Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend mirrorless camera that is weather resistant

Default Re: Recommend mirrorless camera that is weather resistant

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Can't you just pair this with a Wifi card?
    Ermmm... Because I will need to pair it with many Wifi cards?!!
    And I already have many non-Wifi cards which I want to use.
    I use my camera mostly for travelling so need more cards.
    And that is also why I want it to have wifi.
    Easy for sharing and backup on other devices.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Hi, The guys here are frank in a good natured way, don't worry

Hmm, honestly maybe u should sit down and start weighing which spec is more important and so on. The EM5(elite) is a 2014 model and it also doesn't have wifi.
    That's because it isn't a new model released in 2014.
    It is a 2012 model (based on EM5) with a different shell and released in 2014.
    That's why it's called EM5 still.
    It's all the same internally, they only changed the shell for a cosmetic change.
    Seriously, all new model cameras released in 2014 have built-in wifi.
    Even at the low end! It's the norm now.

To have 4 cameras damaged by water I'm really taken aback as I've shot in rain before with non weather resistant cameras (EP5 for example) and they are still as good as new. Learn how to maintain and clean your equipment so they run the extra mile.
    Well, I was very taken aback too because I have shot at least a dozen times in Singapore with non-weather resistant cameras (same one that finally got spoilt by rain), but never had any problem at all.
    But I soon learnt that the rain overseas is different from the rain in Singapore!
    Perhaps different acidity or some other factors.
    I had merely some light gentle little bit rain in London and my camera got spoilt.
    I've had 10x more rain on my camera in Singapore and no issue.
    Sometimes I am in a situation where I cannot put my camera in a waterproof bag when it rains, e.g. on a cable car and no bag, etc.
    The last time it got spoilt, I kept it in my bag when it rained.
    Bag is supposed to be water resistant but perhaps it is old and lost the effectiveness and rain was too much.
    So... all different situations.
    In the end, I think better to get a water resistant camera. Lol.
    I do clean and maintain my equipment very well.
    If you shoot a lot overseas, then you will know.

Thinking back and forth , ya, I'll still recommend the EM5 with a wifi card. This way only one thing in your list isn't met : weight. And frankly anyone who feels the EM5 is heavy probably should start considering shooting a handphone instead.

Lastly , do a favor for yourself - it's good to have a budget so look around for the prices of lenses in the brand u are considering and ensure it's within your affordable range. Buying a $1800 body isn't going to be any useful if all the native lenses are above $1000, likewise getting an EM5 at 6xx second hand opens the doors to solid primes at below $500 (17:1.8 , 25/1.8 , 45/1.8 and kit zooms below $200 even - 14-45 & 14-42)

Is wifi so important ?
    Yeah EM5 is within weight. Around 420g body.
    I listed that weight after researching a few of these options mentioned so I know its possible.
    Was just wondering if there are any other options.

About the wifi, yeah, explained it in previous post.
    When I was travelling with my non-Wifi camera, I would take a photo with my camera and take the same photo again with my iPhone if I wanted to share it or have a back up copy.
    So, imagine this is quite cumbersome when it happens frequently and also wasting time while travelling.
    FYI, I travel around half a year every year... so, just think how frequently I have this hassle.
    What is the point of having technological advancement if I can't take advantage of it to make my life easier?
    If such a technology exist, of course I want to take advantage of it to help me.
    As in my case, this is not an occasional need.
    Otherwise I would do away with it.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The important thing to note here is there is nothing on the market that meets TS's requirements totally. In the end TS need to prioritize and have some give and take.

EM1 EM5, Nikon AW 1, XT are all weather sealed, with weather sealing of the Nikon to be the best. But TS, you need to give and take somewhat. What requirements to give and take is really up to you. You can even get an EM10 and wrap it in plastic bags.
    I thought so that nothing might exist now too.
    Yes, I understand that I may need to compromise and forego something.

How do you know that weather sealing of Nikon is the best?

