Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: photo critiques *guaranteed*... all u need is a thick skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Kei
    Please post the photos in the relevant galleries unless you want to present an example.

Thanks.
    Moderator has spoken, so maybe we can take his advise.

Why don't we post our pics in our own threads in relevant galleries, then add a link here in this thread to our threads. Will that be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Kei
    Please post the photos in the relevant galleries unless you want to present an example.

Thanks.
    hi kei... these are photos that have previously been posted in the galleries but which have received none or few comments. they have been re-posted here for the purpose of practising photo critique.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    let me start:-

I had photos that were posted before but no comments. oh well lemme know if it works for anyone

this is an interesting photo which is let down by the drab colour of the murky water, and the lack of shadow detail of the black dog (would be nice to see its expression). IMHO cropping off the rightmost part of the pic will serve to place the black dog on the right hand third and increase its impact as the focal point of the photo. fill flash could also be used to reveal more details of the black dog.

is clubsnap finally waking up? =P
    I'm no expert but here's my honest comments on each foto... hope U can take it...

Areality: Too much black on the sides, pic gets boring after 2mins and conveys no meaning to general viewer unless an essay is attached.

Rebbot: Dont know what is the subject, Dog or boats or trash? Suggest use rule of thirds? Maybe crop the landscape foto into a portrait with the dog on top of trash. Or crop the right side of pic such that the dog is in the top right corner, like he's guarding that sh*t.

ST_sg: Since the bird's butt is cropped already, making the whole bird not wholly in the pic, might as well go for tighter crop to bring the viewer's eye to the bird's head & body. The water in the pic is also distracting from the bird.

espn: Feel the pic is very tight & constricting, as if the rose is sweating. Pic is also soft. For B&W, the tones are not enough to bring out the texture & details of the rose... mebbe change the lighting or angle so more details of the rose can clearly seen...

edit: didnt see the mod's post.
    Last edited by Rev; 5th July 2005 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    hi kei... these are photos that have previously been posted in the galleries but which have received none or few comments. they have been re-posted here for the purpose of practising photo critique.
    hello zaren, don't know if you have read this.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=137

Ian presents an excellent solution. Although the majority of us might not be able to practise critique, but it's a great way for us to hear from professionals/experts instead.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    hello zaren, don't know if you have read this.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=137

Ian presents an excellent solution. Although the majority of us might not be able to practise critique, but it's a great way for us to hear from professionals/experts instead.
    thx foxtwo....i have read it.

to be perfectly frank (since this is a frank thread!), i think ian, jed and other pros are very bz ppl who may not have time to critique that many photos on a *guaranteed* basis. at the same time, the rest of us all need to start somewhere in the art of photography taking, appreciation and critique, so why not divvy up the workload as well as learn and improve as we go along?
    i would love for ian, jed, pro image, ed, ellery and as many others as possible to critique photos here as well!

I had photos that were posted before but no comments. oh well lemme know if it works for anyone

"This is probably an interesting vignette of life on Singapore River. I don't know whether you could find a way to shoot this with modern Singapore skyline as background? That would add a story line to it.

As a 4D addict my eyes are drawn to the numbers on the left boat more than the main subject of interest. 4081? 0814?

An overcast day with flat lighting? I would kick in a bit of contrast with curve control in PS. That would clean up the dull colours as well.

I think this would be more effective as a black and white photo. And if you could position yourself on the left shooting with a longer lens with the dog on top of the piles of junks on the boat and waters, that would be a better angle and neater and tighter composition.

Looking at the male dog's bulge, did you by any chance have a bitch beside you when you took this photo?"

This type of critque can or not?

anyway....what do the mods think? too chaotic an idea to post pics here for critique? am open to suggestions, advice , whatever....thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    "This is probably an interesting vignette of life on Singapore River. I don't know whether you could find a way to shoot this with modern Singapore skyline as background? That would add a story line to it.

As a 4D addict my eyes are drawn to the numbers on the left boat more than the main subject of interest. 4081? 0814?

An overcast day with flat lighting? I would kick in a bit of contrast with curve control in PS. That would clean up the dull colours as well.

I think this would be more effective as a black and white photo. And if you could position yourself on the left shooting with a longer lens with the dog on top of the piles of junks on the boat and waters, that would be a better angle and neater and tighter composition.

Looking at the male dog's bulge, did you by any chance have a bitch beside you when you took this photo?"

This type of critque can or not?
    this type of critique i will pay good money for! where have you been hiding all this while, sion???!!!

Some points to add... I usually follow following guidelines whenever I look at a photo & give critiques.

- Framing/Composition (how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
    - Exposure/Tones (over blown highlights)
    - Color/WB
    - sharpness
    - Post-Process Workflow

Example, so some pics have good composition but bad sharpness and some pics have bad composition, bad exposure but good fotoshop etc etc

Suggest that we follow these guidelines if we're to help each other improve. 1 site that I visit now doesnt sugar coat their comments... helped me improve faster than CS...

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    this type of critique i will pay good money for! where have you been hiding all this while, sion???!!!
    Please wire $200 to my account with Australia & New Zealand Bank.

Blog Entries

Default Critique

Quote Originally Posted by AReality

An interesting subject with a hint of voyerism. It makes me wonder what the person in the forground is looking at. but the elements in the image is too distracting and draws my line of sight everywhere. perhapsmore light on the person in the forground and PS away the details of the shop in the background. of course if the forground is sharp it would have been better.
    I hope this helps.

Last edited by LolliPoP; 5th July 2005 at 07:52 PM.

Perhaps posters asking for serious critiques may like to include a caption, and a paragraph on why they took that pic.

What about this one??

Last edited by LolliPoP; 5th July 2005 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Zaren, this is a good idea but to be honest, I think this will fail if it become too successful. I mean 10 photos here and there with 10 critics here and there will be a bit confusing, and there is a chance you will miss 1 photo, which will break your original promise. Maybe request the mod to create a new folder for "serious" critique? Easier to scan who posted what as well.
    Zaren, I agree with dawgbyte. I was trying to chose an image to "critique" and suddenly there were all these images! And this is only the beginning! I think it will be a little chaotic as things progress.

Let me see if my opinion makes sense!

I think what prompted this rebbot to take this picture is the dog on that pile of stuff. As I see it, there is just too much clutter on the left side of the image, making the dog a very part of the picture. I would prefer to crop off most of the other boats on the left to try to bring focus to the dog and the stuff he was standing guard over. The lighting is flat and while a little contrast may be a little better, the image will still be flat.

Unlike Sion, I do not think this image will do well in B&W. Just too flat. just wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Zaren, I agree with dawgbyte. I was trying to chose an image to "critique" and suddenly there were all these images! And this is only the beginning! I think it will be a little chaotic as things progress.
    well....to be fair....first critique those pics which havent been critiqued yet. then if u have more energy....critique other pics, like the "dog on boat" pic.

let's see how it goes....i think having a dedicated folder for critique is a good idea. let the mods/admin decide what's best.

Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    What about this one??

you caught the monkey just at the right moment, just as it was biting into the biscuit. however, the pic just looks too soft for my liking, possibly due to camera shake? the discarded water bottle in the left background also ruins the pic. try to exclude it by shooting the monkey face-on. this will also give you better eye-contact with your subject and give your photo greater impact.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast