Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry box queries

Originally posted by erwinx

thats rather inconvenient if you need to microwave it isn't it?

I put the silica gel into a cloth bag. if i need to microwave i put the bag into the microwave and its done....
    Probably, but Hey! think abt it: once in few mths need u microwave it, so it is also an easy task taking out the stuffs and pour the silica gels onto one container and microwave it.

Medium
    Guests

Originally posted by cheechee

Probably, but Hey! think abt it: once in few mths need u microwave it, so it is also an easy task taking out the stuffs and pour the silica gels onto one container and microwave it.
    Will it contaminate the microwave when u put the silicon gel in da oven? cos sharing food and silicon in one mircrowave oven doesnt make a good combination for da health ritez?

wont it be a health hazard?

Bedpan
    Guests

The blue Silica gel that you buy today is quite safe..
    Notice how there is no skull and cross bones or other posion control labels on them..
    Be carefull handling it though.. Ummm... It might dry your skin!

Mike

Originally posted by Medium

Will it contaminate the microwave when u put the silicon gel in da oven? cos sharing food and silicon in one mircrowave oven doesnt make a good combination for da health ritez?

have u guys tried using a hair-dryer to blow-dry it?

Originally posted by Medium

Unless u store battery inside the dry box and the battery leaked. Pulluting the silica gel. Then it might contaminate ur food. But if not, then very safe. juz make sure u wash the bowl or anything u use to put in the silica gel in microwaves.

silica gel no need batt right...
    no need timing one, once it's very light purple u can bake it liao...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx
    silica gel no need batt right...
    no need timing one, once it's very light purple u can bake it liao...
    Yaya.. i mean if u also store ur battery inside ur dry box.

Originally posted by cheechee

Yaya.. i mean if u also store ur battery inside ur dry box.
    hee ok...
    anyway put it in aluminium foil folded into a box shape lor...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Have tried to put the silica gel in the oven but it does not seem to work. How long do you bake it for? I was worried that it might be overcooked!

I also tried using a hairdryer...not too successful with that. The plastic cup that contained the silica gel melted instead.

Now I am trying to place them under the sun to dry them. Not sure whether that works?

Bedpan
    Guests

There are a few differnt types of Silica Gel available. What you find here in Singapore mostly, the Blue Cobalt type is quite easy to recharge.

Once it turns to a light Pinky type colour, put it onto a cookie tray and place it in the oven at 150 degree's for about 5 - 10 minutes. It should turn back to the very bright blue colour as new.

Mike

Originally posted by chkoch
    Have tried to put the silica gel in the oven but it does not seem to work. How long do you bake it for? I was worried that it might be overcooked!

I also tried using a hairdryer...not too successful with that. The plastic cup that contained the silica gel melted instead.

Now I am trying to place them under the sun to dry them. Not sure whether that works?

Default ...get an airtight tupperware like container..

Hiee...

The simplest way i would think of (my practice)....is to put some into a zip lock bag and poke many holes with a needle. Put this bag of silica into the box anywhere with your equipment.

Ensure that you use the camera once in awhile as too long in a dry environment will harden the rubberised surfaces + grip and cause it to "powder".

regards,me

M&F about DryBox,

M1: Silica Gel turns pink in one or two days.
    F1: Silica Gel will not turn pink in a "Closed" dry box. Even if it does, the moist level in the dry box will not increase as long as the box is "air tight". Silica gel will be less effective when the drybox is open too often. Put a hydrometer permanently inside the drybox, check its meter value 4 hours after the box is "closed". If the meter reading did not go below 60%, replace with new or fresh recycled silica gel and repeat check again. If the moist level increases while the box is "Closed", the box may have a faulty seal or it is not closed properly.

M2: You need an microwave to recycle silica gel.
    F2: All you need is a $30 oven style bread toaster in the nearest NTUC. You can use it solely for baking silica gel. The toaster will come with an alluminum tray. Fill the tray at the depth of 1 silica gel. Power on the toaster for 2 minutes and you should see water droplets on the toaster window. Remove the "BLUE" silica from the tray and store in an air tight container. You can accumulate all used silica and bake them all when you're free.

M3: How much silica to use?
    F2: Use a hydrometer to check. Put any amount of silica gel into your drybox. Monitor the meter reading after 4 hours, if it goes below 40%, its too dry. Open the box and let the meter reading reach room moist level. Place new silica with less quantity into the box. Repeat the process until the meter stable at 40-55%. Note down the amount of silica use with a measuring cyclinder and using it for future reference.

M4: Dry cabinet is "better" than Dry box.
    F4: That depends. If one of the lenses is infected, fungus spread is isolated only to the dry box which it is kept. Unless you're rich enough to own many dry cabinets, you can't beat the dry box for this.
    Dry box store away easily, it don't need to be tie down by an electric cable. You don't have to worry if the dry box is damage during a power trip.
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 14th October 2002 at 01:46 PM.

Hi, how much is a hygrometer and from where can it be purchased?

Originally posted by hoppinghippo
    Ranges from $20 to $50 (maybe even more). Can be bought at Sim Lim Tower.

Bedpan
    Guests

Many (most) Dry Boxes will come with a hydrometer meter built into the box, unless you go for the tupperware solution.

Mike

Originally posted by hoppinghippo

Originally posted by NitroTech

Ranges from $20 to $50 (maybe even more). Can be bought at Sim Lim Tower.
    Buy the lowest range, I used them for more than three years, they use common AAA size battery and are very reliable. Remember to change the batteries every 1/2 year to prevent leakage. I always look for the smallest/cheapest digital hydrometer with a big LCD display so that they use a small space in the drybox and you don't have to squeeze your eyes to read the meter.
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 15th October 2002 at 09:21 AM.

Originally posted by jasonpgc

Buy the lowest range, I used them for more than three years, they use 2 AAA size battery and are very reliable. Remember to change the batteries every 1/2 year to prevent leakage. I always look for the smallest/cheapest digital hydrometer with a big LCD display so that they use a small space in the drybox and you don't have to squeeze your eyes to read the meter.
    Well, i just got a digital hygrometer @ $35 from this hardware store on the 2nd level of Suntec.

Nice big display that uses a single AA batt.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

thanx! will look out for it! oh boy new gadget to play with!

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Well, i just got a digital hygrometer @ $35 from this hardware store on the 2nd level of Suntec.

Nice big display that uses a single AA batt.
    Is it big? Can take picture of it?

As requested.

--
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast