Thread: Rolls of 36 or 24 makes more sense?

Default Rolls of 36 or 24 makes more sense?

Hi all,

I am using an SLR camera and has been using rolls of 36 film. The problem is,
    I need to finish all the 36 before I can sent it for developing. But if I use rolls of 24, I just need to finish 24 shoot and quickly sent it for developing and get to see my pictures.

But buying 36 is cheaper than 24 in terms of number of exp. and $. Anyone has any advise? Or this is a stupid issue of my own?

There're people who buy bulk film and roll to their own requirements.. Maybe say.. 20 exp?

u dun have to finish 36 to devlop the roll mah,can just send it in..

better to have more than not enuff frames on hand..

vince123123
    Guests

From my last calculation like many years ago when I was still using film, buy a roll of 36. If i remember correctly, getting a roll of 36 will cost you about the same as a 24 if you shoot until about frame 27. Hence just get a 36, and you can process it once you reach 27. Anything more is a bonus.

What you should do to take into account current film prices is:

(Cost of 36-frame roll)/36 = Cost of 1 frame in a 36-Frame Roll (x)

Cost of a 24-Frame Roll / Cost of 1 frame in a 36-Frame Roll (x) = Y

Y will be the number you need to reach in your 36 Frame roll before anything after that becomes a bonus (ie if you had bought a 24 instead).

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Hi all,

I am using an SLR camera and has been using rolls of 36 film. The problem is,
    I need to finish all the 36 before I can sent it for developing. But if I use rolls of 24, I just need to finish 24 shoot and quickly sent it for developing and get to see my pictures.

But buying 36 is cheaper than 24 in terms of number of exp. and $. Anyone has any advise? Or this is a stupid issue of my own?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    From my last calculation like many years ago when I was still using film, buy a roll of 36. If i remember correctly, getting a roll of 36 will cost you about the same as a 24 if you shoot until about frame 27. Hence just get a 36, and you can process it once you reach 27. Anything more is a bonus.

What you should do to take into account current film prices is:

(Cost of 36-frame roll)/36 = Cost of 1 frame in a 36-Frame Roll (x)

Cost of a 24-Frame Roll / Cost of 1 frame in a 36-Frame Roll (x) = Y

Y will be the number you need to reach in your 36 Frame roll before anything after that becomes a bonus (ie if you had bought a 24 instead).

now that's a real logical brain at work!

personally, before my company/industry switched to digital, we all used 36s. but that's because we're snap crazy people without the need to bear the costs of developing them.

somehow, you'll usually manage to use up the last few, if you're already at the end. the problem is instead, when you've just started a new roll and you've only got two shots in there. lol.