Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    Wow. That's alot of "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" for 3 meals. You must eat alot.
    You boss should pay what you eat only, why pay you so much? got xtra money to buy camera and lens liao, why still want to moonlighting?

What about people like us shooting for living? We got no right to make decent money izit?

I also remember a Hong Kong vet doctor, who freelance shooting for dogs and cats for his clients as well...

Yet to know is there any freelance doctors or lawyers?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    There are some doctors and lawyers on this forum, who are very serious photographers....

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    There are some doctors and lawyers on this forum, who are very serious photographers....
    I know, I respect their profession and their devotion in photography.

What I canít stand is seeing many people like to using photography as a avenue to make quick bucks or fund their expensive hobby.

Not sure how others feel if someone mess around with your living hood.

What I canít stand is seeing many people like to using photography as a avenue to make quick bucks or fund their expensive hobby.

Well, I am an engineer, if you want to freelance my job, please go ahead, design a shopping complex, an MRT station or a bridge. I believe the doctor and the lawyer will tell you the same.

Personally, I believe in paying for quality. If I want a really good photo, I get a Master shooting in a good studio, using the best equipment and media (film, slide, digital, whatever). But if I want normal shots or 'more-than-average' shots or 'semi-pro' shots, I will pay less. It so happened that photography is a field whereby there is plenty of room for the freelancer or semi-pro.

In engineering, there are engineers who ask for $10,000 and those for $1,000 for the same job. Similarly doctors, lawyers, etc. We call them under-cutting, divers, whatever. If you are worth it, then there will be those who will pay you. I always say, when you have cancer, you will look for the most expensive doctor you can afford, but when you get an engineer or architect for your house, lowest tenderer will be fine... Every job has its money woes.

That said, I won't charge $200 for a wedding, that's too little for moonlighting to fund my hobby.

Lightbulb

yes, there are locum. also lawyers who works on projects only.

Last edited by reachme2003; 8th July 2005 at 05:18 PM.

Those who are masters of their trade never fear competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    It is just strange that those freelance wedding photograher here dun comment
    They are busy sitting on the floor putting rubber bands around their piles of weekend earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    In my case, a friend working in a government body was getting married, but I turned down shooting for him, because I have so many dealings with his team, his bosses and his other colleagues that it would be really weird to see me shooting his wedding, especially for a fee.
    What wrong to disguise e.g. putting on a hat, a pair of dark glasses, a false moutache and an accent to shoot the wedding?

I'm pretty sure in the excitement of a wedding, people could blow your disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Well, I am an engineer, if you want to freelance my job, please go ahead, design a shopping complex, an MRT station or a bridge. I believe the doctor and the lawyer will tell you the same.

That said, I won't charge $200 for a wedding, that's too little for moonlighting to fund my hobby.
    Yes, you spend many years in training and hard works to be an engineer and I respect that too.

Btw, $200 is what bridal shops pay photographers for a whole day wedding photography service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    They are busy sitting on the floor putting rubber bands around their piles of weekend earnings.
    I know one photographer, during March last year, my friend told me that he already secure about 200 wedding shoots for his team in 2004, btw, his rate is $480.00 for 8 rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Those who are masters of their trade never fear competition.
    Well, I welcome competition, I do let other people tag along, share with others who interested in wedding day photography, also pass them wedding assignments. Iím not say say only, some people know Iím doing it.

If anyone under cutting the wedding photography market just to gain entry, I also canít be bother, everyone have to start from somewhere, but please donít anyhow shoot a wedding, be responsible.

... but please donít anyhow shoot a wedding, be responsible.
    That is exactly RIGHT. How to be responsible when being paid peanuts? That is why, if I do shoot (photo or video) freelance, moonlighting from my engineering works, I make sure that my 'clients' know that I can only be as responsible as what they pay me. I have no backup photographer, no second camera body, and as much experience as a hobbyist.

the problem is that there will be people who pays Gary Fong US$15,000 per hour, and people who pays S$200 per day. And there are photographers charging US$15,000 per hour, and those charging S$200 per day.

And this exists in ALL prefessions. Remember the chicken rice wars in Tampines, 90c per plate?

Back to the original thread question, freelance photography is moonlighting, it is just whether the daylight employer allows it (being a nice guy, or not stated in the employment contract), ignores it or forbid it.

And sion, hahaha, a disguise! I've just recommended some fellow Clubsnapper to him. CSers of various price range. Better that way.

it is not illegal...just against company's policy... esp if you are a full time photgrapher for the company..

Otherwise.. it depends on how much to allocate ur free time and how much it interferes with ur regular job and where ur priorities lies when both duty calls.

Anyway, if occasionally u get paid, at least the burden and urge to buy a great lens is much relieved.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Well, Iím OT liao,

Anyway, even a photographer is being paid peanuts, but I think the responsible still the same, doesnít mean that he /she can be late for assignment, show sloppy attitude or rude to customers, giving off-focus or bad exposed pictures.

IMHO, for low price package, maybe customers are getting lesser products, but should not be low quality products.

Back to the topic, I know many photographer assistants of commercial studio are allow to shoot wedding or PR events during their off day, to supplement their income, but not for bridal studio, it is clearly conflicts of interest.

Well, Iím OT liao,

Anyway, even a photographer is being paid peanuts, but I think the responsible still the same, doesnít mean that he /she can be late for assignment, show sloppy attitude or rude to customers, giving off-focus or bad exposed pictures.

IMHO, for low price package, maybe customers are getting lesser products, but should not be low quality products.

Back to the topic, I know many photographer assistants of commercial studio are allow to shoot wedding or PR events during their off day, to supplement their income, but not for bridal studio, it is clearly conflicts of interest.
    i agree with you mostly (even tho it's yeah, OT liow!)..

except the part where whether a photog is paid alot or a little, yes, i guess the generaly "responsibility" of sharp, in focus and well exposed pics is a must, but i dun agree that the more customer pays, the more deliverables they would receive (i assume u mean "products" as deliverables, eg, no of prints, albums, blown ups, frames, collage, VCD/DVD slide show etc etc).

there is (and should be!) a high price tag for photographers whose excellent quality of work demands the $$. in other words, a good wedding photographer would get paid better (or rather, he would charge more) and (could) deliver less (in terms of "products) than a mediocre photographer.

Please refer to this

I just saw my colleague's wedding photos. His shot is from a full time wedding photographer and another of his friend also helped him.

I find that the helper who is just a hobbyist, his photos are much more vibrant and brigther and pleasant to look at. I didn't comment on that as I dun want to hurt my colleague as he spent quite a fair bit on photography.

But my colleague did tell me in the end that he does very much prefer his friend's photography skills and he sort of thinks he gave me too little ang pow (as token of appreciation)!

What I meant is that there maybe freelancers whose skills are very good! But maybe because it is not their full time job, they dun have the resources, time and money to get good equipment as a full time photographer which is their ricebowl.

But of course, hiring a freelance will have its fair share of risks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast