Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanna Race ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    is she xxxger? saw the XXXXX sign...
    What is xxxx sign ??

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    What is xxxx sign ??
    the thick leather band she wore on her right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Yes...but that's an oversimplification....and is that all you can thing about?
    LOL.. Never read his works nor could I be bothered to find out more about him.. Basically that's the only thing I've ever heard in the same sentence as his name..

There is no BEST and PERFECT equiment.... I think..... ONLY IDEAL equiments.....

And it all depend on situation, your subject, achieving the effect you want to capture....... and the END product that counts...

Sadly, PnS can embarass SLR very easily too.... hahaha.......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    is her SLR also a handphone?!? looks like she's using it like a handphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Actually it's quite an obvious culture here, although not explicitly stated, that there are some who take pride in owning the biggest and the bestest.
    I have also observed that, and it's particularly strong in Singapore.

Actually, it exists all over the world, even in Australia. It's a male ego issue.

Quote Originally Posted by damian77
    It's never about the equipment you are holding, its about the great pictures one can produce.
    I agree, and I'm sure many other wise photographers, would too.

However, most people, especially the ordinary person on the street who doesn't know, tend to equate big cameras and lenses to fantastic photos.

Most people simply equate size with prowess.

Default Different race

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang

Sometimes, people get lost in the world of Photography. They buy the best, the fastest, and biggest........ lenses and bodies in an unintentional obsession to have the best.

What? Since when has inanimate boring looking, ultra expensive photographic equipment become an object to be raced. A Canon user next to a Nikon user can sometimes end up in a strangely familiar Boy Racer traffic light battle.

An Abstract
    "Whitie: Eh Blackie... wanna race ? Mine can do 6fps.....
    Blackie: (revs his 8fps body) Who Scared Who ?

*Blackie Won and Whitie was pissed*

Whitie: (Takes out his 85mmf1.2 AL) Eh... your 85mm what aperture ah ?
    Blackie: (flips through his bag and pulls out his 85) F1.4 .... damn big lah...
    Whitie: Eh, how come so lousy one ah ? My one f1.2 leh..."

Seriously, photographic equipment has something to do with male ego. Just like how cars are an extension of their marriage.

Often, this kind of race is humiliating, and shows how insecure men really are. They need to use their equipment/tools/gears to prove their prowess.

How about a different type of race? A race that proves skill, not "fire power"?

Next time I go for a group shoot, I think I wanna race side by side using my PowerShot G2 against someone with a EOS1D.

Know of a CSer who use a coolpix 4500 to shoot landscape. One of his shots was selected for the New Paper Photo Of The Year contest as a finalist and during a photo-exhibit, someone wanted to buy his picture ( it was mounted and printed on 12 inch X 16 inch ). Proof that size does not matter. Anyone who don't belive it should try eating chilli padi
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    i was always put off with such a thingy. espeacially when i'm shooting wedding job with my F100, side by side with another guy (friend of the bride/groom) holding a D2H with long lens.....power eh..... and shows to the people around him shots after shots.....strangers with strange eyes look upon me but as for me........who cares! equipments, may be he wins....but photos, that we have to see!
    Hi Jesser, ... actually i believe you yourself already know that, you are a SNIPPER lor .... cos you are shooting in film with your F100. You can kill 1 mouse with one bullet

While that cameraman holding a D2h, are shooting a single mouse with 20 bullets ... , ACTUALLY YOU KNOW WHY THOSE CAMERA CAN SHOOT AT SO FAST RATE , YET THE SHUTTLE SOUND OF QUIET? cos to prevent the scene to become a war mah .... if not, will piang piang piang piang all night lor ... haha

Dun put off lar, actually that cameraman are more shy lor, cos he know that, his every 20 bullet, can only kill 1 mouse lor ....

Anyone can tell me , what does "TSD" stand for ?

my tots on this issue are tt its all only a matter of branding .... whitie or blackie ... photo still come out in either colour or mono wat.... who makes the difference? u ask! i say the person holding the cam...

i a way marc i agree with u that manyatime we spend so much timing on equipment tt we lose wat really works ... i have seen photogs shoot fashion walks with a tele right in front of the stage...but essentially, aint they supposed to shoot more of the clothes....a 50mm might have given a better full body coverage.. would tt not be better training for fashion shooting...??? i dunno...

equipment wise...i say juz get wat u need... for eg....i shoot portaits in a studio... i defn wun need a 70-200 to do tt, even if i am using an 85mm, i prob wun need the 1.4 ..or 1.2 aperture... y...coz i dun tink anyone shoots at those apertures in a studio...for me a 1.8 is more than sufficient...then ppl will start talking about the image quality of the 1.4/1.2s ... better colour saturations and all...couldnt tt juz be worked ard with in post processing... would a 1.4/1.2 be needed in such a situation...i say let the photogs decide for themselves...

similary.....i have seen ppl use pro end cameras for casual usage....nuttin wrong..buten money could have been better spent...say buying a car hahaha..... whist i have also seen the other end of the spectrum...people using mid level dslrs producing great works for assignments... shooting even under constraints.....

at the end of the day, in photog i tink its the image that decides wat is best or better....if u feel tt ya equipment cannot do for u wat u want to achieve...then by all means...upgrade...but if u are upgrading juz to feel good...then perhaps its like wat marc is saying..... its a never ending strife to see who has the more "pro" setup....

y not compare who has the more "pro" image at the end of the day???

cheers...
    Witness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12