Thread: D-Day, 70 years on

Default D-Day, 70 years on

In a little over 3 weeks from now, the wife unit and I are set to join a guided tour of some of the battlefields of Europe of which the centre piece will be the commemoration ceremonies on the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings. As bucket lists go, this is item number one on mine so I'm raring to go. I would like to ask for some help on the suitability of my camera kit selection as well as any general travel tips anyone might have. In return, please feel free to AMA about the tour or indeed just chime in to say you're a mil history nut too!

Brief Tour Itinerary
    London
    Portsmouth
    Normandy
    Paris
    Arnhem
    The Ardennes
    Frankfurt

Camera stuff I'll be bringing along
    Sony Nex-6 with SEL18-55 and SEL35F18
    Tripod?

Here's where I need your help
    1. I anticipate most of the shots on this trip to be a mix of land and cityscape as well as monuments/museum displays and the like so I figure between both lenses I'm pretty well covered for most of my anticipated situations. Here's the stinker, I don't know whether I should pack a zoom, firstly cos I don't have one and if I do get one I'm torn between a 18-200 for the do it all or going the cheaper route with a 55-210 with all the inconvenience of balancing 3 lenses. I think I won't need a zoom, can I just swing the trip with the 2 lenses?
    2. How do you guys handle your picture library while overseas? Do you backup into say a netbook/ipad or just bring more SD cards along?
    3. Is there any phone plan from any mobile provider you would recommend? I'm looking specifically at UK (5 days total) and France (4 days total) where we will be spending a significant bit of time relative to the total duration of the tour. Don't mind a data plan only or voice/data plan combi.
    4. Walking shoes, anyone try the brand out before? That's quite a decent number of fb followers. http://www.decathlon.sg/search?contr...walking%20shoe
    Price is really attractive a little too attractive if you know what I mean. Don't want the shoes falling apart on me halfway through the trip.

Thank you all in advance for your replies. Please feel free to AMA.

Default Re: D-Day, 70 years on

Get in touch with King Tiger. He has a great thread here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691542

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Get in touch with King Tiger. He has a great thread here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691542
    Thanks! I saw that from a while back and was hoping he still lurked around this part of the forum, didn't think I'd get the chance to do something like that too. Would be fantastic to compare notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhem View Post
    Thanks! I saw that from a while back and was hoping he still lurked around this part of the forum, didn't think I'd get the chance to do something like that too. Would be fantastic to compare notes.
    Long thread of 27 pages. His last post in his thread was 8 April 2014