Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G Selling my kit lens which lens should I get?

Default Re: 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G Selling my kit lens which lens should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The more important aspect is to learn photography more. With better skills, you will know how to get better picures.

This is another oldie I shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a Nikon D40x using a $30 tripod.

Yes ,Learning something new every day.
    Wow! fantastic shot. Thanks for sharing.
    D7000 |Nikon18-105mm DX VR |Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

Quote Originally Posted by Cquek View Post
    Yes ,Learning something new every day.
    Wow! fantastic shot. Thanks for sharing.
    These are examples of how the photographers push their limit,
    when they refuse to submit to their limit, that is where their creativity begins.
    Last edited by catchlights; 25th May 2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I want to add that this first version 18-55mm is consider a very sharp performing "sleeper" lens. I still have mine and use it on my D300. This and a few other so call kit lens are some of the best buys to keep. But some people just see the word coin for them a kit lens and they always have that stigma that this is just a started one and needs to be replaced the moment they feel they are better shoots.

The only thing you are giving up is the f-stops and shutter speed. Beyond that.. this are very good lens to use as shown here working with a ND filter and stop down in the punggol beach pier shot.
    Last edited by sammy888; 25th May 2014 at 11:32 PM.

Blog Entries

the 16-85 is a nice replacement lens

some sample shots with a D3100 some time back

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the 16-85 is a nice replacement lens

some sample shots with a D3100 some time back

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358
    Don't get fool by Mod Ortega,

he is a photographer that can create amazing shots from ANY cameras he pick up. even from a iPhone or Samsung S4.

so you are using same set up or even better set up than his, but can't get anything closer to his shots, sorry to say you can only blame your skills, not the gears.

FYI, even using P mode, he still can shoot better photos than your WHATEVER modes.

Thank you for all the info, agreed qood lens sure expensive. All depends on my own budget and what I shoot. Noted.
    I am going to check out the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 , if I buy second hand lens what must I take note? I mean how to check the lens in good condition?
    Whats your budget... and what do you shoot ??? then we may all advise you.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Blog Entries

over selling that i cannot live up to

really meh?

how many cameras you've own/use, and loan to you for doing reviews over the years?
    and how many threads/photos you have for all these cameras?

yes I will probably keep my kit lens. I will do my homework and read reviews of all the lens before i rush to make a purchase.

Budget SGD 600-800. I have to work harder and save more.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358 - Thanks for sharing the link, I like every shots. superb!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    really meh?

how many cameras you've own/use, and loan to you for doing reviews over the years?
    and how many threads/photos you have for all these cameras?
    lucky to have good light at that moment
    it is also useful to have a camera when good light presents itself
    and also taking some time to get to know the camera and lens

Blog Entries

yes I will probably keep my kit lens. I will do my homework and read reviews of all the lens before i rush to make a purchase.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358 - Thanks for sharing the link, I like every shots. superb!
    I'm glad you like them, the extra 2mm is really useful

Try get a Sigma 35 f1.4DG ART near brand new - second hand..... great lens and maybe at the upper end of your budget.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

lucky to have good light at that moment
    it is also useful to have a camera when good light presents itself
    and also taking some time to get to know the camera and lens
    not many photographers know what is good light, let alone know where to find good light.

No overselling. Just your humility. I own the 16-85 before but I'm still struck, even today, by what you did in those photos. The superb quality of those images attests to the superb skills & imagination of the man behind the camera & lens!

If you are interested in the lens, saw a couple of WTS in B&S recently. Lens went for $400-480 in excellent conditions. Would have got this lens in an instant if I am using DX.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 26th May 2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    No overselling. Just your humility. I own the 16-85 before but I'm still struck, even today, by what you did in those photos. The superb quality of those images attests to the superb skills & imagination of the man behind the camera & lens!

If you are interested in the lens, saw a couple of WTS in B&S recently. Lens went for $400-480 in excellent conditions. Would have got this lens in an instant if I am using DX.
    Yes I will, thank you guys for all the useful and helpful information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12