Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incompetence of the Nikon Service Center

Default Re: Incompetence of the Nikon Service Center

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    (...) some people go to the extreme of turning off the VR, then the body, before changing.
    Seriously? They should also remove the battery before they remove the memory card just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    Seriously? They should also remove the battery before they remove the memory card just to be sure.
    Some people cleaning the table with tissue or handkerchief before they put their baby (camera), but never put the camera into bag, always carry everywhere, hanging in their neck.
    400D(RIP) | 50D | Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM | NEX 5N+18-55

TS, if NSC are to say we can repair it and is only cleaning the contact and it's works.. but 1 month later the camera stop working for no reason.. do you want NSC to take responsibility? every repair not only NSC, they will provide warranty. it is a matter of liability.

Why make it so complicated? It would have been enough if they would have told him they can't do anything but the camera might just come back to life if he waits a couple of months.

No kidding about the VR paranoia. Mostly a once bitten twice shy thing, most of them have had their 70-200 VR I VR elements failed on them before.

Then I suggest learn to shoot without VR. Problems solved.

To share my experience, I have sent in a D2H for general checks and thereafter I was told that the shutter needs to be replaced (SC under 20k). I knew the shutter is dying beforehand. Another incident, I had send my another camera D700 for some defects and 2 main boards needs to be replaced. Until now, it's working fine.

To share further, it's also about the choice of words used by the technician/customer service. Sorry but generally, they are not scholars and may not be good in their choice of words. A misinterpreted word used can cause plenty of misunderstanding.

Competent or not, in my opinion, it all voice down to what u impression u have told the front desk and the mindset will be fixed immediately. I would think it's some kind of software that Nikon develop to perform health checks on the camera. What probably the software does is to tell if there is a malfunction / intermittent (hopefully) / software not able to detect any other issues (like corrosion). Perhaps only opening up the camera then u may see algae / rust spots etc. but in terms of connectivity, there may not be any open circuit yet.

To be fair, they are not the user of the camera and the only exposure time they had with the camera is only that few minutes.

Maybe can try putting yourself in their shoes, what will be the reply even though u knew the submerged cam is working now?

Btw, I was advised not to repair my D700 then because there is one particular main PCB that is very costly to replace, luckily it's not that particular PCB that is damaged, but still, the bill is close to $1k (2 boards replaced) and a long downtime too. The consolidation was thereafter, I got 6 months warranty (come to think of it, i think it's only the 2 boards warranty and not the whole camera).
    Imagination is more powerful than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Maybe can try putting yourself in their shoes, what will be the reply even though u knew the submerged cam is working now?
    At least not what they said apparently. Their analysis was correct but they could have added it might come back to life in a few weeks or months eventually. Giving out that information doesn't cause them any trouble. Sure they don't need to but I would consider that a better service; it might save some money.

Blog Entries

At least not what they said apparently. Their analysis was correct but they could have added it might come back to life in a few weeks or months eventually. Giving out that information doesn't cause them any trouble. Sure they don't need to but I would consider that a better service; it might save some money.
    If NSC were to add the line: "it might come back to life in a few weeks or months eventually"... the complaints will get worse. Giving out that information WILL give them a lot of trouble FOR SURE. I sure hope you are not in the service industry.

Blog Entries

Since TS is gone and pretty much everyone has said their piece.

Closing this thread.

For those with complaints etc, you really need to run a Service Centre to know the problems they face, as well as the different kinds of customers they have to deal with everyday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123