Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [nitewalk] photo review of the sony a6000

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zig Ziggler View Post
    Hi BD, could this be what you are referring to?
    Thanks for sharing, yes i suspect it could be overly aggressive processing coz it looks kinda different. The 12bit depth could have something to do with the low tolerance of the gradient of the sky. Hence, slightly under-exposing the image would avoid a need to over-process the image. The resultant image you see was done by under-exposing slightly.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 3rd May 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Ooh I see. But I seldom see this with Pentax raw. Prob the tolerance from Pentax is higher and can let one meddle more with pp.

Blog Entries

Ooh I see. But I seldom see this with Pentax raw. Prob the tolerance from Pentax is higher and can let one meddle more with pp.
    Well depends on the body you use. I had this problem with my K-01 which coincidentally is a 12-bit raw. However, no as much a problem on K5/K5iis. The dynamic range of K5/K5iis is also higher. I don't see this as a problem on 5D2 also. It handled highlights rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post

Well depends on the body you use. I had this problem with my K-01 which coincidentally is a 12-bit raw. However, no as much a problem on K5/K5iis. The dynamic range of K5/K5iis is also higher. I don't see this as a problem on 5D2 also. It handled highlights rather well.
    oooh now you reminded me. i remb seeing the same problem from k01 but don't recall facing similar problems with the k5. Tks for the enlightenment!

Btw is it confirmed that the raw files for a6000 is only 12 bit depth? And anyways to increase it? Cant find much info at dpreview.

Blog Entries

oooh now you reminded me. i remb seeing the same problem from k01 but don't recall facing similar problems with the k5. Tks for the enlightenment! Btw is it confirmed that the raw files for a6000 is only 12 bit depth? And anyways to increase it? Cant find much info at dpreview.
    I remember reading in some spec sheet it is 12bit raw. Iirc, i also read it on the test done on a6000 on dxomark so you could try that site.

Blog Entries

Default Re: [nitewalk] photo review of the sony a6000

I'm back. Another single shot, but some processing done.

Seems awfully prone to CA but some may say it is easy to correct. Sharpness is decent, and I can't compare with whatever i mount on the d610 anyway. However, one thing pleasing was, with the workflow i had settled on recently, the RAW files seem surprisingly comfortable with the same workflow which resulted in some banding issues on the Nikon, something which i had painfully tried to deal with for the past couple of months. The tiltable LCD and lightweight mean i can shoot with a lighter tripod and in most cases a lower tripod would not cause me to have to bend lower.

Overall, I would say i had some fun shooting with this. Great travel body, easy to use and delightful. I am slowly adjusting to this body and the files.

Last edited by nitewalk; 4th June 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Blog Entries

A monochrome converted shot, will post the coloured version later. One thing i am happy with is that i clearly don't have to worry about light leaks during long exposure! The whole setup was so light (with the SEL1018) that i had to retake a few shots as it shook (the tripod is very lightweight too)! I was contemplating bringing my d610 for my impending trips but this shoot has convinced me to bring this instead!

Sony FTW!!

Blog Entries

Some images on travel

Blog Entries

With regards to dynamic range, the a6000 is definitely not at the top of the list but not much worse as well. This is an example of a 9 shot panorama. No blending, just raw editing. Yes I lifted the shadows, i did not use GND filters, so I guess the dynamic range is sufficient to even handle an epic sky. Expose the sky right, and u can just lift the shadows. Let me try exposing to the right one day and write about how the a6000 fares with this technique.

Blog Entries

Taken using Sony E 10-18mm. The a6000 seems to be quite capable of retaining shadow details. This was shot where the light was more casted on the top of the cliff and did a fair amount of shadow recovery as this is a single shot image. Pretty good shadow details in the end.

Taken using Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G OSS. Very fast focusing and decent details. This lens seem to go well with the a6000, utilising the fast autofocus on the body.

Blog Entries

A panorama of 4 frames using the Sony E 10-18mm

Nice composition here bro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    Nice composition here bro.
    Thanks man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12