Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Newbie Buying DIgi cam

  1. #1

    Default Newbie Buying DIgi cam

    Hi

    I used to own a canon A70 cam for 2yrs and this few days it fail on me. Sent for service and it will cos me $140.

    So i decided to change a to a new cam.

    1. Budget around $800
    2. Camera Able to use on land and UW.
    Prefer a perform better on land camera which can also take a few underwater shots
    3. Power options AA batteries
    4. If possible a CF card as i have a 256 CF card from my old A70
    5. Ease of maintainance and support (accessibility of repair facility)
    6. Accessibility of camera controls in housing

    Is it too much for me to ask ??

    Currently i have a few cam in mind but not sure they are able to use UW
    1.Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom
    2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
    3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

    Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around this weekend

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    Hi

    I used to own a canon A70 cam for 2yrs and this few days it fail on me. Sent for service and it will cos me $140.

    So i decided to change a to a new cam.

    1. Budget around $800
    2. Camera Able to use on land and UW.
    Prefer a perform better on land camera which can also take a few underwater shots
    3. Power options AA batteries
    4. If possible a CF card as i have a 256 CF card from my old A70
    5. Ease of maintainance and support (accessibility of repair facility)
    6. Accessibility of camera controls in housing

    Is it too much for me to ask ??

    Currently i have a few cam in mind but not sure they are able to use UW
    1.Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom
    2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
    3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

    Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around
    this weekend




    it depends.. r u planning to go back to the canon system? the specs are about the same, depends on the system u prefer...

  3. #3

    Default

    for the system
    i can adjust myself to suit the system.

    most important is that i can get a value for money cam

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    If you are planning to get the C-770UZ, I have one for sale.

    Check out this thread:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=120083

    Personally I think this is a good cam but it's abit too light for me. Think it's the smallest and lightest ultra-zoom around? But then got no anti-shake la, that's a minus.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    hi,

    i m not sure if d Panasonic FZ-5 has a U/W housing available. but i hav read reviews tt d Panasonic is betta den Canon S1 in terms of pic quality, value, etc....

    u may 1 2 check out www.dpreview.com

    oh i hope ur stated budget did not include d $$ of d U/W housing...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03

    Currently i have a few cam in mind but not sure they are able to use UW
    1.Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom
    2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
    3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

    Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around this weekend
    Bro

    The S2 is out, why still the S1. Check out the reviews of the S2 over at www.dpreview.com

  7. #7

    Default hmm...

    if u ask me choose either s2 to the canon ixus range. the one with the 5 megapix and upwards...


    go for the canon ixus.... i am a nikon user, no offenses

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Lyn
    if u ask me choose either s2 to the canon ixus range. the one with the 5 megapix and upwards...


    go for the canon ixus.... i am a nikon user, no offenses
    That is the question which makes people wonder why Canon doesnt up the megapixels to 7 for the S2 since the launching is later than the Ixus700.

    For 4R photos, I believe it doesnt significantly make any differences whether its the Ixus700 or S2. The only difference I believe is that the user needs just a consumer camera or a prosumer camera.

    Just my little opinion.

    Cheers

  9. #9

    Default

    wat if i am going to get a 2nd hand cam wat are the things to look for??

    After looking at the sale forum found that there a few cam for sale under 800 like FZ-20

  10. #10

    Default ...

    lenses... warranty... buttons.. body.. i think

  11. #11

    Default

    If you like Canon then go for S2 unless you have a tight budget then get S1. I'm also looking to upgrade my A85 soon. Will still stick to Canon unless Nikon can offer a better deal for their cameras.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    wat if i am going to get a 2nd hand cam wat are the things to look for??

    After looking at the sale forum found that there a few cam for sale under 800 like FZ-20
    Bro, I got my new Canon S2 for $840 (incl. GST) at AP and comes with 256MB memory card and 7-in-1 Goodie bag from Canon. For that extra little money, why not get a new camera instead and a one-year warranty that sets your mind at ease.

    Give it a little thought.

    Cheers

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    Bro, I got my new Canon S2 for $840 (incl. GST) at AP and comes with 256MB memory card and 7-in-1 Goodie bag from Canon. For that extra little money, why not get a new camera instead and a one-year warranty that sets your mind at ease.

    Give it a little thought.

    Cheers

    Tks bro but for the spec the S2 are using 4 batt same as the A70
    think it much heavy den the FZ

    BTW where is AP you guys keep talking abpout

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    Tks bro but for the spec the S2 are using 4 batt same as the A70
    think it much heavy den the FZ

    BTW where is AP you guys keep talking abpout
    AP = Alan Photo. There's 1 at Sim Lim Square and 1 at Funan.

  15. #15
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    for the system
    i can adjust myself to suit the system.

    most important is that i can get a value for money cam
    CP= Cathay Photo = Penisula Plaza
    AP= Alan Photo = Funan/SLS
    MS = MS Color = Ang Mo Kio Central (Look for Mr Loh or Florence and say Felix sent you).

    I got all my stuff (35mm and now digital from them). Friendly and knowledgeable folks.


    Cheers....

    The Canon S2 is now offered with a 256MB SD card and a Canon 7-in-1 bag with has to be collected from Canon HarbourFront.

    p.s. I DO NOT receive any commission by recommending anyone to go there.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    Tks bro but for the spec the S2 are using 4 batt same as the A70
    think it much heavy den the FZ

    BTW where is AP you guys keep talking abpout
    The use of AA batteries should be seen as a advantage rather than a disadvantage.

    For long trips or trips to countries where they do not have the same output voltage as Singapore, you will not be able to charge your camera's rechargable battery. This is where the use of AA batteries (available anywhere) comes in handy.

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Member catseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Hi Sunny,

    Sorry if I sidetrack a bit. You may want to check with Canon if you can trade in the faulty A70 for the newer A95 at the repair price. You can then decide to keep the A95, or sell it to upgrade to the S2.

    BTW, I too got the S2 from MS about 3 weeks back at $850. Love the all in one Stills and Video features.

    Cheers.

  18. #18

    Default

    Thanks Guys u have been a great help

    Lately been to many website and browse .
    Decided to get either one of this model
    1.Panasonic DMC FZ5
    2.Canon Powershot S2 IS

    Knowing that FZ5 are capable of taking sharper image den S2 (not sure about the Marco shot suppose FZ5 are better) can someone justify?

    However S2 is much more heavier den FZ5 and cons it uses AA battery.

    As previously as i am a canon user think it much easier for me to adopt to another canno cam.

    Another question is that I suppose that both cam does not have a UW casing. Is this true ? can i get a casing for S2 since some of the Canon cam have UW casing. Not sure about Panasonic cos never heard that Panasonic have UW casing.

    Lastly i hope that i did not create a war between canon & Panasonic user.

    Maybe you guys can give some more advise and help me to decide on which cam should i buy.

    Here is some pic that i have taken with my A70 last time. Hope i can do better with my new cam




    Believe i did not take a good pic after seeing the gallary photo

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunny03
    Lately been to many website and browse .
    Decided to get either one of this model
    1.Panasonic DMC FZ5
    2.Canon Powershot S2 IS

    Knowing that FZ5 are capable of taking sharper image den S2 (not sure about the Marco shot suppose FZ5 are better) can someone justify?

    However S2 is much more heavier den FZ5 and cons it uses AA battery.
    i was undecided among this 2...and eventually went for S2 IS.

    Image quality - not much different.....
    Price - FZ5 wins....but you pay extra for S2 coz it has something Fz5 doesn't have...notably the more mannual features and brilliant video recording..
    Weight - you confused me, i tot FZ5 is heavier despite smaller in size...

    Battery - the main reason i went for S2 was for its AA battery...from your tone, you sound like you dislike AA battery, any reason? for me, it costs much cheaper to get a spare set of rechargeable AA battery than a proprietary battery....imagine this factor also, you were at the beach, realised that your proprietary battery power all used up or somehow wasn't properly recharged the night before....how? i personally experienced that when my proprietary battery eat up its power faster than i expected (most digicam model has no batter power indicator), that happened when i was shooting for my sister during her graduation convo, isn;t that a life time shot?....i have to rush to get a disposable film camera....

    i alway prefer to use AA battery type of camera...i can just pop into any retail shop or convenient store and get myself a new set of Alkaline battery.....with properietary battery, when you are faced with that Life time shot opportunity and it fails on you, even you are willing to pay money also cannot get the "power" you wanted....

    just my 2 cents...

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swing123
    i was undecided among this 2...and eventually went for S2 IS.

    Image quality - not much different.....
    Price - FZ5 wins....but you pay extra for S2 coz it has something Fz5 doesn't have...notably the more mannual features and brilliant video recording..
    Weight - you confused me, i tot FZ5 is heavier despite smaller in size...

    Battery - the main reason i went for S2 was for its AA battery...from your tone, you sound like you dislike AA battery, any reason? for me, it costs much cheaper to get a spare set of rechargeable AA battery than a proprietary battery....imagine this factor also, you were at the beach, realised that your proprietary battery power all used up or somehow wasn't properly recharged the night before....how? i personally experienced that when my proprietary battery eat up its power faster than i expected (most digicam model has no batter power indicator), that happened when i was shooting for my sister during her graduation convo, isn;t that a life time shot?....i have to rush to get a disposable film camera....

    i alway prefer to use AA battery type of camera...i can just pop into any retail shop or convenient store and get myself a new set of Alkaline battery.....with properietary battery, when you are faced with that Life time shot opportunity and it fails on you, even you are willing to pay money also cannot get the "power" you wanted....

    just my 2 cents...
    I also prefer AA batteries. Thats why I bought my A85 7 months ago. Just stock up no more AA batteries. I always bring at least 12 batteries along. If you need batteries cases and go East Gear at Peninsula to buy them. It only costs $1 to store 4 batteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •