Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

How do you know is underexposed leh? Unless you have seen the prints, or the original images.

But did you see the prints from the album? Or was it from the complimentary prints from the couple?

If it is the later, how could you be sure that the image is underexposure and it is not printed underexpose?

Iím very sure is the lab problem, because I have encounter this before, couple come back to me for re-print, said they made prints from other lab, the result is unacceptable, so they donít mind pay more to ask me handle the reprint. A few couples still ask me to handle the reprint after 2 or 3 years I shot their wedding.

Btw, every photographer knows that should only show his or her best works as portfolio, so if you want to truly know the standard of a wedding photographers, should see the complete wedding album that belong to the couple which he or she served, not a sample album. Than you will know is the overall quality high enough.

This one also have camera shake

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    How do you know is underexposed leh? Unless you have seen the prints, or the original images.

But did you see the prints from the album? Or was it from the complimentary prints from the couple?

If it is the later, how could you be sure that the image is underexposure and it is not printed underexpose?

Iím very sure is the lab problem, because I have encounter this before, couple come back to me for re-print, said they made prints from other lab, the result is unacceptable, so they donít mind pay more to ask me handle the reprint. A few couples still ask me to handle the reprint after 2 or 3 years I shot their wedding.

Btw, every photographer knows that should only show his or her best works as portfolio, so if you want to truly know the standard of a wedding photographers, should see the complete wedding album that belong to the couple which he or she served, not a sample album. Than you will know is the overall quality high enough.
    Yes, if possible, get a recommendation from a friend and review the entire album. That will be the OVERALL quality of the actual day photographer.

It is quite true that it is hard to achieve unique angles or effects for each event. I am quite used to telling my clients/friends that while we look at so many examples, we ssee repetitions in style, but our own wedding album in our house will have no comparison, perhaps only with our siblings', parents' or children's (in the far future ). Therefore, without a reference for comparision, even the most typical or over-used style becomes quite unique.

Better to look for a photographer who cares about the event, delivers good shots, arranges people nicely, and does not get in the way of anybody (including the videographer or the waiters).

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights

This one also have camera shake

ha ha. u seem to be defending the full time photographers!

maybe the lab problem for unexposed. but the photos are SO DARK that I can barely see my face. Bcos i am in the photos, that's why i will purposely see my face loh. it is so dark that my wife cannot recogise me when i show her the photos!

but it is WEDDING DINNER photo , those table shot, do u expect camera shake? This photo you show is ok bcos it is not those group table shot.

have encounter same problems as catchlights.

i deliver quality table shots photo, the couple send for reprint, come out cannot see, why, quite under. and you know, the lab say photographer shoot too under, photographer fault.

the couple then show the lab the original print, the lab ppl juz keep defending themselves.

i tend to shoot abit under, but never till cannot see face.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    ha ha. u seem to be defending the full time photographers!

maybe the lab problem for unexposed. but the photos are SO DARK that I can barely see my face. Bcos i am in the photos, that's why i will purposely see my face loh. it is so dark that my wife cannot recogise me when i show her the photos!

but it is WEDDING DINNER photo , those table shot, do u expect camera shake? This photo you show is ok bcos it is not those group table shot.

I think the photographer used a fast ISO. That's why he got a flash falloff. To fix this, he can use ISO 400 (or 800 or 1600 for digital) but then, the noise (film is more forgiving, but I don't use film) will start to creep as well.. give n take... I think its not about being underexposed. My 2 cts.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I think the photographer used a fast ISO. That's why he got a flash falloff. To fix this, he can use ISO 400 (or 800 or 1600 for digital) but then, the noise (film is more forgiving, but I don't use film) will start to creep as well.. give n take... I think its not about being underexposed. My 2 cts.
    I just hope that it is just this 2 photos
    or the lab's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    I just hope that it is just this 2 photos
    or the lab's problem.
    It could be lab problem also. I developed some photos from KT as well as from some uncle at Tampines. KT = White is really white. Tampines = White is a bit yellow, like when you don't brush your teeth for a week because u got kissed by a babe (disclaimer, I don't really do this). BTW, I'm also freelance so I'm considered the enemy.. but maybe soon can switch side and defect. hehe.

Yes, I feel that way too, but come to think of it, some of people here keep complain we donít have a union or association to protect the welfare of photographers, how can I on one hand say must look after each other and but on the other hand stab people from behind?

I donít even know whoís the photographers was, they maybe my friends or my competitors, but does not really matter, I try not be to too prejudicial but share with you my experience.

Paul, maybe all the photos are badly taken or maybe yours happen to be the only bad photos that I donít know.

But you should know that photographers do have different level of skills, whether amateur or professional, even for professional also have different skill level, grade, standard, or whatever you want to call it.

Hope this explains all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I have the following suggestions:

1. Shoot one wedding with green filter, another one with blue filter, third one with orange filter and so on.

2. Use fish-eye lens.

4. Use Holga toy camera.

5. Cross-process the photos.

6. Apply extreme tilt to a wedding so that it look like there is some kind of a earthquake.

7. Apply extreme crop taking out half of bride's face.

8. Use multivision filter.

I would like to see an IR wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I would like to see an IR wedding.
    Check out gary fong website,
    anyway somebody already done this before during film days.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345