Thread: Dutch

Default Dutch

Hello, I joined this forum awhile ago, but went dormant, and now I return with new photographs! I am currently based in London, but of course, I'm from Sunny Singapore.

Here's a photo I took in Malta, the dog's name is Dutch.

Name:  Diving clifftan.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.1 KB

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    A photograph is meant to capture an instance, an essence, either of reality or the mind. Here I share mine with you, and I seek your opinion. Describe yours as you would of an object presented to you in an honest, sincere way. You do not need technical knowhow to give such comments, and I really am not interested in the technicalities anyway.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I saw it in my mind, and I recreated it in the form of photograph.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    Feeling lost and trapped.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    I think its beautiful and surreal at the same time, the power of Mediterranean clashes against the body forming a classical sensuality against the very contemporary poise.

Default Re: Dutch

Human is lost among the details. You need to crop more to fully get the juxtaposition of human vs waves
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Comment on the technical aspect :
    I like the horizon. Very neat and tidy.
    Don't really like the foreground. Messy...

Comment on the idea of the image :
    It reminds me of the scene from castaway when Tom Hanks is on the raft and he encounters a whale. That moment got to me. It made me feel small and frail. Reminded me of how amazing yet scary some beautiful things may be. Your photo of the vastness and power of the ocean reminds me of that moment.

Comment on you:
    Your post reminds me of another CSer, tengk.
    Same airy/dreamy quality.

Cheers!

heading is Dutch- doggie but 80% is ocean. 10% is one human. 10% is dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Human is lost among the details. You need to crop more to fully get the juxtaposition of human vs waves
    Agree on that, though, I do like the scale comparison. I would have liked it better if there were some shadow contrast to really pick out the person

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Comment on the technical aspect :
    I like the horizon. Very neat and tidy.
    Don't really like the foreground. Messy...

Comment on the idea of the image :
    It reminds me of the scene from castaway when Tom Hanks is on the raft and he encounters a whale. That moment got to me. It made me feel small and frail. Reminded me of how amazing yet scary some beautiful things may be. Your photo of the vastness and power of the ocean reminds me of that moment.

Comment on you:
    Your post reminds me of another CSer, tengk.
    Same airy/dreamy quality.

Cheers!
    I would like to see the posts of tengk! sounds interesting!

On the contrary, I do like the messy foreground, feels like a breathing body for some reason.

I really appreciate your personal comment, its rather what I'm getting at!

C

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata76 View Post
    heading is Dutch- doggie but 80% is ocean. 10% is one human. 10% is dutch.
    Titles always get to me, I'm still pondering how to name it. Have you seen Henri Matisse's 'The Snail'?

nope. but im from a audience point of view.

thats my feel on the pic.

cheers.

Kinda like the waves, the sky and all. The colours look fantastic.

But I dont feel it portrays the sense of feeling lost and trapped.
    I mean, like, he's diving into the ocean.

Perhaps, a cropped close up of him and the dog would be better
    And also, the posing could be changed I guess to suggest the desired feeling of 'lost and trapped' more.

Just my two cents

interesting photo with nice colours and composition. i feel the title (Dutch) and description (feeling lonely and trapped) makes more sense to me if the diving man was not in the photo. as it is, it looks like a recreational dive with Dutch looking on, can't feel the loneliness or feelings of being trapped. but i agree that naming the work is not always straightforward, as you pointed out with Matisse's Snail. Perhaps a more banal title like "the dive" might be considered? if the crux of the photo is the contrast between the classical beauty of the ocean with the contemporary poise of the diver, then Dutch himself may not be needed in the frame?
    i would imagine that placing both man and dog in the frame speaks deeper of the relationship between them. there are certainly many ways to interpret or explore the underlying themes in your subject.
    Last edited by zaren; 24th May 2014 at 12:44 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I absolutely dig this, in the words of Norman "airy/dreamy" picture.

The composition, colour, framing (foreground to background), the dog looking at the diver, the grace of the diver plunging all work for me the instant i see this picture.
    There is a sense of scale, depth. I just like the feel. I like looking at it.
    I also have a sense of adventure, diver plunging into the waves battering against the rocks and into the wide blue sea, yet all is calm at the far horizon.

Then i read your writeup.

That you feel "lost and trapped" does add another dimension to my interpretation.

Dutch doesn't seem like such a bad idea afterall.

Dutch=Dog=Loyalty.

Dutch the dog is a part of you who is loyal to the old ways while the diver part of you is trying to break away.
    Dutch is cautious while diver is adventurous/reckless?
    You are somewhat torn between to stay (caution/loyalty?) or to take the plunge (adventure/don't care?) and try something new.

Now that i have made an utter fool of myself interpreting and making up a story of your picture, i would like to hear your version and anyone else's version.

Unless all you had in mind was "I think its beautiful and surreal at the same time, the power of Mediterranean clashes against the body forming a classical sensuality against the very contemporary poise."
    Nevertheless i thoroughly enjoyed making a story out of your picture.

btw.
    The picture also brought to mind an old sci fi story "A boy and his dog", but that is another story.
    Now i have to visit the library and read this book again.

its a misunderstanding, while I felt lost and trapped, my photo is not meant to. I was hoping for the opposite in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Perhaps a more banal title like "the dive" might be considered? if the crux of the photo is the contrast between the classical beauty of the ocean with the contemporary poise of the diver, then Dutch himself may not be needed in the frame?
    i would imagine that placing both man and dog in the frame speaks deeper of the relationship between them. there are certainly many ways to interpret or explore the underlying themes in your subject.
    Very good point, I did share similar sentiments. While the photo can't be changed, I can definitely take these points into account in my future photography.

Quote Originally Posted by tengk View Post

I also have a sense of adventure, diver plunging into the waves battering against the rocks and into the wide blue sea, yet all is calm at the far horizon.

Then i read your writeup.

That you feel "lost and trapped" does add another dimension to my interpretation.

Dutch doesn't seem like such a bad idea afterall.

Dutch=Dog=Loyalty.

Dutch the dog is a part of you who is loyal to the old ways while the diver part of you is trying to break away.
    Dutch is cautious while diver is adventurous/reckless?
    You are somewhat torn between to stay (caution/loyalty?) or to take the plunge (adventure/don't care?) and try something new.

Now that i have made an utter fool of myself interpreting and making up a story of your picture, i would like to hear your version and anyone else's version.

Unless all you had in mind was "I think its beautiful and surreal at the same time, the power of Mediterranean clashes against the body forming a classical sensuality against the very contemporary poise."
    Nevertheless i thoroughly enjoyed making a story out of your picture.

btw.
    The picture also brought to mind an old sci fi story "A boy and his dog", but that is another story.
    Now i have to visit the library and read this book again.
    Its great to finally connect with you, I thoroughly enjoyed your excerpt! It does closely fit into my impression of it. Impression? Yes. A photo is a photo after all. I can't form a story out of it, I can only interpret my composition of something already there. There is no underlying story behind it, yet, there are the components that form my consciousness.Some of these you have picked up.

1. The horizon remains calm despite the energy of the waves, they are unified on the same plane, but separated by their distance.
    2. The distance projects a perspective and depth that photographs naturally do not posses.
    3. There is a blush of warmth over the horizon, a second light that does not really belong to the scene.
    4. The man confronts the waves, yet the colour and tone of the image rejects this with an almost jovial lift
    5. The dog is excited with its tail in the air, the waves are hostile, there is no mutual appreciation of this

I am interested in scale and juxtapositions, not just of the rocks against the figures, the figures against the waves, etc, but the subversion and tension between the sentiments and ideas that construct this photo.

Your writeup did make me think very much, and granted the photography so much more depth, so thank you!