Thread: wood on glass table

Default wood on glass table

i like to ask this furniture question

I have a L-shape glass table like this and want to make it "bigger" but placing wood on top
    which can be purchase from ikea (longer and wider)

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=L...96%3B300%3B300

can i just place the wood directly?? will it break?
    or do i need to remove the glass??

currently i have imac27 and 2x 24inch on the glass panel- seem ok for many years

Default Re: wood on glass table

It's better to remove as the uneven surface from the wood top might create a high pressure point that shatter the glass...if not at the very minimum...you should put something underneath to cushion the top but I do not recommend it..

Shouldn't be a problem, reputable furniture manufacturers has to undergo the "obese couple having hot sex on tabletop" Quality Assurance (QA) stress / torture failure testing sessions for product liability preventive management issues.

Best to remove the redundant glass panels for safety anyway, just in case though.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 4th May 2014 at 09:58 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    It's better to remove as the uneven surface from the wood top might create a high pressure point that shatter the glass...if not at the very minimum...you should put something underneath to cushion the top but I do not recommend it..
    http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/S59872374/

i will buy this table top as i don need legs
    i just rest the wood on top of the glass table

current L glass table is 2 pcs of glass
    60x90 and 150x60

i am buying a
    60x80 and 160x80 to just laid on top

what u think ?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    can i just place the wood directly?? will it break?
    or do i need to remove the glass??

currently i have imac27 and 2x 24inch on the glass panel- seem ok for many years
    I would definitely remove the glass. If the metal frame is the one that is supporting the weight, may be okay? *shrug* Depends on the weight of the new top + all the extra things you'll tempted to put on an even larger top. I'd just sell it and replace with a new table though, because unless you are very sure, it's possible that the original legs/frame were designed only for its original weight/load. I'd just spend the $289 to get the whole setup, instead of risking a lot more (computer equipment).

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/S59872374/

i will buy this table top as i don need legs
    i just rest the wood on top of the glass table
    FYI, the item you linked to appears to be a tempered glass top, and if you look under "Package measurement and weight", the glass alone weighs 34.3 kg.

Blog Entries

Instead of buying an ikea table and modding it, why not just get it custom made by a carpenter?

Just a heads up for those planning on making purchases at Ikea since I couldn't locate several popular pieces of furniture that somehow wasn't available any more.

• Billy bookcase series being redesigned for next season (2014 - 2015), may not be compatible with pre-existing system.

• Galant office desk entire series discontinued for several months now, stocks being cleared leaving only several pieces of display sets. New series from October 2014 onwards.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra