Thread: The Merlion

Default The Merlion

Hi, this is my first time taking landscape photography and merge two photos together. Your comments are much appreciated! Thanks!

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, ability to bring viewer's attention to the subject and photography techniques such exposure and colour control.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I hope my picture can make the viewer feel like they are there at the place where the picture was taken. That is my ultimate goal. Of course i have a long way to go. With this picture i hope the viewer can feel the breeze and the calm of the night. I think to give the picture the 'feeling', composition, exposure and colour plays a big part.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    i was using FF with 24-70mm F4, tripod. 2 exposures: one was focusing on the Merlion 25sec F8 manual, the other is on the MBS 15 sec F8 manual.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture. I think there is no doubt the Merlion was the subject. The picture is 'clear' and i like it. However i find the picture to be a little cluttered. its like the MBS is squeezed to the left frame. Well, the 24-70mm is the only lens i have and i make do with it till i get a UWA.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: The Merlion

Firstly, there are many blown highlights in the photo. Mainly the foreground, near the base of the merlion and the base of mbs. These distract the viewer from the main subject. Since you are already using multiple exposures, you could probably expose for those areas separately with a shorter shutter speed.

Horizon is tilted. Can be corrected in post but best to correct it on site.

The sky is flat. You may want to take the photo during the golden or blue hours. The sky would be much more interesting then.

Framing-wise it's quite tight as you said. Maybe you could move further back to give the mbs more space to the left. You may also want to use the rule of thirds to place the merlion.

All in all good attempt and keep shooting!

I will go straight to the points.

your merlion is blown,so are the steps and the two pavilions.
    I understand you want to get smooth fountain, but do you really need 25 seconds that long to get such effect?

do you find the spot light beside the merlion very interesting or very distracting?

since you are setting up with tripod, you don't have time to check the horizon on LCD monitor?

the sky is just plain greyish, noting interesting.
    if you want to capture some blue in the sky, there is only two timings, one is right after sunset with a 20 mins windows, another is a 20mins windows before sun rise. if you don't want to see any humans in your frame, either you photoshop them out or wake up early.

keep it simple, try get everything right in ONE frame, once you able to do that,
    than from there you can explore of how to expose some interesting areas and learn how merge them during the post.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thank you for the comments. Will pay more attention to the tilting.i did not realized the pic is tilted.

Noted on the blown up. I think when i took the shoots i focused only merlion and mbs. The base of mbs and the steps were not in my mind at all. I think before i take the picture i should have the desired image in my mind, take note the items that i need to be in focus and of right exposure and then snap shots of it.

Thank you for the comments!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoLucky View Post
    Thank you for the comments. Will pay more attention to the tilting.i did not realized the pic is tilted. Noted on the blown up. I think when i took the shoots i focused only merlion and mbs. The base of mbs and the steps were not in my mind at all. I think before i take the picture i should have the desired image in my mind, take note the items that i need to be in focus and of right exposure and then snap shots of it. Thank you for the comments!
    Typically, if you tilt your camera upwards you will get converging verticals. We try to align the verticals properly as much as we can. When you compose, you need to have the whole frame in mind.

your camera has a LCD monitor, use it,
    check the focusing, check the exposure, check the histogram, check the blown highlight, check the framing, check the composition, check the horizon, check everything till you think you've got the shot.

you don't have to shoot blindly and try to fix all during the post.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

First thing I notice:
    The MBS is tipping over.

Second thing I notice:
    Really bright light behind the Merlion is distracting me.

When shooting, I would suggest to have a "goal" in mind. Eg, maybe your goal is to emphasize the Merlion with MBS in the background.
    Close, your eyes and open them. What is the first thing you see? Do you see a beautiful Merlion? or a patch of white mess? If you see the Merlion, is the Merlion pleasing to your own eye? Or is it an eye sore? The same process can be used for other elements in the picture. Do you see it? Do you want to see it? if you see it, does it compliment the picture? or is it an eye sore?

If you doubt you own judgement, go on the internet and look at pictures that many people say is pretty and try to apply the questions above. What do you see, why do you think it's pretty, or not pretty etc.