Thread: [NEWBIE] looking for tripod

Default [NEWBIE] looking for tripod

hi there...
    im new here and also newbie in photography ...
    wana ask tht wat kind of tripod shld a newbie use??
    thx alot...

Dun think there is tripod that design just for newbies or pro etc.
    It depend on what ur (heaviest) set up, weight of camera+lens etc. Budget? & if mainly using for travel, weight of it etc.

Blog Entries

Default Re: [NEWBIE] looking for tripod

Tell us your gear and budget for tripod. I am sure many here will give you suggestions.

Don't buy super cheap tripod, else you will buy somemore tripods, unless you don't intent to stick to this hooby.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    Dun think there is tripod that design just for newbies or pro etc.
    It depend on what ur (heaviest) set up, weight of camera+lens etc. Budget? & if mainly using for travel, weight of it etc.
    Agree with huatman. Tell us a bit more about your intended requirements, such as gear and type of photography?

In general,

1) You must know the weigh of your gear - camera body + lens + accessories (such as external flash).
    2) You must know the height (roughly) of how you want your tripod to be (not fully extended and fully extended).
    3) You must know your photography genre. There are some differences in tripods... some of them have flexible centre column that allow it to be bend at different angle (or up to 90 degree perpenticular to the center axis), this is very useful in a couple of instances such as macro.
    4) You must know the limit in which you are willing to carry (very important... eg. Carbon Fibre tripod is generally lighter, Aluminium alloy is heavier)
    5) Budget (Carbon fibre tripod is more expensive, aluminium is cheaper)
    6) The type of tripod head also play a massive part in your choosing... And there are a couple of different heads out there, such as Pan Head, Ballhead, etc. (I would advise to get the ballhead first, for me, it covered 99% of what I do anyway.)
    7) Choosing of the tripod head, don't just look at the maximum loading the official spec stated, remember to multiply a factor in to the weigh of your equipment to get the maximum loading you need for your tripod head. For example, if my maximum weight of my camera gears is 1.5kg, I cannot get a tripod head with maximum load to be 1.5kg. I need to multiply a factor of 3 (there is no biblical value here, just a figure that I felt safe). So the tripod head I need must have a maximum load of at least 1.5x3 = 4.5kg.

So in another word, take your camera barang barang down to a store (say... TKfoto) and try your camera setup in their store, then see which one feel the most stable.

As for which brand to go to... there are quite a number of brands out there.

1) Sirui
    2) Benro
    3) Vanguard
    4) Manfrotto
    5) Gitzo - the most expensive of the lot.

Do note that what you pay is what you get in tripod department, don't try to save some money and get a crappy cheap one. If it don't give way, it will not help in your shots. Having an unstable tripod is worst than just positioning your camera on a rock.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

A "Newbie" tripod, to me, is probably one of those cheapo ones they tend to give as freebies

Ask around your circle of friends and relatives, high chance someone will have one of these and be willing to give it away (aka get rid of). Use it for a period. If you're happy with it, go ahead and stick with it. If you experience issues with it, you will have learned what to look out for in a 'real' tripod, and hopefully a little bit more about the features that are important to you.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 7th May 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    A "Newbie" tripod, to me, is probably one of those cheapo ones they tend to give as freebies

Ask around your circle of friends and relatives, high chance someone will have one of these and be willing to give it away (aka get rid of). Use it for a period. If you're happy with it, go ahead and stick with it. If you experience issues with it, you will have learned what to look out for in a 'real' tripod, and hopefully a little bit more about the features that are important to you.
    This is the Nikon tripod freebies version? LOL

In actual fact. If TS could find a free Canon tripod (T4-3510), go and get it. It is a fabulous tripod. I am still using mine after so many years. It is actually very stable unlike alot of freebie tripod. If TS can find one online, buy it. It shouldn't cost more than S$40-S$60.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    In actual fact. If TS could find a free Canon tripod (T4-3510), go and get it. It is a fabulous tripod. I am still using mine after so many years. It is actually very stable unlike alot of freebie tripod. If TS can find one online, buy it. It shouldn't cost more than S$40-S$60.
    In fact, a couple of WTS posts lately. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison Tan View Post
    hi there...
    im new here and also newbie in photography ...
    wana ask tht wat kind of tripod shld a newbie use??
    thx alot...
    Read: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
    EOS

A "Newbie" tripod, to me, is probably one of those cheapo ones they tend to give as freebies Ask around your circle of friends and relatives, high chance someone will have one of these and be willing to give it away (aka get rid of). Use it for a period. If you're happy with it, go ahead and stick with it. If you experience issues with it, you will have learned what to look out for in a 'real' tripod, and hopefully a little bit more about the features that are important to you.
    Started out using one of these...i find it too flimsy and always worry that it would give way to the weight of my set up...

Decided I had enough of this freebie tripod and got a Benro with ballhead. So glad I made this decision.

I got one of these last time, comes free with the new cam.

Brought it to Paris holiday. One night trying to shoot night shots of the river, it gave way, after I pulled out abit too hard.

Really knn. Half spoil my entire holiday mood. Couldn't take any night shots in Paris. I just dump it into one of the bins.

So lesson learnt. ALWAYS get a good equipment.

Blog Entries

I think TS also disappeared... post question then gone.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think TS also disappeared... post question then gone.
    Haha , starting to feel this is getting common nowadays.

Anyway, I'm using a Sirui T025x with C10 head. Quite a good start for something light and reliable. No idea what body TS has though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Haha , starting to feel this is getting common nowadays.

Anyway, I'm using a Sirui T025x with C10 head. Quite a good start for something light and reliable. No idea what body TS has though.
    I have the same setup which I use for my mirrorless setup.

For DSLR, it is not quite stable enough.

I think your ideal tripod would be minimally required to support a RX100.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人