Thread: What would you do during an accident of numerous casualties?

Default What would you do during an accident of numerous casualties?

The latest blasts in London this afternoon reignited a question I always asked myself. How best should I respond if I am caught in an accident of mass destruction? This need not necessarily be terrorist attack, but say a major explosion in the underground etc. Sure, I can call for help. But what else can I do?

With no equipment, I can't help save anybody. At best, I could find some first aid equipment to help provide basic first aid.

Despite being certified with advanced cardiac life support, I can't do anything without medications and defibrillators. All I can administer is basic cardiac life support.

All these despite knowing that staying back means I'm exposing myself to subsequent explosions.

I could do a Forrest Gump and carry injured folks out of the danger zone. (remember the Vietnam War scene?) We learn in any trauma modules that we can't mobilise patients until we clear their cervical spine. Then again, maybe its better to save the lives in sure exceptional circumstances, even with the possible risk of paralysing the patients.

Any other bright ideas?

I think its difficult what I'll do if that happen because I cannot predict how traumatise will I be at that time. But if I can manage to get over that, and without any medical knowledge, I guess just call for help, call my boss to inform I will be late, then reassure and keep the victims company.

Lightbulb

remain calm, follow instruction from authorities.

The last time i was involved in a coach accident (KL=>S'pore) in 2003, stuck in the middle of nowhere, i assisted in moving the elderly folks and kids out of the coach while i went back into the wreck to find the first aid box. I took some photos too. Brings back memories and i still have the newspaper article with me. The thread still exists in ClubSNAP at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=27529
    mOi bLoG - "i bLoG, dO yOu?"

if i am the manager of a certain branch of food joint.... I will get the diner's to pay first before leaving...

ok just joking as I find the following:- amusing

don't believe the forest gump thing as it's a movie. Real life where got so much strength to carry so many people out. Unless it's your calling.... saving people.

when the time comes... you will know what to do.

in times of such incidents, just dun panic... but den talk is cheap...

so if i can help, i help, if i can't i try not to obstruct... simple as that...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

To be absolutely frank, I don't know how I would react until the actual event comes knocking on my door.

Run! I mean haven't you watch War Of the Worlds?
    Run like like George in an episode of Sienfeld where there was a fire at a birthday party and he ran off leaving the kids and some old woman behind. Funny, but there are people like that in real life.

I would try to get everyone calm and the ones who can move, i'll hurry them out in an organised fashion.Hopefully, I will be in a coherent state of mind.

Frankly, we all perform differently under dire circumstances.Sometimes your old army training kicks in, and it helps.Sometimes you just freeze.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

run from the scene as far as possible.

after some time, assess that if it is absolutely safe, then u go back and see how u can help.

IMO, no point being a hero and get yourself killed.

I will wait for Batman to come

i will stay and help.. there are lots to do.. find extinguisher to fight fire, look for first aid boxes around to adminster first aid. Find out who is injured and severity so that when the paramedics come on site you can guide them to who needs medical attention most.

Remove rubble and look for people trapped under objects. Too many to do.. I know I'll stay and help only if I'm not obstructing the professionals at work.. you never know you'll be more of a hindrance than help
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler