Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: searching

dennis... since I kinda hit the nail on why U framed the shot that way, mind if I ask that U critique my edit of yr pic? Does it look the same? I cut the top of the rail, and made the man a little brighter...

Guess this critique forum goes both ways...
    Last edited by Rev; 9th July 2005 at 12:04 AM.

hi rev

1) your version is brighter, it deminishes the rock bottom mood that i was in.
    2) it gives viewer the impression that the surrounding was brightly lited, so it will be easy to look for the stuff he wanted in the bag, no need to search.
    3) instead of the "gundi" (wrong spelling) style of cotton rope, the overly bright patches tells me it is a satin like rope. it kind of confuse me.
    4) with the missing top railing, it is kind of wired that there is 2 stainless steel post in the background.

now that i look more into the tech side of it, the railing act as a stopper, else the viewer's eyes will easily be lead out of the frame the the hrizontal lines from the steps.

actually, i would have preferred a grainnier effect

instead of the version i had upload few month back (unfamiliar with ps then)

whats your opinion on this grainnier version?
    Last edited by denniskee; 9th July 2005 at 01:23 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

ahh cool, thanks!

The green-hue & curve up was just to bring highlight to the man in search... my apologies now that I understand more yr motivation behind the pic. However, because I still find the b&w conversion a tad flat, I thought a different curve adjustment & a slightly reddish hue to give a 'heavy' look with darkerer patches would add to your intrepretation of the pic. The grain does adds a nice touch, a gritty feel usually associated with nite images taken by film in the past

Next, is the presence of the railling that important to yr pic? If a portrait landscape of the railing & steps leading to this man in the shadows then yes, that would work. On the otherhand, a pic of steps indeed going down into pitch black darkness, that would definitely look like a path to an abyss.

As a fan of renaissance paintings, I'd say the little itsy bit of a railing there would throw the framing off because it looks odd & is unimportant to the story anyway. U hardly see such cropped objects in a renaissance painting like 1/4 of a house or half of a man at the edges of the pic... but rather, everything fits into place. But this is my personal preference talking here. Also, I still feel his right leg should be cropped off, to add to that sense of nothingness below him as if he's consumed by that black bench.

Thus, I thought the empty space, empty steps (nobody there anyway) already created a sense of solitude. So this coupled with the curve play...

Side by side for comparision of color & mood...
    Last edited by Rev; 9th July 2005 at 03:50 AM.

hi rev

psed away the railing, blacken the area round his right leg, is this what you mean?

Side by side for comparision of color & mood...

didnt think the rail posts (metal rods) needed to be ps'd... but it adds a bit of space =)
    I just thought crop the top hand-rail off. U can see my edit is overall slightly tighter

hi guys

would like to know if without the railing (crop or otherwise),

1) does your attention get drawn out of the picture?
    2) does the picture becomes off balance?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    hi guys

would like to know if without the railing (crop or otherwise),

1) does your attention get drawn out of the picture?
    2) does the picture becomes off balance?
    1) no..attention remains focused on the man. in fact, image is less cluttered without the railing.
    2) no. rule of thirds works well with the man as your focal point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12