Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CAR suggestions

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Wow, I never would have thought the Vios is capable of 9 secs. What's your launch method?
    1stly, u must know wat RPM your max torque is.

Have your 1st gear engaged
    Rev to about 1k RPM above your car's max torque in neutral.
    let go of the clutch, floor all the way till 1k RPM above max torque
    clutch in change to 2nd gear.
    By now, with a Vios, should be able to hit around the region of 110-120km/h liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Hi,

Thanks for your views. The Civic is above our budget, at $68-70+k. The Altis remains our first choice. Although we both prefer manual cars, I guess we could learn to live with an automatic car Fuel consumption would be a consideration, as my wife will be using the car mostly for work during the weekdays. For me, the car is more like a red-plate car, use only after office hours and weekends

As we will be traveling back to KL fairly often, a car that is reliable and safe is definitely a priority, as is interior space when we need to bring family members around. The big interior space and boot of the Altis is quite nice. And while having a good 0-100km/h timing is of course good, it is not a necessity. I'm too old to race with the Ah Bengs on the KL roads anyway

The Lancer was my first choice, but given its less than satisfactory sound insulation, it has dropped to third after the Altis and the City. I do hope to hear more opinions and suggestions.

Cheers
    If you need to drive up to KL often, then the Altis would be my suggestion. Good build, stable chassis, reliable engine, comfortable ride and low fuel consumption, these are definitely important consideration when driving long distance often. In fact I'll suggest that you pay a few k more and get the 1.8l Altis. Better for the engine in the long run, more comfortable cruising speed. You wouldn't want a car to start rattling at high speed, or the engine to be stressed too much.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Anyone want to buy my 9/00 Alfa Romeo 156? I am going to scrap it in Sep anyways and willing to sell at scrap value. Runs beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    If you need to drive up to KL often, then the Altis would be my suggestion. Good build, stable chassis, reliable engine, comfortable ride and low fuel consumption, these are definitely important consideration when driving long distance often. In fact I'll suggest that you pay a few k more and get the 1.8l Altis. Better for the engine in the long run, more comfortable cruising speed. You wouldn't want a car to start rattling at high speed, or the engine to be stressed too much.
    Thanks, but the $10k diff for the 1.8L puts it out of budget already

Plus I'll have to factor other costs in, such as having windows tinted (prob V-kool - how much in Sg... $1k plus?), upgrading stereo system (a bit ) and all the little bits and pieces that will drive up the cost from the initial $62k that we'll have to pay. So another $10k is a lot of $, though I would of course prefer the 1.8 model. Hell, if I had more cash, I'd go for the Camry

If $$ is a factor, then go for 1.6l then. It is still good enough for long distance driving. Just don't overspeed too much hee hee
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Plus I'll have to factor other costs in, such as having windows tinted (prob V-kool - how much in Sg... $1k plus?), .....
    v-kool - add about $550 (from sales in BM) else about 600-700+ outside.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_lkt
    v-kool - add about $550 (from sales in BM) else about 600-700+ outside.
    Ah, ok. Thanks..

The last time I looked at solar film, I was told that Conqueror was better than V-kool, but slightly more expensive. Anyone used it before or know the price locally?

Take note that there are a few grades for the v-kool. The main difference is the IR rejection %. There is not much difference in the UV rejection between the grades.

The highest grade for IR rejection (also the darkest tint) is about $1k+. The lowest grade is the the region of $700-800.

You will not regret installing the v-kool. It makes long distance driving under hot sun so much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    By now, with a Vios, should be able to hit around the region of 110-120km/h liao.
    Impressive. The car's unladen weight is light i guess compared to other cars in the same category?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Impressive. The car's unladen weight is light i guess compared to other cars in the same category?
    For the Manual Vios, its kerb weight is something like 940Kg or 970Kg.

Very light

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    Take note that there are a few grades for the v-kool. The main difference is the IR rejection %. There is not much difference in the UV rejection between the grades.

The highest grade for IR rejection (also the darkest tint) is about $1k+. The lowest grade is the the region of $700-800.

You will not regret installing the v-kool. It makes long distance driving under hot sun so much more comfortable.
    For the highest grade, does the film have a reflective gold appearance? I believe LTA won't pass that come inspection time eh?

Since V-kool rejects heat do you turn up the temp on the AC? As such the AC has to work less hard so do you notice a drop in fuel consumption asides enhanced comfort during long drives?

For the Manual Vios, its kerb weight is something like 940Kg or 970Kg.

Very light
    No wonder. By comparision, my Fiat Uno is 750kg but I don't think I can do sub-9 in that car

Since you drive to KL often, did you think about buying Proton Waja? Similar price range, looks ok, engine I think is reasonable, my ride in my brother's Waja was comfortable. Not sure about fuel comsumption.

Anyone know if Proton car bought in Singapore can be serviced in Malaysia for a cheaper rates? I think servicing charges also a lot, each time I serviced my car, usually S$200-500 depending on what they (recommend to) change.

Quote Originally Posted by seewhy
    Since you drive to KL often, did you think about buying Proton Waja? Similar price range, looks ok, engine I think is reasonable, my ride in my brother's Waja was comfortable. Not sure about fuel comsumption.

Anyone know if Proton car bought in Singapore can be serviced in Malaysia for a cheaper rates? I think servicing charges also a lot, each time I serviced my car, usually S$200-500 depending on what they (recommend to) change.
    Errm, being a proud Malaysian, I can safely say I will never buy another Proton car again. Waja is not a good car either, lots of problems. Perodua cars are way better

Can anyone driving the new 05 Lancer tell us how fuel efficient this car is?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Do that on every traffic light and I am sure you will need a clutch change within a couple of weeks.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Do that on every traffic light and I am sure you will need a clutch change within a couple of weeks.
    i only shared on how to do a launch.

Never did i mention i do this at lights.
    In fact i dun rev above 2k RPM.

How do u think i can get an average of at least 13km/l all the time?
    My best so far is 17km/l

i only shared on how to do a launch.

Never did i mention i do this at lights.
    In fact i dun rev above 2k RPM.

How do u think i can get an average of at least 13km/l all the time?
    My best so far is 17km/l
    Just joking.

I think that's kinda good consumption for Vios. Handling aside I must say Vios is quite a quick point A to B car.

Dun launch too much, else you not only need clutch change, you also need tarya change pretty soon.

fully blown S13 or S14 still gets my vote hehehe

for the mazda 3, the torque curve flattens out real fast in mid band.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast