Thread: Any audiophile here can help me?

Default Any audiophile here can help me?

I want to mount my bookshelf speakers up on the wall.
    it's a tannoy MX2, with rear firing port.
    Since there's no screw-in hole for wall bracket, i must use the type where 2 pieces of metal clamp the speaker together.

Given the above information, may i know what is the pros and cons if i do so in terms of sound quality?

given that size think u have to buy a wall bracket to mount. go to adelphi (KEC sound) to check out. but wall brackets are not cheap

It's ok provided both speakers are firing at your direrction where u will be sitting or lying down, and place both speakers at equal distance apart and u're at tghe centre of the 2 speakers.

For more info, check the following link:

http://www.echoloft.com/

the tweeters of the bookshelfs must be firing at/near the level of your ears.

note that the ported vent shd not be mounted all the way onto the wall, else you lose bass response as the port is blocked. also if mounted too close it'll sound boomy...
    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Since there's no screw-in hole for wall bracket, i must use the type where 2 pieces of metal clamp the speaker together.

Given the above information, may i know what is the pros and cons if i do so in terms of sound quality?

I'm not audiophile but here're my opinions.

Being rear firing, you will lose a considerable of low frequency by wall mounting the speakers. Recommedations for rear firing speakers is to have at least 6 inches space between the rear of the speaker and the wall.

As most bookshelf give a very shallow soundstage. It would be good to get a pair of sturdy heavy speaker stands to enhance the soundstage and bass response.

There are several types of speaker stands available, but my opinion the best ones are those with a hollow center column where you can fill sand and lead pellets to make them sturdy.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
    teerex@myinfrared.com

Guys, thanks so much for the replies!
    because of space constraint, i can't use my sturdy speaker stands. Thus i have to mount them on the wall.

If i mount it near the edge of the wall/ceiling, will it cause boomy bass?

also, will much details be lost?

From the picture below, where (A or B) will be a better place to place the speakers? Or should it be place horizontally? Please feel free to speak.

depends on where you'll be seated when listening to the tannoys. if u find urself facing ur PC more often, it would make sense to mount ur speakers on the wall that is fixed with ornaments.
    From the picture below, where (A or B) will be a better place to place the speakers? Or should it be place horizontally? Please feel free to speak.

For the betterment of the sound produced from the speakers; could you not hang them from the ceiling ????

Rather than mount them on brackets on the wall, why not bring them forward about 12inches and hung from hooks ?

Just a thought
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

bro...i got a few fwens in the line ... look me up .... i will link u up with them

cheers..

Neither.

I would mount it on the direct opposite wall.

That way, it sounds like you have an entire band, stage etx playing for you while you work. Then when you wanna take a break you swing round and voila! The stage's there for you.

Seriously, you should not expect much from the sound if you mount your speakers like this, but of course, I guess lifestyle considerations come in.

If you get too much bass energy (which is very very likely since the MX2s are not teensy bookshelves), stuff the port with foam. You really would want smaller bookshelves for this kind of placement.

If you don't aim the tweeter at your ears, you're not going to get much definition. They should be ok if you just listen for fun, for background music..........

FWIW, situations like yours that I like Bose speakers. They obviously are quite laughable if you're into really good sound, but for fitting in with furniture needs, they really can't be beat. Makes the wife happy.

Another solution is to fire the drivers downwards directly above where you usually sit. That'll take a lot more work but I think you will like it better.

Haha thanks guys!

I was once a very hard core audiophile that is very concern over soundstage, whether or not the highs are too sharp, and install acoustic foams in my room, and even use mathematics to calculate the placement of speaker and the 'sweet spot'.. Ever heard the placement of 1 and 5-cent coins on the corners of CDP and amplifier? Haha i tried that as well. But due to the change in my lifestyle, everything changes.. Haha, it even brought upon the downgrading of my entire system.
    Now my aim is just to listen achieve nice good vocal and good sounding jazzy tunes regardless of where i am in my room, and i don't actually need good soundstage because i seldom have time (like in the past) to sit in the sweet spot and listen..

kahheng, thanks for the informative post.. Bose is visually nice, but i don't quite like the clinic-ness sound it portrays to me.

i have one more question, how much is a wall bracket gonna cost? anybody know?

Haha thanks guys!

I was once a very hard core audiophile that is very concern over soundstage, whether or not the highs are too sharp, and install acoustic foams in my room, and even use mathematics to calculate the placement of speaker and the 'sweet spot'.. Ever heard the placement of 1 and 5-cent coins on the corners of CDP and amplifier? Haha i tried that as well. But due to the change in my lifestyle, everything changes.. Haha, it even brought upon the downgrading of my entire system.
    Now my aim is just to listen achieve nice good vocal and good sounding jazzy tunes regardless of where i am in my room, and i don't actually need good soundstage because i seldom have time (like in the past) to sit in the sweet spot and listen..

kahheng, thanks for the informative post.. Bose is visually nice, but i don't quite like the clinic-ness sound it portrays to me.

i have one more question, how much is a wall bracket gonna cost? anybody know?

Have considered this setup before.

But i'm thinking of running proper cabling (belden) and termination since the speakers i want to wallmount are meant for a HT setup in my room.

Brackets would approximately cost $120-150/pair. Becareful which type of bracket you buy. There are those with the clamp with mounting screws to the speakers and there are those without, if you don't want your speakers to be damanged. Get the ones without the screws, but becareful how much angle you tip them forward.

If you intend to just fill the room with sound, its ok to leave them firing straight ahead.

As Feinwerkbau mentioned, i would also mount ont he opposite wall.

Try to avoid placing the speakers in direct corners at all costs. Sometimes its unavoidable. So you need to give the speakers a reasonable amount to breathe.

Sad to say, i'm still a hardcore audiophile. With photography, these 2 hobbies literally empties my pockets almost every month

wow i guess the brackets ain't that cheap eh? now must seriously consider the placement..

wow i guess the brackets ain't that cheap eh? now must seriously consider the placement..
    Go to the Echoloft buy/sell forum and see if anyone has a secondhand pair to sell or advertise for one pair if you can't find one. And if you need audio advice of any sort, that's the best local forum.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell/yabb.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Go to the Echoloft buy/sell forum and see if anyone has a secondhand pair to sell or advertise for one pair if you can't find one. And if you need audio advice of any sort, that's the best local forum.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell/yabb.cgi
    thanks KH,

echoloft is where i sourced for my amp and CDP few years back.. i've in fact posted a similar thread there, but response is not really as good as what i've gotten here(!). will post for a WTB ad, after i source for the brand new prices in adelphi..

thanks KH,

echoloft is where i sourced for my amp and CDP few years back.. i've in fact posted a similar thread there, but response is not really as good as what i've gotten here(!)
    Because I think more than half the forum members there are laughing that you want to mount your MX2s to your wall, heheheheh (kidding only lah)