OK guys, so what if I drop the budget... forget about price...
    So does anything exist in the market that can fulfil all criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    The AW1 is a waterproof camera (can go underwater to 15m) whereas the rest are just weatherproof??
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 26th April 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Seriously, all new model cameras released in 2014 have built-in wifi.
    Even at the low end! It's the norm now.

...In the end, I think better to get a water resistant camera. Lol.
    I do clean and maintain my equipment very well.
    If you shoot a lot overseas, then you will know.

Yeah EM5 is within weight. Around 420g body.
    Was just wondering if there are any other options.

About the wifi, yeah, explained it in previous post.
    When I was travelling with my non-Wifi camera, I would take a photo with my camera and take the same photo again with my iPhone if I wanted to share it or have a back up copy.
    So, imagine this is quite cumbersome when it happens frequently and also wasting time while travelling.
    FYI, I travel around half a year every year... so, just think how frequently I have this hassle.
    What is the point of having technological advancement if I can't take advantage of it to make my life easier?
    If such a technology exist, of course I want to take advantage of it to help me.
    As in my case, this is not an occasional need.
    hi,

hence we are back to the same story but at least you've made it very very clear now wifi is non-negotiably important to you.

Apologies if I had given the impression u don't know how to maintain you equipment. Let me assure you I've shot overseas, and more than twice per year. I've stuck my EM5 with a Pana 7-14 in snow for a shot angle before to the shock of the many SLR users in my team who would rather die than get that shot, have had my EP5 attacked by hail in the middle of a nowwhere in Annapurna before and yes, had my old EP3 with its 14-150mm lens whacked almost frozen by rain in Tokyo winter and had it splashed by sea water while on a small boat shooting birds in Jiangnan, China before for starters.

There are many seniors here who've shot in places I can only dream of.

Anyway , my feel is now prob your need for wifi is ranked no.1 with weather resistance no.2. Weight doesn't really matter that much. Your best bet is the EM1 or XT1. Both are built like tanks and for the weight vs performance ratio , are both worth every cent of their money. I've the EM1 (which meets all your criteria other than weight and cost) and played with the XT1. EM1 wise, all the weather lens are ready out in market while Fuji's weather resistant lenses are still not out yet.

OK guys, so what if I drop the budget... forget about price... So does anything exist in the market that can fulfil all criteria?
    Sony A7!!!
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    The closest I find is GH3/ GH4... but they weighed at least 100g more...
    Yup, GH3 FTW! Meets all except weight and retro styling. Unless you're rich enough to purchase a camera company and have them custom make something to your exact specs, everyone ends up making compromises on their ideal specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Sony A7!!!
    With the light leaky mount.. I am no longer sure if its still weather sealed.
    I've read elsewhere that the claim was withdrawn....
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys...ure-resistant/

Yes, THIS is Pentax K30 WR! by jenkwang, on Flickr

K30 IS weather sealed!
    But no Wifi, and not a MILC.
    But there are at least 3 good performing cheap weather sealed zooms for you to purchase and at least 6-8 high end ones too.

Anyway, I think the EM1 best fits your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    With the light leaky mount.. I am no longer sure if its still weather sealed. I've read elsewhere that the claim was withdrawn.... http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys...ure-resistant/
    Ya read that too but I'm not sure whether the withdrawing of claim is official or cooked up.
    Anyway , if weather resistance is a priority , make sure u've weather resistant lenses too.

Blog Entries

I thought so that nothing might exist now too.
    Yes, I understand that I may need to compromise and forego something.

Of course it is the best. It is a Waterproof camera, not weather resistant or weather sealed. The Nikon AW 1 can take shoot underwater, and yes, even sea-water. There is no other digital interchangeable lens camera that can do this.

There is no other digital interchangeable lens camera that can do this.
    It's a new tech.
    I wonder if any of underwater shooters tested this. The choice of lens is also limited to 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 and 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 30th April 2014 at 11:40 AM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    It's a new tech.
    I wonder if any of underwater shooters tested this. The choice of lens is also limited to 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 and 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6.
    Good enuff for most scenarios... Were u expecting bokeh or supertelephoto shots underwater?
    hi

Yes, I was considering this too.
    Although movie is only 30 fps.
    If only they made better movies as 60fps is common on most prosumer upwards camera.
    But might have to compromise if no choice.
    For the weight, I meant under 450g without lens.
    But I hope the lens isn't too heavy or bulky.
    I don't need to get a camera right now.
    Maybe I need it in late June.
    Will look out for second hand deals.
    I'm a noob where movies are concerned but the movie set up menu on my X-T1 says it can do 60fps.

Of course it is the best. It is a Waterproof camera, not weather resistant or weather sealed. The Nikon AW 1 can take shoot underwater, and yes, even sea-water. There is no other digital interchangeable lens camera that can do this.
    This looks like a great camera for outdoor adventures & water sports, for activities like snorkelling, canoeing, white water rafting, surfing, etc.

Think TS already MIA & "bo hue"
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 30th April 2014 at 12:42 PM.

Hi, The guys here are frank in a good natured way, don't worry

Hmm, honestly maybe u should sit down and start weighing which spec is more important and so on. The EM5(elite) is a 2014 model and it also doesn't have wifi.

To have 4 cameras damaged by water I'm really taken aback as I've shot in rain before with non weather resistant cameras (EP5 for example) and they are still as good as new. Learn how to maintain and clean your equipment so they run the extra mile.

Thinking back and forth , ya, I'll still recommend the EM5 with a wifi card. This way only one thing in your list isn't met : weight. And frankly anyone who feels the EM5 is heavy probably should start considering shooting a handphone instead.

Lastly , do a favor for yourself - it's good to have a budget so look around for the prices of lenses in the brand u are considering and ensure it's within your affordable range. Buying a $1800 body isn't going to be any useful if all the native lenses are above $1000, likewise getting an EM5 at 6xx second hand opens the doors to solid primes at below $500 (17:1.8 , 25/1.8 , 45/1.8 and kit zooms below $200 even - 14-45 & 14-42)

Is wifi so important ?
    Hi, new to this forum..

I bought the EM-5 in March and I have to say it is really a good camera.. in terms of light weight over DSLR etc..
    I got it at $1388 at HVN with 2 lens.. downsize is that my hand is kinda big so may not feel the full grippy enough on the cam..

Quote Originally Posted by manjie View Post
    Hi, new to this forum.. I bought the EM-5 in March and I have to say it is really a good camera.. in terms of light weight over DSLR etc.. I got it at $1388 at HVN with 2 lens.. downsize is that my hand is kinda big so may not feel the full grippy enough on the cam..
    Hey , welcome to MFT

If it's a full grippy grip u r going for , u can consider the JB grip for EM5 if on a budget, alternatively consider the HLD6 if u r willing to spend a bit more. Both gives a significant improvement on the EM5's grip.

Quote Originally Posted by manjie View Post
    Hi, new to this forum..

I bought the EM-5 in March and I have to say it is really a good camera.. in terms of light weight over DSLR etc..
    I got it at $1388 at HVN with 2 lens.. downsize is that my hand is kinda big so may not feel the full grippy enough on the cam..
    Hey , welcome to MFT

If it's a full grippy grip u r going for , u can consider the JB grip for EM5 if on a budget, alternatively consider the HLD6 if u r willing to spend a bit more. Both gives a significant improvement on the EM5's grip.
    For full grip, I got the undermentioned from ebay,

I did a bit of modification though... saw away some part of the grip to allow assess to the SD card. Of course my workmanship sucks big time, but it serve my purpose, so I don't care.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    It's a new tech.
    Just watch the video posted. If that is not test, I wonder what is.

As for lenses, just have to wait. It is a new system afterall. the 2 lenses will already cover most of what you need for underwater shots. The only thing lacking is a fisheye which underwater photographers use a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast