Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Guidelines: Critique Corner Postings

  1. #21

    Default

    Just a suggestion, would it be good if there is a simple rating scheme like:

    Overall Impression : ? / 5
    Image Quality (colour/WB/contrast/brightness) : ? / 5
    Composition/Framing : ? / 5
    Exposure : ? / 5
    Artistic merit (tell a thousand words) : ? /5

    I believe with the above rating, it's very straightforward to tell the photographer what works and what need to work harder.

    What's your opinion?

    Thanks all.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  2. #22

    Default

    ST_sg: It's definitely good, I suggest just include in your post that U need this sort of feedback. But bear in mind these only guidelines, all ratings can be subjective. which maybe become confusing =)

    Another suggestion is you rate yr own pic first then people give their rating, would make for a very interesting point of view =)

  3. #23

    Default

    hi all....

    many thanks to everyone who has posted photos and critiques on this forum....keep them coming!

    a gentle reminder to everyone.....please remember to post constructive critiques on this forum. i know it takes time and hard work, but that's why this corner was formed in the first place. don't just say "good shot!", "crap shot!" or "doesn't work". say why you think the shot is good/bad, and give suggestions how to improve the shot. may i suggest a minimum length of say 30 words for every critique posted in this forum?

    thanks for your understanding!

    Last edited by zaren; 11th July 2005 at 10:49 AM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    may i suggest a minimum length of say 30 words for every critique posted in this forum?
    erm ... depends on situation lah ... maybe at least a short sentence that serves to analyse the picture?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Northish
    Posts
    59

    Default

    I have been reading this forum and posted 1 photo so far; but I do have a couple of observations:

    1) Some seem really impatient - take this link for example taken of after 1 day becoz' of 1 lacklustre comment... I didn't even get to see the bloody photo!!!

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=140649

    2) People being too kind... I understand the need for humility and all that, but sometimes holding back can be as bad for a newbie such as myself! I actually enjoy harsh criticisms so I can learn!

    3) Posters being defensive! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CRITICIZED, perhaps you shouldn't post here!

    otherwise, I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to offer constructive feedback to the photographs! you guys have made this place great!

  6. #26

    Default

    i love the fact that the administrators have considered the suggestions of it's members. a critique corner in an esteemed online community such as this is a god send for noobs.
    cant wait to post.
    can someone teach me how to post a picture?

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sejok
    I have been reading this forum and posted 1 photo so far; but I do have a couple of observations:

    1) Some seem really impatient - take this link for example taken of after 1 day becoz' of 1 lacklustre comment... I didn't even get to see the bloody photo!!!

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=140649

    2) People being too kind... I understand the need for humility and all that, but sometimes holding back can be as bad for a newbie such as myself! I actually enjoy harsh criticisms so I can learn!

    3) Posters being defensive! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CRITICIZED, perhaps you shouldn't post here!

    otherwise, I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to offer constructive feedback to the photographs! you guys have made this place great!
    After a little while, you will know who you are wasting your time on.

    While I am always prepared to give critiques, I have decided to SEVERELY limit myself. There are some people whom you will want to engage.

    Another problem is that some nuts will want you to justify your critique. not understanding the fundamental concept that giving critiques is giving what a person think about the image. A critique is far from the Ten Commandments. A critique only represents another person's view for the original photographer to consider.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    After a little while, you will know who you are wasting your time on.

    While I am always prepared to give critiques, I have decided to SEVERELY limit myself. There are some people whom you will want to engage.

    Another problem is that some nuts will want you to justify your critique. not understanding the fundamental concept that giving critiques is giving what a person think about the image. A critique is far from the Ten Commandments. A critique only represents another person's view for the original photographer to consider.
    student....

    your critiques are always appreciated here, and i'm sure many others will agree with me. i agree that you don't need to justify your critique, that is your POV on the photo submitted. as stated in the guidelines, there is also absolutely no need to justify, by showing a portfolio of your work, that you are qualified to give a critique.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    student....

    your critiques are always appreciated here, and i'm sure many others will agree with me. i agree that you don't need to justify your critique, that is your POV on the photo submitted. as stated in the guidelines, there is also absolutely no need to justify, by showing a portfolio of your work, that you are qualified to give a critique.
    Zaren, believe me I have the highest repect for you. It takes effort to contribute time to give critiques.

    But time and again, in this forum and others, sometimes you will enounter some nuts who will want to challenge your points, as if to decide who is right or wrong. Who will win. And it is not even their images. And this can get tiring.

    While I personally seek "qualified" people to critique my images for very specific reasons, I agree with you that in a forum like this, the "qualification" of the one offering critique is not that crucial.

    Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.

    I will be getting my PSCs2 next week. And hopefully learn how to do simple things like loading my pictures to website.

  10. #30
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,687
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    student you contribution is appriciated

    i'll help you with downsizing if you want, pm me

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiFruits
    i love the fact that the administrators have considered the suggestions of it's members. a critique corner in an esteemed online community such as this is a god send for noobs.
    cant wait to post.
    can someone teach me how to post a picture?
    hi antifruits....welcome to the forum!
    to post a picture, u need to upload the picture to an online gallery, either the clubsnap gallery or another image hosting site like photobucket. then copy the address link of your photo, e.g. http:\photobucket\antifruits\photo.jpg
    and paste it in the clubsnap message posting box in this format:

    [IMG] {address link of your picture} [/IMG]

    so....for this example, it would be

    [IMG] http:\photobucket\antifruits\photo.jpg [/IMG]
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    After a little while, you will know who you are wasting your time on.

    While I am always prepared to give critiques, I have decided to SEVERELY limit myself. There are some people whom you will want to engage.

    Another problem is that some nuts will want you to justify your critique. not understanding the fundamental concept that giving critiques is giving what a person think about the image. A critique is far from the Ten Commandments. A critique only represents another person's view for the original photographer to consider.
    why is there a need for such a 'compromise?' you can always choose to ignore who/what you think doesn't make sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.

    I will be getting my PSCs2 next week. And hopefully learn how to do simple things like loading my pictures to website.
    if you have PS installed in your computer, feel free to PM me, i'm no expert in computer but i may be able to help you on resizing and posting images online.
    Last edited by eikin; 16th July 2005 at 12:29 AM.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    .

    Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.
    Hmmm...never notice the requests. Ya, PM eikin or me if you need help in PS.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Zaren, believe me I have the highest repect for you. It takes effort to contribute time to give critiques.

    But time and again, in this forum and others, sometimes you will enounter some nuts who will want to challenge your points, as if to decide who is right or wrong. Who will win. And it is not even their images. And this can get tiring.

    While I personally seek "qualified" people to critique my images for very specific reasons, I agree with you that in a forum like this, the "qualification" of the one offering critique is not that crucial.

    Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.

    I will be getting my PSCs2 next week. And hopefully learn how to do simple things like loading my pictures to website.
    thx student.... don't forget there are *many* tireless ppl who post critiques here regularly. they are the true driving force behind the critique corner who make sure that every picture gets critiqued!

    to downsize your file in PS....
    open your image file in PS
    select "image" option from top toolbar
    select "image size" option
    enter your desired image size;
    pixel dimensions: width = 640, height = 480 (good enough for web use)
    save your resized image, select "file"
    "save as"
    type in desired image filename
    select "jpg" as your file format from the scroll box below the filename
    select jpg quality for your saved image (recommend 8 out of a scale of 10)
    select "ok"

    this procedure will resize your image to not more than 150 kB in size.
    Last edited by zaren; 16th July 2005 at 04:06 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    thx student.... don't forget there are *many* tireless ppl who post critiques here regularly. they are the true driving force behind the critique corner who make sure that every picture gets critiqued!

    to downsize your file in PS....
    open your image file in PS
    select "image" option from top toolbar
    select "image size" option
    enter your desired image size;
    pixel dimensions: width = 640, height = 480 (good enough for web use)
    save your resized image, select "file"
    "save as"
    type in desired image filename
    select "jpg" as your file format from the scroll box below the filename
    select jpg quality for your saved image (recommend 8 out of a scale of 10)
    select "ok"

    this procedure will resize your image to not more than 150 kB in size.
    Thanks.

    Will be getting my PS on Monday. But using it will be on hold for a couple of weeks. Going to Tuscany next week!

  16. #36

    Default

    hey thanks a lot zaren. =)

  17. #37

    Default

    Hello...I cant seem to post my pictures as attachments as its stated under the posting rules? Is it because I havent reached a certain number of posts?

  18. #38
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.
    student (and those that are still pondering how to resize and post their images),

    There is a short tutorial here - Guide to Resizing and Cropping and another thread in the forum - Users Guide to Posting Images in the Forums - to advise on how to store your images in the Gallery and link them to your posts in the Forums.

    Both these guides should suffice to get your images published online.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    student (and those that are still pondering how to resize and post their images),

    There is a short tutorial here - Guide to Resizing and Cropping and another thread in the forum - Users Guide to Posting Images in the Forums - to advise on how to store your images in the Gallery and link them to your posts in the Forums.

    Both these guides should suffice to get your images published online.
    Thanks. Will be collecting my PS in a couple of hours! hope I can understand it!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Just to say that the admin has done a good job by listening to us and giving us our critique corner...

    Another thing is that due to my eagerness to post, i did not read the guideline of 1 post per week.. i posted 2 in 5 days? Haha... pardon me ah... will try and keep my enthusiam in check!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •