Hi guys, I am using a S5500 now with a 10x zoom but I am thinking of increasing it by adding teleconverters (expanding the focal length). I have some questions though so hope some experts can enlighten me.
1. Adding TC doesnt technically increase the zoom, more the focal length, say 35-135 become 70 to 270 with a 2x zoom. So that means the object when u zoom to full will be 2 times in size with the TC? However, that also means that the object u taking with least zoom eg. at 70mm will also be twice in size?
2. I heard there are problem with TCs in terms of vignatting (wrong spelling) that means got dark rings around the object? And I also read that with TCs you must zoom to full to take the pic? Say I add on a 1.5X Tc to an original 10X zoom, can I take the pic at 13X zoom instead of the full zoom at 15X? Sorry I should mention in terms of focal distance but i lazy to calculate.
3. Adding TCs is also very dependent on the aperture settings of your camera? I think I have read about it before but dont quite understand it. Cos for each camera there are 2 ranges of aperture settings given, one for wide zooms and one for tele right? I suspect its got to do with the amount of light coming in to the camera when you add on Tcs and you have to compensate by adjusting the aperture? Depending on the allowable range of the apeture on your DC, it will affect the kind of TCs you can get?
4. I also read that some TCs with 2X zoom also technicallly doesnt achieve that....prob only reach around 1.6 to 1.8?
5. When we buy a Tc, to see if its compatible with our DC, do we only look at the thread size, for example 55mm?
6. Lastly, can anyone recommend a 2x TC for my S5500? cos in my manaual the Tc was recommended as TL-FX9 which is only 1.5X.