Thread: Trying out B&W

Default Trying out B&W

Name:  _IGP2544-Edit.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.8 KB

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    B&W Post-processing. Should colour cast be added?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Contrasty B&W

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Noticed this giant mushroom with huge cracks which reminded of an assignment in school

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    I looked at the colour photo and I thought with added contrast they don't look contrasty enough to show the cracks, so used B&W to bring out the cracks. I find the details on the mushroom head well defined.

Default Re: Trying out B&W

Quote Originally Posted by HDpolarbear View Post
    Name:  _IGP2544-Edit.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.8 KB

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    B&W Post-processing. Should colour cast be added?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Contrasty B&W

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Noticed this giant mushroom with huge cracks which reminded of an assignment in school

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    I looked at the colour photo and I thought with added contrast they don't look contrasty enough to show the cracks, so used B&W to bring out the cracks. I find the details on the mushroom head well defined.
    interesting subject. i think you could have worked the subject more, e.g. shooting from a lower angle for better DOF contrast, going closer for the details etc. as it stands, the B&W contrast is there, but the image still looks fairly "flat" to me
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I think it's a cool abstract shot. Can't tell what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    interesting subject. i think you could have worked the subject more, e.g. shooting from a lower angle for better DOF contrast, going closer for the details etc. as it stands, the B&W contrast is there, but the image still looks fairly "flat" to me
    It looks 'pop' with the contrast to me but I think if I did it with your suggestion it will certainly stand out more with more 'pop'.

Thanks and appreciate your suggestion/critique/comment.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    I think it's a cool abstract shot. Can't tell what it is though.
    Lol In fact I don't even what it is. I just took it to get immerse into the cracks. It reminds me of the cracked mushroom tops I drew of in the first design class. It looks like a mushroom anyway distinguished by the surrounding plants.