Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Buying DIgi cam

Sunny03,

Like you, I was looking at a great digicam to replace my old 2.x mp HP digicam. I was initially looking at the Panasonic FZ-5 and the FZ-20. After reading a few reviews and looking at the threads about the cam, I was about to decide for either and then, the S2 IS came along.

After doing another week of comparisions between the 3 digicams, I went for the Canon S2 IS. What I was looking for was for convenience for battery replacement. The Panas cannot do so if you are in the middle of nowhere and your battery decides to go....

So I bought the S2 for its great video feature (zoom while taking movies and you can take snapshots in between without having to switch modes) and the 4AAs as well.

I am loving every minute of the S2.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    I also prefer AA batteries. Thats why I bought my A85 7 months ago. Just stock up no more AA batteries. I always bring at least 12 batteries along. If you need batteries cases and go East Gear at Peninsula to buy them. It only costs $1 to store 4 batteries.
    after what happened during my sis' convo which i felt so sorry for her....i told myself, any digicam i buy in future, i will only consider those models that come with AA/AAA batteries, regardless of how fantastic the reviews on those proprietary type digicam.....

seriously, those proprietary batteries, its life span per charge will get shorter (that was how i get caught - when brand new, it lasts approx 200 shots per charge, eventually the performance dropped to 120 shots per charge)...without the battery power indicator, very difficult to gauge..

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888
    Sunny03,

Like you, I was looking at a great digicam to replace my old 2.x mp HP digicam. I was initially looking at the Panasonic FZ-5 and the FZ-20. After reading a few reviews and looking at the threads about the cam, I was about to decide for either and then, the S2 IS came along.

After doing another week of comparisions between the 3 digicams, I went for the Canon S2 IS. What I was looking for was for convenience for battery replacement. The Panas cannot do so if you are in the middle of nowhere and your battery decides to go....

So I bought the S2 for its great video feature (zoom while taking movies and you can take snapshots in between without having to switch modes) and the 4AAs as well.

I am loving every minute of the S2.

Hi guys

thank for your help in helping me to decide .

Guess i will go for Canon S2 as i may adopt to it faster. And of course the AA batteries is easily replaceable.

But felix

Is there a play back function and with audio for S2 since u are using it also

Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    Hi guys

thank for your help in helping me to decide .

Guess i will go for Canon S2 as i may adopt to it faster. And of course the AA batteries is easily replaceable.

But felix

Is there a play back function and with audio for S2 since u are using it also
    Yes there is and it is very clear too.

I will compare the FZ20 with the S2.

Have a look at the FZ20 if your budget permits. Or if you can wait, the FZ30.

what the advantages for FZ20 over S2.

FZ-20 Advantages
    F2.8 throughout wide to zoom
    hotshoe mount for external flash

S2 Advantages
    zooming while recording movie
    snapshots while recording movie
    playback of video with sound
    stereo microphones
    AA Batteries

Also if Video quality is important to you, the Panasonics are only capable of 320x240 whereas the Canon S2 gives you 640x480 VGA quality.

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888
    FZ-20 Advantages
    F2.8 throughout wide to zoom
    hotshoe mount for external flash

S2 Advantages
    zooming while recording movie
    snapshots while recording movie
    playback of video with sound
    stereo microphones
    AA Batteries

hi felix can i know wat is F2.8 ??

but i seldom record movie or video the video function is not that important.

I prefer a cam that could take a clear macro shot through a 10mm glass.
    Is FZ20 or S2 capable of doing it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12