Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CAR suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    Altis is a new model in Sg. Early buyers prob got it last year. Altis is hot selling car in Msia
    Oh I see. I've seen the Altis in Malaysia for at least the last 4 years already... guess I'll have to check with my Malaysian friends who have one... How do you find the Altis so far Jeff? How's the road noise and suspension?

Just had my Altis for about 4 months. Some observations which hopfully will help in your decisions.

1. Pick up slightly sluggish (If you don't mind)
    2. The leg room is great
    3. The sound proofing is terrific
    4. The pick up is disappointing but the cruise speed is SWEET
    5. Fuel economic
    6. The worksmanship (Needs to improve but acceptable)

The reasons I went for the Altis is mainly for the space and the fuel economy,

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by All Blacks
    Just had my Altis for about 4 months. Some observations which hopfully will help in your decisions.

1. Pick up slightly sluggish (If you don't mind)
    2. The leg room is great
    3. The sound proofing is terrific
    4. The pick up is disappointing but the cruise speed is SWEET
    5. Fuel economic
    6. The worksmanship (Needs to improve but acceptable)

The reasons I went for the Altis is mainly for the space and the fuel economy,

Hope it helps
    Thanks... wouldn't expect good pickup from the Altis which is more of a family car anyway. Can always add a turbo later.. just kidding

Some questions for you guys: Does the Altis come with any window tinting? Whats the max rated speed for the Altis?

And what are the exact complaints about the workmanship? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Thanks... wouldn't expect good pickup from the Altis which is more of a family car anyway. Can always add a turbo later.. just kidding

Some questions for you guys: Does the Altis come with any window tinting? Whats the max rated speed for the Altis?

The suspension is all right with me.

I have to agree with the pick up. A tad sluggish but ppl take note we are talking about the 1.6 litre. U def have a better pick up with the 1.8.

Solar film - one has to get it done. V kool or 3M is recommended and I got the V kool. Really keeps the car cool. U can get Borneo Motors to do it and even change from 14 inch to 15 inch.

I havent sped beyond 130Km/h so cant share much. But I know if I travel between 80km/h and 110/km/h the fuel effiiciency is fantastic. Try it along the NS highway in Msia.

Gymrat, i have already PM u so if u need more info I be more than happy to share.
    Last edited by jeff49er; 12th July 2005 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76

eh... more imptly, who's gonna drive it more often - u or wifey?

workmanship? hmm... some colleagues of mine own altis. so far, the complaints i've heard are water in the headlights (the day after the poor guy collected the car), flat batt (vios owner... after 1yr) and scuff plates fell off (vios owner... after 2 mths. he discovered from his mechanic dat they were glued on... ).
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

if u got the extras cash
    got for civic

Quote Originally Posted by togu

HiACE?? No one will bother to see even if the tofu delivery man is Fujiwara!!! Grrr...

togu -> <- litefoot
    Try Gay Chow in Hiace. The commercial vehicle sure sells like hot cakes.

Kit it up for the finishing touch

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    Love my Vios.

Pickup from 0-100 is 8.7s flat.

FC is averages from 13km/l to 17km/l
    You put forced induction?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    You put forced induction?
    Nope.
    Mine is a MT.

Only did minimum stuff like:
    1. Iridium Plugs
    2. K&N drop-in filter

Most other MT vios in stock condition also can get about 9secs flat.
    The method of launching contributes the the low figure.

Deregistered

btw, the car being made in Japan or Thailand does not matter.

just like the Nikon D50, D70, D70s made in Thailand.
    not so bad right? there r many D70 users here in CS too.

main thing is how the company manages & ensures its QC.

My puny 2cents.

Nope.
    Mine is a MT.

1. Iridium Plugs
    2. K&N drop-in filter

I think there is a turbo version for the car. However, I am not too sure whether the Blitz Supercharger is competible with the block. That should turn it into a monster.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    I think there is a turbo version for the car. However, I am not too sure whether the Blitz Supercharger is competible with the block. That should turn it into a monster.
    there is, but in Thailand, not in SG.

if u were to do these addons, u will need to change the pistons, compression rings, cooling system...
    not to mention, subject to approval of ROV, if not its illegal.

To me if wanna do all these, might as well get a proper SC/TC car.
    No point doing it then illegal, & worry about ROV.

my 2cents

Corolla Altis : BUY BUY BUY

there is a Toyota forum http://forum.toyotaclubsg.com/

u can go there to read up more about Altis.............

Enjoy..............

Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    there is a Toyota forum http://forum.toyotaclubsg.com/

u can go there to read up more about Altis.............

Enjoy..............
    I heard of such a forum but just don noe the link.Thanks to u

heh...enjoy the forum, it is rather active, just dun get poisoned by the mods....

