Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving on to SLR

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by edlye
    Have to correct a misconception on the 'slowness' of MF lens or manually focusing your AF lens. Very fast composures and shots can be achieved for candids using the hyperfocal distance technique. All you have to ensure is that your subject is beyond the set focusing distance for acceptable sharpness before bringing the camera up, compose and release shutter.
    You are right. MF, not very slow, but still slower than AF. Hyperfocal distance technique used most in landscape. Best achieved with smaller apature. Nonetheless, there is something to 'ensure' before bringing the camera up, compose and release shutter. Subject distance.

Deregistered

Yah, no batteries cannot use metering and aparture priority. But still can wind, rewind and release shutter.... Sorry. Didn't explain in detail what I meant by no need batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kecak
    You are right. MF, not very slow, but still slower than AF. Hyperfocal distance technique used most in landscape. Best achieved with smaller apature. Nonetheless, there is something to 'ensure' before bringing the camera up, compose and release shutter. Subject distance.
    Not really... In the past when there wasn't AF or when AF was still slow, people could still shoot hyperactive kids and candids.. You just need to zone-focus..
    Even now, it's difficult for AF to catch up with really hyperactive kids running around in a small area... Unless you're using a very fast AF body ($$$) and USM/ SWM/ SSM/ HSM lense.. It's even more apparent if it's low-light.. Whereas zone-focusing doesn't suffer in low-light..

Deregistered

edlye / firefox. Thanks for the reply. Very happy to know in the digital era, there are people like you guys that still shows great pride and confidence in MF / manual SLR. Thats the spirit!

MF will never die!

Better not discuss further. A bit running away from quiton's topic. paiseh.... Sorry, quiton.

Quote Originally Posted by quinton
    honestly, I am not so sure about the budget yet.
    I've seen SLRs selling at anywhere from $200-1700. mking me wonder what makes such great differences in price, since after all all are SLRs.

hazmee, wat's the difference btw a full manual SLR and whatever else is the norm?

i saw a nikon F3 that seems quite appealing, but i honestly do not know enough about SLRs to make an informed decision as to which is a good buy.
    F3 is a very good choice if you wanna go manual.

I started with F65 and find it suitable for those wanting to try out. A 2nd hand one with kit lens should be quite affordable. Probably $200+ to $300.

Do you have any friends, classmate or relative also into SLR? If have, can consider sticking to the same brand. You can get advice or share lens/accessaries with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12