Thread: Birds

Default Birds

I took this in the zoo, don't know what the birds are called though. PS is used to remove some unwanted elements. Please comment thanks!

if you just wanted a record shot of the birds, fine. but this photo will not make anyone go "wow". the birds are not doing anything particularly interesting. i would suggest waiting for some interaction between the two birds, or interaction with the keeper during feeding or play time. the green foliage in the background makes the pic look messy. you could try zooming in closer with an even longer lens on the head region (which is the most interesting part of its anatomy IMHO), that will focus the viewer's attention on the bird, and may even throw the background out of focus, thus simplifying the photo. better still, photograph it with a worm dangling from its beak.
    Last edited by zaren; 6th July 2005 at 11:55 PM.

Blog Entries

ditto , well said
    nothing new to add

The reason why I took this shot is because the bird at the background seems like an exact replica of the one in the foreground, with similar posture. I was actually waiting for a while and finding an angle until they line up in this way.

I would appreciate if there are comments on what had worked in the picture, if there is any.

i agree im attracted to the similarity in posture of both birds... but the grass and the leaves in the bg are quite distracting. However if viewed from the perspective of a wildlife shot, then i would have to agree with zaren..

Quote Originally Posted by ccube78
    The reason why I took this shot is because the bird at the background seems like an exact replica of the one in the foreground, with similar posture. I was actually waiting for a while and finding an angle until they line up in this way.

I would appreciate if there are comments on what had worked in the picture, if there is any.
    some plus points in the picture....
    good sharpness and details of the bird in the foreground. exposure is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by ccube78

I know what you trying to achieve... As zaren has pointed, exposure, sharpness and details ofbird in foreground are all spot on, so it's a technically good picture.

My thoughts is that the DOF is too deep, you shd open up to the max or close to max. Prob F4? I dunno the shooting data but i guess around f8. What happens is the leaves behind is still pretty sharp and thus a bit distracting. the bird in background dun need to be sharp.

Also, for the double image thingy, the thing is you try to hard to accomodate the secondary subject (the bird behind). I feel this pic will work better if you shoot slightly to the left with the second bird overlapped by the 1st.

just my 2 cents worth...

Actually for this pic, my camera was already zoomed at max x12. I had wanted to capture the head, but it's just too far.

I had notice the distracting bushes behind too, but I can't do anything to elevate the camera high enough to avoid them.

I guess good pictures need a bit of luck too. If only they are closer...