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    I heard of such a forum but just don noe the link.Thanks to u

Getting a car depends largely on how you view cars and how you use them.

For example, I prefer manual gear, so Altis is out for me, beside the styling a bit too ah pek for me.

Sunny is definitely out of the question as I always hate their look.

Vios while looks like a good buy is a bit too small for my use.

City is a good car, nice interior, good engine, large enough boot, price ok. Just too bad the styling is...yucks. The front bonnet looks too short, and the boot too odd.

Finally left with Lancer, which to me is a compromise of my preferences. The price is ok, size is ok, manual gear version available, styling ok. The only question is fuel consumption and built. I am never too bothered with fuel efficiency, so that is not a problem. Built wise is still pretty ok, interior a bit plasticky, but he get what you pay for.

If you are after a good budget car, and can look beyond Korean badge, the Kia Carato is actually quite a decent car. Cheaper than the rest of the car listed above, dohc engine, decent interior, large enogh boot. Built wise is on par with other budget jap car. I have a couple of friends that choose Cerato over Lance and Sunny.

And if you have a bigger budget, and don't mind the stigma, Honda Civic is my choice. If only the current Civic has a SiR version. The current Vti and Vti-S is too underpowered. But the current trend of all high end version are all 2 litres like the Civic type R, or WRX or Evo.

Actually your choices depends on you. What is more important?
    Is it:
    -interior styling
    -exterior styling
    -manual/auto
    -0-100km/h performances
    -top speed
    -boot space
    -interior space
    -fuel consumption
    -options offered
    -price
    etc etc

Make a list of what you are looking out for. Rank them in order of priority. Give scores for each car you have in mind. Total them up and compare. I'm sure this will help you better. Of course there are always some people who are make/model loyal, and they will always go for their preferred car no matter what the shortcomings may be. Think carefully before you buy a car. It is big liability you are getting. (Unless you are loaded)
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    Getting a car depends largely on how you view cars and how you use them.

For example, I prefer manual gear, so Altis is out for me, beside the styling a bit too ah pek for me.

Sunny is definitely out of the question as I always hate their look.

Vios while looks like a good buy is a bit too small for my use.

City is a good car, nice interior, good engine, large enough boot, price ok. Just too bad the styling is...yucks. The front bonnet looks too short, and the boot too odd.

Finally left with Lancer, which to me is a compromise of my preferences. The price is ok, size is ok, manual gear version available, styling ok. The only question is fuel consumption and built. I am never too bothered with fuel efficiency, so that is not a problem. Built wise is still pretty ok, interior a bit plasticky, but he get what you pay for.

If you are after a good budget car, and can look beyond Korean badge, the Kia Carato is actually quite a decent car. Cheaper than the rest of the car listed above, dohc engine, decent interior, large enogh boot. Built wise is on par with other budget jap car. I have a couple of friends that choose Cerato over Lance and Sunny.

And if you have a bigger budget, and don't mind the stigma, Honda Civic is my choice. If only the current Civic has a SiR version. The current Vti and Vti-S is too underpowered. But the current trend of all high end version are all 2 litres like the Civic type R, or WRX or Evo.

Actually your choices depends on you. What is more important?
    Is it:
    -interior styling
    -exterior styling
    -manual/auto
    -0-100km/h performances
    -top speed
    -boot space
    -interior space
    -fuel consumption
    -options offered
    -price
    etc etc

Make a list of what you are looking out for. Rank them in order of priority. Give scores for each car you have in mind. Total them up and compare. I'm sure this will help you better. Of course there are always some people who are make/model loyal, and they will always go for their preferred car no matter what the shortcomings may be. Think carefully before you buy a car. It is big liability you are getting. (Unless you are loaded)
    Hi,

Thanks for your views. The Civic is above our budget, at $68-70+k. The Altis remains our first choice. Although we both prefer manual cars, I guess we could learn to live with an automatic car Fuel consumption would be a consideration, as my wife will be using the car mostly for work during the weekdays. For me, the car is more like a red-plate car, use only after office hours and weekends

As we will be traveling back to KL fairly often, a car that is reliable and safe is definitely a priority, as is interior space when we need to bring family members around. The big interior space and boot of the Altis is quite nice. And while having a good 0-100km/h timing is of course good, it is not a necessity. I'm too old to race with the Ah Bengs on the KL roads anyway

The Lancer was my first choice, but given its less than satisfactory sound insulation, it has dropped to third after the Altis and the City. I do hope to hear more opinions and suggestions.

Cheers

If can afford go for the honda, if on budget go for the Altis. Honda/Toyota engine .
    Last edited by Jer76; 12th July 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Nope.
    Mine is a MT.

1. Iridium Plugs
    2. K&N drop-in filter

Wow, I never would have thought the Vios is capable of 9 secs. What's your launch method?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast