Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is doing freelance wedding photography considered as MOONLIGHTING?

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    IMHO, I hardly see any employment contract will state that you can work part time.
    part time employement contract maybe will state can work other part time

eg, part time in a fast food restaurant on 3 days a week, I dun think they will block me from working the other 3 days in a factory

But if you use your other company's equipment to do your moonlighting, then maybe it's not good?

Lightbulb

well, one only needs to observe those prohibiting clause/s. where it is silent(usually), take your liberty. after all, no employer provides lifetime employment.

IMHO, I hardly see any employment contract will state that you can work part time.

U also hardly see any employment contract will state that you cannot work part time.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    U also hardly see any employment contract will state that you cannot work part time.
    That's true...

With or without, guess most of us here don't really bother.

One things for sure, definitely a no-no for civil servants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    One things for sure, definitely a no-no for civil servants.
    Who ironically, have all the guaranteed weekends free.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

I guess it all depends on how much your moonlighiting affects your day job.

Because of the uncertainty of employment situation, most people has a Plan B. Moonlighting is one great way of testing whether your plan would work or not without giving up a regular income.

maybe work as a professional full time wedding photographer for Company A and then moonlight wedding photography bz for Company B!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    maybe work as a professional full time wedding photographer for Company A and then moonlight wedding photography bz for Company B!
    And use the equipment provided by company A to earn money for company B.

Do u know how small is the circle? are u sure nobody will notice? if nobody know u, nobody will bother to hire u.

I suppose your day-job boss would like to be top on the priority. E.g. you have an all important multi-million dollar deal to discuss (which pays you salary of $200 per day) and you have a wedding photoshoot (paying one-time $1000). If you take leave, I am sure your boss will be REALLY upset.

While most work contracts does not specify whether part-time work is ok or not, most professsional jobs will say that you are to hold 'no other employment without the knowledge and agreement of the company'. Let you boss know that your hobby pays, and most bosses will be supportive of the spirit.

If there is clear conflict of interest, or doing a job in the same field/business/profession, then there might be injunctions. Put yourself in your employers' shoes and consider how you'll like your staff to behave.

In my case, a friend working in a government body was getting married, but I turned down shooting for him, because I have so many dealings with his team, his bosses and his other colleagues that it would be really weird to see me shooting his wedding, especially for a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    In my case, a friend working in a government body was getting married, but I turned down shooting for him, because I have so many dealings with his team, his bosses and his other colleagues that it would be really weird to see me shooting his wedding, especially for a fee.
    but he's your friend what.... shoot and charge a fee also his bosses/ colleagues business?

What if you accept a wedding shoot and turns out that their relative is related to your day job's boss?

then I think you have to start your own company C soon

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    And use the equipment provided by company A to earn money for company B.
    If I blur blur use swap the clients photos of Company A and B, then I am fried

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    but he's your friend what.... shoot and charge a fee also his bosses/ colleagues business?

What if you accept a wedding shoot and turns out that their relative is related to your day job's boss?
    I think that it will be really strange to see the structural engineer that I hired to design a large civil structure (costing several tens of millions) shooting photos for a fee for my employee's wedding. Especially during the dinner and table photos. If not for a fee (angpow doesn't count, that's a return-gift), then nobody else's business, but this thread is about moonlighting.

I needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fund my hobby ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    I needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fund my hobby ..
    I needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fund my 3 meals..

I needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fund my 3 meals..
    Wow. That's alot of "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" for 3 meals. You must eat alot.

It is just strange that those freelance wedding photograher here dun comment

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast