Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Guidelines: Critique Corner Postings

  1. #1
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Exclamation Guidelines: Critique Corner Postings

    Please read and understand before posting in the Critique Corner.

    Before You Post:
    a) Critique Corner is created for the sole and single purpose of getting feedback on images - feedback can be both good and bad, be prepared to take both in good faith.

    b) At all times, please refrain from posting personal or insidious remarks meant to degrade, humiliate or otherwise disparage a fellow member's postings (image or comments). Due to the potential volatile nature of this subforum, we will adhere to a higher standard of moderation in regards to this guideline. Keep the comments strictly pertaining to the image, not the member.


    When You Post:
    a) Members are only allowed to post ONE image PER week. This is to allow enough time for critiques to be written.

    a) Please keep your image dimensions to a comfortable size to facilitate easier viewing. We recommend the width to be no larger than 800 pixels.

    b) When posting comments, please stick to the image in question and not disparage the member.

    c) For the image poster, please include a short caption or description of the image or on specific areas where you want feedback on.

    d) For the comment poster, I append some guidelines suggested by member Zaren for starters :-

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaren
    1. critiques will not merely be "crap shot!", "nice shot!" or
    2. the critique will include constructive comments/suggestions on how to improve the photo.
    3. reasons will be given why the critique giver thinks the shot is good, or why the shot is weak/bad.
    4. ppl who post photos for critique must not take offence at any negative comments/critique even if the comments are as brutal as simon cowell's.
    5. unless otherwise stated, everyone giving a photo critique here is NOT a pro, NOT an expert, and does NOT have to show anyone their own portfolio to justify that they are worthy of critiquing photos. however, they are interested in learning how to critique better and more constructively, through practice.

    some guidelines for those giving photo critiques;
    - Framing/Composition (e.g. how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
    - Exposure/Tones (e.g. over blown highlights)
    - Color/WB
    - sharpness
    - Post-Process Workflow
    - artistic merit

    some guidelines for photographers posting photos for critique;
    1. know your subject
    2. draw attention to your subject
    3. simplify.
    it would also be helpful to post a short paragraph telling us why you took the pic and what you were trying to achieve photographically.
    Please note that this Guideline is a Work-in-Progress and we will add/modify as the subforum develops.

  2. #2

    Default

    Good idea! Hope it works this time round!

  3. #3
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    err, 800 pixels is how big a file size, still very bad in the digital lay, is it the same as a pic of about 50kb?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  4. #4

    Default

    cool! I thought this from roygoh's msg is a good idea..

    my suggestion is for zaren to take the lead in organising a group of members who will commit to giving more indepth photo critiques. The group can then go around the various subforums to critique photos, and can communicate among themselves via PM for issues such as load sharing and alerting each other of threads that require attention. That way your presence can be felt throughout the forum and I think that would be the most effective way in promoting good critiques in CS.

    Members who are interested in reading zaren's or the rest of the critique group's posts can always do a search for the repective nicks. Members who want to receive critiques from the critique group can always PM any of the group member. Members who are motivated to give more indepth critiques can do so anytime, and do not have to "officially" join zaren's enthusiasts group first.

  5. #5
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default



    This would really help newbies like me improve, willing to take the good with the bad is what it is all about.

    Special thanks to swingoutsister who started the thread that makes this all happen.

    ../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 6th July 2005 at 10:41 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    err, 800 pixels is how big a file size, still very bad in the digital lay, is it the same as a pic of about 50kb?
    800x600pixels display size, about 100 to 200kilobytes filesize...

  7. #7

    Default

    thanks for setting up the critique corner, darren.

  8. #8

    Default

    Would this sub-forum discourage serious critique on photos posted on other sub-forum?

  9. #9
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea
    Would this sub-forum discourage serious critique on photos posted on other sub-forum?
    I think not...

    This forum would make one thinks about which image he/she wanted to up for critique. Remember it is one image... for me that would mean I need to consider why this image and why I liked it, so when someone else gives feedback on it, makes me think about other perspectives and viewpoints looking at the same image.

    ../azul123

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea
    Would this sub-forum discourage serious critique on photos posted on other sub-forum?
    no.....serious critique is encouraged everywhere. however, resources and effort is scarce as it takes time to write a critique. this sub-forum makes it easier for ppl to give photo critiques in a frank manner, warts and all. not every photographer is comfortable with such blunt feedback, or is humble enough to be critiqued by a non-pro, non-expert. if they post here, that clearly signals their intention to receive feedback with an open mind. in return, they are guaranteed constructive criticism of their photograph.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Thumbs up

    Good effort by the team... Guess this is the next best thing after the forum contest and free gallery.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123
    I think not...

    This forum would make one thinks about which image he/she wanted to up for critique. Remember it is one image... for me that would mean I need to consider why this image and why I liked it, so when someone else gives feedback on it, makes me think about other perspectives and viewpoints looking at the same image.

    ../azul123
    Quote Originally Posted by zaren

    no.....serious critique is encouraged everywhere. however, resources and effort is scarce as it takes time to write a critique. this sub-forum makes it easier for ppl to give photo critiques in a frank manner, warts and all. not every photographer is comfortable with such blunt feedback, or is humble enough to be critiqued by a non-pro, non-expert. if they post here, that clearly signals their intention to receive feedback with an open mind. in return, they are guaranteed constructive criticism of their photograph.
    Personally, I think this sub-forum would erode the serious attempt
    to comment on photos posted in other sub-forums in certain extend.

    Photos posted in other forums would be deem as "for viewings or
    some kopitiam talks ".
    It might continue to suffer from the lack of viewer’s serious critique.


    One good example --->there is an immediate transfer of one photo
    for critique to this forum from the landscape forum.

    Anyway, there is always a Pro and Con for every new idea and implementation.

    I believe the CS has already considered all aspects before the birth
    of this new sub-forum. I appreciate it.

    All the Best! .
    I will support this sub-forum.
    Last edited by Hosea; 6th July 2005 at 02:39 PM.

  13. #13
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea
    Personally, I think this sub-forum would erode the serious attempt to comment on photos posted in other sub-forums in certain extend.

    Photos posted in other forums would be deem as "for viewings or some
    kopitiam talks ".
    It might continue to suffer from the lack of viewer’s serious critique.
    Problems not solved yet.

    One good example --->there is an immediate transfer of one photo for critique to this forum from the landscape forum.

    Anyway, there is always a Pro and Con for every new idea and implementation.

    I believe the CS has already considered all aspects before the birth of this forum

    All the Best! .
    I will support this sub-forum.
    Thanks for the feedback. Sad to say that there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

    We would definitely encourage members to try and leave some constructive feedback on members posts in the Photo Galleries, but for most members (if I am not wrong) the Photo Galleries are a just an avenue to share their images taken at outings or other occasions.

    We have been trying (perhaps not very hard) to inculcate members to provide better critiques in the Photo Galleries, but realise that it may be difficult because
    a) of the number of threads posts and/or
    b) the large number of images in the threads themselves.

    Hopefully, this time round, the Critique Corner will provide a section for those photographers who really want some constructive feedback on their work. Having a single dedicated area makes it easier for both image posters and critics.

    In time, the Critique Corner (or rather the members' expertise to provide good critique) may be such improved that critiques can be done forum-wide instead of just within a single area.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Thanks for the feedback. Sad to say that there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

    We would definitely encourage members to try and leave some constructive feedback on members posts in the Photo Galleries, but for most members (if I am not wrong) the Photo Galleries are a just an avenue to share their images taken at outings or other occasions.

    We have been trying (perhaps not very hard) to inculcate members to provide better critiques in the Photo Galleries, but realise that it may be difficult because
    a) of the number of threads posts and/or
    b) the large number of images in the threads themselves.

    Hopefully, this time round, the Critique Corner will provide a section for those photographers who really want some constructive feedback on their work. Having a single dedicated area makes it easier for both image posters and critics.

    In time, the Critique Corner (or rather the members' expertise to provide good critique) may be such improved that critiques can be done forum-wide instead of just within a single area.

    i agree, excellent effort for starting this
    without this Critique Corner, the other galleries will continue to 'degenerate' (at least that's how i see it)
    with this Critique Corner, at least there's a constant awareness.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i agree, excellent effort for starting this
    without this Critique Corner, the other galleries will continue to 'degenerate' (at least that's how i see it)
    with this Critique Corner, at least there's a constant awareness.

    Tx Darren, I support this idea of Critique Corner and also do agree with eikin's above comment.

  16. #16

    Default

    Darren
    another suggestion/feedback for critique corner...
    to minimize that the critics post similar feedbacks, I suggest that later critics read what earlier critics have posted should post something that wasnt said before...

    otherwise the CSer looking for feedback is gonna find a whole thread with repeated posts... will be hard to read =)

    Just count the number of times B&W has been mentioned in Mpenza's post =D

  17. #17
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    When You Post:
    a) Members are only allowed to post ONE image PER week. This is to allow enough time for critiques to be written.
    This is a good idea. Hard to comment on submissions with loads of images. But hard to enforce. As it is, there are some posting more than one image already. Then it makes this forum no different from the specific galleries.

    Cheers,

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    This is a good idea. Hard to comment on submissions with loads of images. But hard to enforce. As it is, there are some posting more than one image already. Then it makes this forum no different from the specific galleries.

    Cheers,
    so far only nick has posted 2 images while the rest have posted 1 image each. i think a gentle reminder at this stage is sufficient.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    so far only nick has posted 2 images while the rest have posted 1 image each. i think a gentle reminder at this stage is sufficient.
    Hi all, Thanks for creating this special photo critique sub-forum. I find that this is what we need, it's very helpful and beneficial especially for newbie and amateur who serious in improving their photography skill and technique. Here is the place where they can turn to and seeking for advises.

    As for the "gurus", here is the place where they can share their invaluable experience, skills and thoughts, this is also assure they will not step into flame war in justifying their qualification when unintentionally leave "unwelcome" comments.

    Btw, as for the posting limit, I hope 1 original and 1 "enhanced" copy is not too much.

    Thanks again for all putting such great efforts to promote Better Photography!

    Cheers!
    ST.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  20. #20

    Default

    I would encourage anyone who post a picture for critique to make an effort to write comments for others as well, so that we can have a more perspectives and active forum.

    It seems that there are only a few people who are regularly giving comments.

    And I hope besides minus points, plus points should be given so that the reader knows what they should go for in the future, besides what to avoid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •