Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: photo critiques *guaranteed*... all u need is a thick skin!

  1. #1

    Default photo critiques *guaranteed*... all u need is a thick skin!

    hi all,

    decided to start this thread in the spirit of fostering more photo critiques on clubsnap. anyone who posts a photo for critique on this thread will be *guaranteed* a critique either be me, or anyone else who is interested to practice photo critiques. some guidelines to follow for this thread:

    1. critiques will not merely be "crap shot!", "nice shot!", or
    2. the critique will include constructive comments/suggestions on how to improve the photo.
    3. reasons will be given why the critique giver thinks the shot is good, or why the shot is weak/bad.
    4. ppl who post photos for critique must not take offence at any negative comments/critique even if the comments are as brutal as simon cowell's.
    5. unless otherwise stated, everyone giving a photo critique here is NOT a pro, NOT an expert, and does NOT have to show anyone their own portfolio to justify that they are worthy of critiquing photos. however, they are interested in learning how to critique better and more constructively, through practice.

    some guidelines for those giving photo critiques;
    - Framing/Composition (e.g. how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
    - Exposure/Tones (e.g. over blown highlights)
    - Color/WB
    - sharpness
    - Post-Process Workflow
    - artistic merit

    some guidelines for photographers posting photos for critique;
    1. know your subject
    2. draw attention to your subject
    3. simplify.
    it would also be helpful to post a short paragraph telling us why you took the pic and what you were trying to achieve photographically.
    Last edited by zaren; 5th July 2005 at 11:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    lets start, your avatar has got harsh shadow, you might want to consider the use of bounce flash. but the moment captured is a good one. i feel that it is cropped too tight on the top. Nice retro feel on the colour scheme.

    BTW good idea on this tread

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    hi all,

    decided to start this thread in the spirit of fostering more photo critiques on clubsnap. anyone who posts a photo for critique on this thread will be *guaranteed* a critique either be me, or anyone else who is interested to practice photo critiques. some guidelines to follow for this thread:

    1. critiques will not merely be "crap shot!", "nice shot!", or
    2. the critique will include constructive comments/suggestions on how to improve the photo.
    3. reasons will be given why the critique giver thinks the shot is good, or why the shot is weak/bad.
    4. ppl who post photos for critique must not take offence at any negative comments/critique even if the comments are as brutal as simon cowell's.
    5. unless otherwise stated, everyone giving a photo critique here is NOT a pro, NOT an expert, and does NOT have to show anyone their own portfolio to justify that they are worthy of critiquing photos. however, they are interested in learning how to critique better and more constructively, through practice.


  4. #4

    Default

    Sorry, Zaren

    That was just a silly prank!

    I think what you wrote is highly commendable.

    However, although what you wrote is desirable, I think,in practice, for some it may be difficult for them to give suggestions to the "poster" to improve.(#2)

    I am not aversed to the idea of "Nice" or "crap", as long as it is followed up by the reasons why they felt that way. (#3)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KayuTanah (w00dLaNds)
    Posts
    131

    Default

    finally....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    lets start, your avatar has got harsh shadow, you might want to consider the use of bounce flash. but the moment captured is a good one. i feel that it is cropped too tight on the top. Nice retro feel on the colour scheme.
    yes....this is the kind of critique we want!! keep 'em coming, ortega!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    lets start, your avatar has got harsh shadow, you might want to consider the use of bounce flash. but the moment captured is a good one. i feel that it is cropped too tight on the top. Nice retro feel on the colour scheme.

    BTW good idea on this tread
    that's fast~already we have our first critique To add on, great idea zaren cheers~and may this thread grow with critiques!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Sorry, Zaren

    That was just a silly prank!

    I think what you wrote is highly commendable.

    However, although what you wrote is desirable, I think,in practice, for some it may be difficult for them to give suggestions to the "poster" to improve.(#2)
    as i said b4...this thread is also for ppl to practice giving critiques, so... all they need is to try their best and suggest something for improvement, even if it sounds silly. after all, how else can one learn, if not through practice?

    I am not aversed to the idea of "Nice" or "crap", as long as it is followed up by the reasons why they felt that way. (#3)
    agree....as long as it does not start and end only with "nice" or "crap", the critique is acceptable here.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    that's fast~already we have our first critique
    yep...all we need are some brave ppl to post their photos here for critique.
    remember....there's no more excuse for anyone out there to say, "my pics have no comments." just post them here....critique is GUARANTEED.


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    You mean "nice" is not nice anymore? Oh well...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    You mean "nice" is not nice anymore? Oh well...
    "nice" is still nice. but "nice" doesnt mean perfect, so there is *always* room for improvement.

  12. #12

    Default

    Here...
    Let u all start practising with this 1...





    .

  13. #13

    Default

    let me start:-

    I had photos that were posted before but no comments. oh well lemme know if it works for anyone


  14. #14

    Default

    ok. Let you all practise practise...

    Welcome critiques comments on how well or how bad is this shot? ie. exposure, colors, composition, etc...



    Thanks all

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Here's mine

    -

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    ok. Let you all practise practise...

    Welcome critiques comments on how well or how bad is this shot? ie. exposure, colors, composition, etc...



    Thanks all
    hmmm nice catch~ i did say composition works for me and I was wondering if it would be better with fill-in flash, not a flash expert but since the range wasn't too far

    Cheers~

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Here's mine

    -
    M*****r G***u espn, ur pics too gd too critique

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Here...
    Let u all start practising with this 1...





    .
    the viewer has to work quite hard in this photo firstly to figure out what it's about, then to try to make out the details of the two people in the photograph. the central person has partially merged with the background, while the person on the right has half its silhouette chopped off. the indistinct OOF framing in the foreground only serves to clutter the pic. i feel that other perspectives can be explored, as well as a stronger sense of directional lighting which portrays the subject more clearly.

  19. #19

    Default

    Please post the photos in the relevant galleries unless you want to present an example.

    Thanks.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Zaren, this is a good idea but to be honest, I think this will fail if it become too successful. I mean 10 photos here and there with 10 critics here and there will be a bit confusing, and there is a chance you will miss 1 photo, which will break your original promise. Maybe request the mod to create a new folder for "serious" critique? Easier to scan who posted what as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •