Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Discounted Petrol = Discounted Performance

  1. #1

    Default Discounted Petrol = Discounted Performance

    The recent petrol price war has caused many ppl rushing to top up their tank.
    Personally I find that the efficiency for these "highly" discounted petrol burns faster than usual. In another words is that we are not saving at the end of day but may need to top up more petrol instead. It is only sales gimmicks I think.

    Some friends I know had the similiar experience ...
    Probably more hydrocarbon is added to the petrol to increase the faster burn rate..

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    The recent petrol price war has caused many ppl rushing to top up their tank.
    Personally I find that the efficiency for these "highly" discounted petrol burns faster than usual. In another words is that we are not saving at the end of day but may need to top up more petrol instead. It is only sales gimmicks I think.

    Some friends I know had the similiar experience ...
    Probably more hydrocarbon is added to the petrol to increase the faster burn rate..
    Don't think that would be quite probable. After all, if this is true, imagine the great stake here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Hmmm. Come to think of it I do notice that my car is consuming more petrol than before. But I just ignore it thinking that I travel more but when doing a mileage count I can see that it is burning more fuel.

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    no relation at all.

    its psychological.
    cheap, so i burn more, thus use up more.

    afiak, its till the same formula for the discounted petrol.

    i still get the same FC, it has not decreased.

  5. #5

    Default

    Actually i think i am paying about the same, i only get maybe less than 10 worth of discounts.

    Even with the discounts, the petrol prices are going up.

  6. #6

    Lightbulb

    you should know that the speed of such discounts are like 1/2 hour lead time by the leader in a particular area. the followers in the same area will respond with discounts within hours. how to adulterate the petrol and risk their branding?

  7. #7

    Default

    Aiyah, dont worry lah, I think Quality control wont suffer. After all, all these oil companies are large MNCs. They will not want their reputation to suffer...

    OT: By the way, these oil companies must be mad! Oil prices at all time high and they are offering large discounts. So I guess you better fill up when you pass by any discounted petrol stations!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    ...Probably more hydrocarbon is added to the petrol to increase the faster burn rate..
    If this is true, it is as good as dishonesty. The numbers on the types of petrol has a meaning. Quoting a higher number & giving a lower grade petrol is fraud.



    .

  9. #9

    Default

    I was just wondering about this today. Usually my car drinks up half tank after driving 300km. With the discounted fuel it is about 200km. Hardly psychological lah ... happened twice liao. What gives?

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    I was just wondering about this today. Usually my car drinks up half tank after driving 300km. With the discounted fuel it is about 200km. Hardly psychological lah ... happened twice liao. What gives?
    My FC still stands at the avg of 14km/l discount or no discount leh.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    My FC still stands at the avg of 14km/l discount or no discount leh.
    which petrol are u using? maybe I go and try it.

  12. #12

    Lightbulb

    if you think you have a case, bring it up to the petrol station in question or CASE.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    I was just wondering about this today. Usually my car drinks up half tank after driving 300km. With the discounted fuel it is about 200km. Hardly psychological lah ... happened twice liao. What gives?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    if you think you have a case, bring it up to the petrol station in question or CASE.
    no case lah. all this is empirical data from single sample (aka my car).

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    I was just wondering about this today. Usually my car drinks up half tank after driving 300km. With the discounted fuel it is about 200km. Hardly psychological lah ... happened twice liao. What gives?
    Hmm... Lemme guess...

    U rev ur engine at the Evo beside u?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm... Lemme guess...

    U rev ur engine at the Evo beside u?
    hahah ... yah yah.

  16. #16

    Default

    No kidding, I pumped Mobil 95 after the discount started, got only 10km/l instead of the usual 12km/l. I was shocked at how fast the fuel gauge kept dropping.

  17. #17
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    which petrol are u using? maybe I go and try it.
    i cheapo one.

    I pump Mobil2000 (92octanes)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •