Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing Compact Film Camera

Lightbulb Choosing Compact Film Camera

hmm.....I'm getting one compact film camera for family shots overseas. My previous Nikon cam died on me.

But I don't know much about compact film camera. Any idea what are some of the things to look out for?

Any decent cam below $200?

Olympus mju (based on the positive feedbacks that I've heard so far)!

Originally posted by AdamGoi
    Olympus mju (based on the positive feedbacks that I've heard so far)!
    yeah, heard some goodthings about it too.

btw, how much for a decent one?
    Last edited by revenant; 27th September 2002 at 04:51 PM.

Have one mjuII Zoom 80 which I bought in Feb 02 for my wife at $295. Selling off at $200, interested?

Try Cathay Photo. Should be about your $200 budget.

The mju-II is great!!!!

Max aperture is 2.8, fixed focal length 35mm. They sell it for abt 180 at CP, and it comes with a special casing and travel accessories and stuff. The other mju-II variants look great as well, and some have promos (like a free voice recorder and such)

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Originally posted by Que Lynn
    The mju-II is great!!!!

Max aperture is 2.8, fixed focal length 35mm. They sell it for abt 180 at CP, and it comes with a special casing and travel accessories and stuff. The other mju-II variants look great as well, and some have promos (like a free voice recorder and such)

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    No Zoom ah

Originally posted by revenant

No Zoom ah
    ya..no zoom
    but that's the beauty of it and the reason that its sharp..
    I've one for many years now...replace my Yashica T4 which I lost in cant remember which US airport
    pics are sharp, contrasty
    few of my friends hv same and all positive comments on this little baby...

Best deal for $200...

I would prefer some zooming

I would prefer some zooming
    If I were to choose between the ability to zoom and the ability to shoot without flash, I will choose the latter.
    (void *) &NHY;

Originally posted by nhyone
    If I were to choose between the ability to zoom and the ability to shoot without flash, I will choose the latter.
    Why without flash? In some circumstances, flash is quite essential too. eg. Shooting people in the night.

But the sad thing is most camera comes with buiilt-in flash

you rather most cameras to not come with built-in flash meh?

Originally posted by Tweek

you rather most cameras to not come with built-in flash meh?
    Sad to him mah

wait for the Yashica T4 zoom. I heard street price is going to be around RM600~700. Carl Zeiss lens man...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by Kho King
    wait for the Yashica T4 zoom. I heard street price is going to be around RM600~700. Carl Zeiss lens man...
    Forgot to mentioned, this cam will only be used for about 5 times 1 year
    No need such a good one.

Anyway, it's over my budget already.

ah...if u are very firm with your budget, the consider the Samsung Vega 77. Using Schneider lens, I remember is less than RM500.
    DR KOH KHO KING

ah...if u are very firm with your budget, the consider the Samsung Vega 77. Using Schneider lens, I remember is less than RM500.
    Will consider, thanx

btw, what's good about the Carl Zeiss lens and Schneider lens? Both from German right?

btw, what's good about the Carl Zeiss lens and Schneider lens? Both from German right?
    Yup, both are German lenses. I have no personal experience of German lenses, so no comment. I have not hear people say German lenses (Schneider, CZ, Rollei, Leica) lenses are bad.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Yup, both are German lenses. I have no personal experience of German lenses, so no comment. I have not hear people say German lenses (Schneider, CZ, Rollei, Leica) lenses are bad.
    ok thanx

Why without flash? In some circumstances, flash is quite essential too. eg. Shooting people in the night.]
    Flash makes the scene look totally different. Surely you want to do better than red eyes, hotspots and a totally black background?

And you may not want to draw attention to yourself. Flash is the easiest way to get attention from a mile away.

Yes, but you can choose not to use it. Typical P&S zooms are 35-xxx, and apertures from f/4.5 to f/9 or even smaller! Even at the wide end, f/4.5 is very slow compared to a decent f/2.8. And who can resist zooming in "just a little"? It doesn't take much imagination to see that you lose even more light this way.

A slow lens restricts many photo opportunities. Low light is a good time to get interesting lighting.

Another thing is the number of elements. Zoom lenses typically have many elements. 8 to 9 is not surprising. While sharpness can be maintained, contrast is definitely less than one with just 4 elements: the more glasses, the less contrast and more flare. It's basic lens theory. (with some assumptions made, of course)

Not to mention the weight..

In closing, if you are just going to use it a few times a year, don't bother. Just get a disposable camera!
    (void *) &NHY;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast