Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: leaky tap

  1. #1

    Default leaky tap

    just trying something abstract. not too sure if this works or not.
    i would have preferred it if i was able to capture more droplets of water but i couldn't really catch the timing.

    too many shots...

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    just trying something abstract. not too sure if this works or not.
    i would have preferred it if i was able to capture more droplets of water but i couldn't really catch the timing.

    this shot would look great in b&w and with increased contrast. excellent timing to catch the water droplet in mid-air. as you have pointed out, catching a whole stream of water droplets would be even better, patience and perseverance definitely begets better photographs!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    I was just about to say it would be better in B&W when i saw zaren's comments.

    My intention for it to be B&W is a bit different. I feel that as it is, the water droplet (your main subject) is competing with too many elements. Things like the peeling paints on the pipes, rusty nuts all distracts the viewer.

    Also, your ccd seems to be quite dirty, can see 4-5 areas of black patches which i assume is dirty ccd....

    composition wise, i would give more space on the left and top..

    Also, it may be worthwhile to explore the shooting angle. As it is, it's just a frontal shot with a nice capture of freeze water droplet.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    it doesn't work for me becos of the rather harsh shadow, and also the hot spot due to (i believe) your flash.

    maybe i would try without flash, but maybe u might not have a fast enuff shutter to freeze the drop.

  5. #5

    Default

    nah i disagree with z... i tink hor...depending on the intention...the harsh shadow and the drop of water.... makes a v good comparison ...... my take...accentuate the harshness...X-process the colours digitally... and BOOST the contrast....

    will make it more attractive... intention wise...up to the photog to explain to me .. haha i not v good at these things..

    cheers..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    although the technicality (timing of the shot) is well executed, the subject and the details failed to intrique me, somehow i'm not given much 'room' for imagination except to look at the nicely 'frozen' water droplets. like what nemesis32 mentioned, you may like to consider a different angle, and consider what you want to include in this frame to make it more thought provoking, rather than stopping at the 'frozen' droplets

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    How to improve this picture:

    A dark background (black velvet) to drown away the harsh shadow
    a different angle (maybe from the side)
    a diy softbox for your flash (to get rid of the hotspots)
    add another flash from the back (to highlight the water drop)
    clean the tap

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    I was just about to say it would be better in B&W when i saw zaren's comments.

    My intention for it to be B&W is a bit different. I feel that as it is, the water droplet (your main subject) is competing with too many elements. Things like the peeling paints on the pipes, rusty nuts all distracts the viewer.

    Also, your ccd seems to be quite dirty, can see 4-5 areas of black patches which i assume is dirty ccd....

    composition wise, i would give more space on the left and top..

    Also, it may be worthwhile to explore the shooting angle. As it is, it's just a frontal shot with a nice capture of freeze water droplet.
    never thought of b&w, but i think i would want to experiment with the cross processing.

    CCD dirty? i have no idea...how do i know if the ccd's dirty?

    thanks for pointing it out...i guess i ll have to try harder to get a better angle...
    thanks for your comments...i appreciate them....
    too many shots...

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    it doesn't work for me becos of the rather harsh shadow, and also the hot spot due to (i believe) your flash.

    maybe i would try without flash, but maybe u might not have a fast enuff shutter to freeze the drop.
    i used a bounce card, guess its not diffuse enough...probably try to stand further away...but if i dont have a fast shutter, i wont be able to capture the droplet...but i guess i have to experiment for other effects...
    thanks for your comments...
    too many shots...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    nah i disagree with z... i tink hor...depending on the intention...the harsh shadow and the drop of water.... makes a v good comparison ...... my take...accentuate the harshness...X-process the colours digitally... and BOOST the contrast....

    will make it more attractive... intention wise...up to the photog to explain to me .. haha i not v good at these things..

    cheers..
    i didnt thought of cross processing, i think it might create a more interesting pic...
    i think at that time, i was just trying something new to me...i dont really have an intention, only the dirty that i thought would lend it some character and the droplet with the shadow would be its main subject...didnt realise that it turns out distracting for some...

    thanks for your comments...
    too many shots...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    although the technicality (timing of the shot) is well executed, the subject and the details failed to intrique me, somehow i'm not given much 'room' for imagination except to look at the nicely 'frozen' water droplets. like what nemesis32 mentioned, you may like to consider a different angle, and consider what you want to include in this frame to make it more thought provoking, rather than stopping at the 'frozen' droplets
    no room for imagination and a different approach...ok got it...will experiment more...

    thanks for your comments...
    too many shots...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    How to improve this picture:

    A dark background (black velvet) to drown away the harsh shadow
    a different angle (maybe from the side)
    a diy softbox for your flash (to get rid of the hotspots)
    add another flash from the back (to highlight the water drop)
    clean the tap
    i thought the shadow might accentuate the pic...
    ok will work on the angle...
    i thought the bounce would be sufficent, apparently not, will try a softbox approach...
    hmm...i only have one flash...perhaps i can soft light up the background...? would that work?
    i thought the dirty tap lends it a bit of character...is that too dirty....or not dirty enough, such that it is "not here not there" type??

    thanks for your comments...
    too many shots...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    never thought of b&w, but i think i would want to experiment with the cross processing.

    CCD dirty? i have no idea...how do i know if the ccd's dirty?

    thanks for pointing it out...i guess i ll have to try harder to get a better angle...
    thanks for your comments...i appreciate them....
    The ccd dirty as i can see some black spots on the right hand side of the frame.. look closely. To confirm, try take a shot at the smallest aperture at a piece of white paper.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    i thought the shadow might accentuate the pic...
    ok will work on the angle...
    i thought the bounce would be sufficent, apparently not, will try a softbox approach...
    hmm...i only have one flash...perhaps i can soft light up the background...? would that work?
    i thought the dirty tap lends it a bit of character...is that too dirty....or not dirty enough, such that it is "not here not there" type??

    thanks for your comments...
    how about bouncing the light against a whiteboard or something onto the subject instead...

  15. #15

    Default

    OMG...i forgot all about that big piece of compact styroform for bounce...!!
    will keep that in mind...thanks for the reminder...!
    too many shots...

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    The ccd dirty as i can see some black spots on the right hand side of the frame.. look closely. To confirm, try take a shot at the smallest aperture at a piece of white paper.
    errr...i m using a panasonic fz20 leh....can get them to clean for me...?
    too many shots...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    errr...i m using a panasonic fz20 leh....can get them to clean for me...?
    I not sure abt that... maybe you call the service centre or post in the panasonic forum?

  18. #18

    Default

    interesting .... interesting....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •