you have any prior experience with photography? Fuji X100 was using fix focal length lens and although it produce absolutely stunning images, it was not exactly the easiest to use.

RX100 (mk1/ mk2 and the recent mk3) all have zoom lens and produce excellent images with its 1 inch sensor and great processor.

In my point of view, I would think RX100 is a better choice. However, it still depends on which camera you like (in term of handling, user menu that make sense, etc.) So go to a shop (Courts, Best Denki, Harvey Norman), request to handle both cameras, see which one you like best. Then do some homework on the price of the cameras so that you at least know the market rate, and if you have budget only for second hand, at least you know you wouldn't be chopped.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks. I have no photography experience. I guess rx100 is easier to use?

That's a very subjective thing and should not be guessed. Go to the shops and have a try there.
    EOS

To me... yes. I find RX100 easier to use. But I don't know about you.

That is why I advise you to go to the shop and pick up both camera, then choose the one you like best.
    My lousy shots

I will recommend to buy a second hand Canon Rebel and push it to its limits .

You can get nice lens which will still fit when you decide to move to better camera body
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Agreed. Should get a second hand DSLR. Perhaps a 550d or a Nikon d3100, d5100, d3200 All are now super duper cheap. And perhaps a 18-55mm kit lens to start off

Someone selling RX-100 for $390
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408771

RX-100 is small and compact to carry around anywhere.
    Good for people who knows nothing about photography, want to improve and know more.
    It is great for advance user who like manual setting.

But I need something small

Thanks a lot!

Do take a look at the Panasonic GM1 or Samsung NX-Mini. The GM1 is a m4/3 camera, small size (around the size of RX100 - without the lens) and you have the choice of playing with different lenses, it was by far more versatile. The Samsung NX-mini is really small (sharing the similar 1 inch sensor as Sony RX100), was also interchangeable lens camera and had really good IQ (at the moment the lens choice for Samsung NX-Mini is limited, but I think it will grow soon).
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Do take a look at the Panasonic GM1 or Samsung NX-Mini. The GM1 is a m4/3 camera, small size (around the size of RX100 - without the lens) and you have the choice of playing with different lenses, it was by far more versatile. The Samsung NX-mini is really small (sharing the similar 1 inch sensor as Sony RX100), was also interchangeable lens camera and had really good IQ (at the moment the lens choice for Samsung NX-Mini is limited, but I think it will grow soon).
    Ok I will take a look. My budget is around 700 so abit limited

Ok I will take a look. My budget is around 700 so abit limited
    From what I know... Samsung NX mini is selling at S$5xx or S$6xx... pretty good price.
    My lousy shots

I believe $700 is just nice to start. There are a lot of great cameras in $700 range.

I highly suggest you to take your time and..
    - Read reviews of the cameras & different systems available in the market.
    - Go to the showroom to try them directly. Try to feel the controls, weight, ergonomics, etc. You mentioned you want it small. But does it have to be pocketable? (Basically things you can't read in the brochure).
    - Rent the camera for a day or two from rental stores if you want more real life experience with the camera.

For prices, you can check and compare from:
    - Clubsnap's price guide list here. It's not always updated but I guess it's better than nothing.
    - Some US based online stores such as www.bhphotovideo.com -> Just convert them to SGD, add GST, and maybe S$100 or S$200 as things in SG are generally more expensive
    - Call or email reputable retail stores in SG such as Cathay Photo, TK Foto, SLRRev, Orion, John 3:16, etc..

Good luck!
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 28th May 2014 at 05:29 PM.

There are many m4/3 bodies with lens up for sale in B&S for under 350. Cheap as a starter set to try you hand. When you need to upgrade the "discount" when reselling will be minimal.

Or a rebel with kit lenses shouldn't cost more than $400. Add a $100 50 mm f 1.8 Prime Lens (fixed focal length lens ) and you'll be able to experiment with Aperture mode and thin Depth of Field
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Did I mention rebel series is really a small?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人